PDA

View Full Version : My conversation with chuck taylor this afternoon

RSF
05-22-2005, 02:40 PM
I asked him to put in to words for me so i could post it here! Thanks again Chuck always a pro.

Amigo,

Yep, I sure do. As usual, the rumor mongers are wrong.

As the inventor of the Tac Load in the first place, I have strong feelings about some of the silly goings on we're seeing currently.

My complaint is that the Tac Load that most teach and the one being criticized is the one I started with back in the early 1980s and quickly abandoned because it was too error prone. By adding one additional step, the error percentages dropped drastically, way below that which would be considered satisfactory, and I teach it in all my classes where Speed and Tactical Reloads are appropriate.

Have written a number of articles on it over the years, the latest of which is for Harris Pubs, out of NYC. They do COMBAT HANDGUNS, GUNS & WEAPONS FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT and a slug of annuals. My guess is that it will appear in one of those fairly soon, since have been paid for it!

Also have an article assigned on the Tac Load for HANDUNS magazine as well, but it isn't finished yet. Will probably get it in to them in the nexgt two months or so.

Too many of these techniques were designed in five minutes on a shooting range by people whose egos allow them to think that they're smarter than everyone who went before them and thus their way must be better. The trouble is that it doesn't work worth a hoot in the real world. The erroneous Tac Load currently being taught by many is one of these because it doesn't take into consideration that the shooter will have engaged at least one target and successfully neutralized it. That means his hands will be wet and shaking, something the firing range commandos don't realize.

That's why the error percentages are excessive - he ends up dropping one or both mags or putting the wrong one back into the gun. Moreover, to do it, he must look at the pistol when he should be looking at the zone of conflict.

I also feel that there are three places for the pistol - the holster, the Ready Position and Point. The erroneous Tac Load forces the shooter to bring the weapon up in front of his chest to perform it, which is none of the three. Violation of one of the cardinal rules of combat - KISS.

Hope have been of some help.

Warmest personal regards,

Chuck Taylor

Barbara
05-22-2005, 03:05 PM
I was going to mention that his article from last month in OFCC's newsletter said about the same thing.