PDA

View Full Version : need some reference/reading material.

hunt-n-fool
12-26-2010, 01:07 PM
where do you read about/videos of the electronic ice fishing fish finders, vexlars or what ever they are called?

Thinking about getting one, might want to do some homework before purchasing!

Any recommendations etc ?

Buzzcat
12-26-2010, 01:50 PM
http://vexilar.com

No experience with them myself, but I'm sure a google will dig up a few ice-fishing forums with all the info you need.

hunt-n-fool
12-26-2010, 06:11 PM
not sure why I didnt look there to start with.....

thanks !

Buzzcat
12-26-2010, 06:20 PM
not sure why I didnt look there to start with.....

Well, I'll tell ya why... it's because you look like your avatar.

:rofl:

Just kiddin'.... :thumbup:

ro2
12-26-2010, 09:20 PM
once you learn how to use a vexilar, nothing else compares

hunt-n-fool
12-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Well, I'll tell ya why... it's because you look like your avatar.

:rofl:

Just kiddin'.... :thumbup:

Thats an insult to my (deceased) dog........ she was alot smarter than me ! :D

mikethepike
12-28-2010, 06:06 PM
once you learn how to use a vexilar, nothing else compares

And this is based on you only using a vexilar? The vexilar has moving mechanical parts that move and can break...the Lowrance x67c / x68c have none .

The vex is wwII Analog technology with no history of what just happened and not upgraded since wwII , The Lowrance has Digital technology , with a small 1-8 second variable memory , gps capable, with flasher or chart mode.

Side by side i will outfish the vex, marcum or any other analog flasher...the Lowrance just is an EASY to use machine right out of the box AND CHEAPER!!!!!!!

1 more thing...the Vexilar makes an annoying HUM that gives you a headache, Fisherman who use them (vex's) are shown to have smaller units (penis') as opposed to fisherman who dont

mikethepike
12-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Hunt in fool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gbhC65x5TE

Check out you tube or the www.lowrance.com and try the x-67c on line or pm me so i can show you in person at a local lake

wishn-i-was-fishn
12-28-2010, 09:35 PM
And this is based on you only using a vexilar? The vexilar has moving mechanical parts that move and can break...the Lowrance x67c / x68c have none .

The vex is wwII Analog technology with no history of what just happened and not upgraded since wwII , The Lowrance has Digital technology , with a small 1-8 second variable memory , gps capable, with flasher or chart mode.

Side by side i will outfish the vex, marcum or any other analog flasher...the Lowrance just is an EASY to use machine right out of the box AND CHEAPER!!!!!!!

1 more thing...the Vexilar makes an annoying HUM that gives you a headache, Fisherman who use them (vex's) are shown to have smaller units (penis') as opposed to fisherman who dont
:lolup:

WoW
12-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Hunt in fool:

Check out you tube or the www.lowrance.com and try the x-67c on line or pm me so i can show you in person at a local lake

Ok, 300 bucks for the flasher....what are the best cameras?

I gotta get back in the hard water game and alot of things have changed.

mikethepike
12-30-2010, 01:32 PM
....what are the best cameras?

The $$ to be spent on a camera is endless. They range from $99.00 for a cheap black and white that will last a few seasons to something Jacque Cousteau (sp) would've used that will set you back 100K ...so the question is : how much are you going too use it?

I have an aqua view that i paid 420.ish about 7 years ago. Its black and white (color will cost more) , with a 6" screen , infrared lights for dark and evening viewing, 100' cord and a single lens for directonal viewing.

These are great for viewing structure, pulling your bait away from smaller fish to lure your intended target, keeping kids involved, finding treasure/ sunglasses, keys or checking out the marine life.

Go to www.cabelas.com and see there whole lineup--basically the more options and the bigger the screen adds more to the price

You can also hook it up to a video recorder and film your dinner being caught that day!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg9pGbHnHV0

hunt-n-fool
12-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Hunt in fool:

Thanks Mike, I ended up doing alot of reading and purchasing a 67C ice machine. I got the older model, as opposed to the new model that is out of stock @ cabelas.

I actually have the same model on my fishing boat, didnt know it even had that capability ! I am a true dunce I guess, but hey, fat dumb AND happy is the way to go.

Miss you over on MS bud :)

WoW
12-30-2010, 05:20 PM
The $$ to be spent on a camera is endless.

I am a KISS kinda guy when it comes to ANY form of electronic gadgetry.

But, if I truly intend to get back into ice fishing (and chasing eyes on the bay), I want to know what is going on beneath the surface of where I am sitting since the guys around me are going to be able to do that as well.

Back in the day....before all of this stuff....it was try and know the structure, bore a zillion holes in a general area and move around. Before that it was spud a few to get you through and hope that you held your mouth right.

Today, ya almost have to match the hatch when it comes to lures and what toys your neighbor has in his shanty too. Really, success sort of depends on it doesn't it?

mikethepike
12-31-2010, 12:15 AM
Today, ya almost have to match the hatch when it comes to lures and what toys your neighbor has in his shanty too. Really, success sort of depends on it doesn't it?

I dont worry what everybody else is doing too a certain extent. As far as the guy next too me , i run my own program based on what i've learned or observed . If i'm using purple and i'm catching nothing and everybody else is using chartuese...its a no brainer. You can throw 1 color 1 day and crush em ...come back another day with the same lure and nothing. Some days it doesnt matter what you do...THEY DONT BITE!

I use electronics like the Lowrance x67c . Its a simple device to show me depth, water temp, bottom structure, compostion, fish presence and the size of the fish i am targeting. If i dont catch anything for 10 minutes or less, i'll hole hop until i do . I'll pick up 1 or 5 per hole , some holes i get a goose egg.

I have 6 rods prerigged with jigs that i'll throw at them . If 1 doesnt work, i can immediately reach for another color and try to make them bite and so on. Its such a cat and mouse game ...and this kitty can bring some game:cheers:

I work with alot of other people a we trade spots and info . Sometimes when the stars align we can all go out together (obligations 1st) and talk smack , kick fish butt and have some wobbly pops...makes for a challenging afternoon on the ice

Here is a good tip if you dont have electronics: look for holes with alot of cigarette butts:smoke: , sunflower seeds or the snow that is matted down. This shows me that someone stayed there along time and either wasted his day on 1 hole or clobbered them. Start there and drill holes around it if it is promising.

langenc
01-02-2011, 03:28 PM
""1 more thing...the Vexilar makes an annoying HUM that gives you a headache, Fisherman who use them (vex's) are shown to have smaller units (penis') as opposed to fisherman who dont"" quote from Mike on post #7

A hum will do that-maybe that is the reason...