PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE AR-15 help needed

jmoser
05-26-2005, 09:24 PM
Problem solved. The Bushmaster DCM 2 stage trigger uses a 'Vlier' spring loaded screw for the 2nd stage - this was the longer screw. I had to grip it with needle nose pliers and carefully back it out after loosening the set screw.

Also learned that Allen keys come in .028" and .035", new additions to my tool box.

BTW the new Jewell trigger is nice!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the DIY gunsmithing forum is dead I'll post this here:

Trying to remove the safety selector from my Bushmaster AR-15, need to remove 2 set screws and 2 adjustment screws so I can push out the lever body from the lower.

My smallest .050" hex key (allen) does not fit the 2 set screws or the tip of the longer adjustment screw. The longer screw looks like the head is filled in with something?

Is this a special tool? Metric [1 mm?] Am I missing something or just dense? Help please!

Knimrod
05-26-2005, 09:58 PM
...moved to the DIY gunsmithing forum. Thanks for livening it up a little ;)

karcent
05-27-2005, 06:25 AM
Set screws? Adjustment screws?
This can't be a stock AR-15.

On a stock AR-15, you would remove the pistolgrip, take out the spring and detent (they will probably fall out) push the hammer all of the way to the rear and the safety should pull out to the left.

Do you have a Jewel Trigger?

jmoser
05-27-2005, 07:54 AM
Aahh - wise questions you ask Karcent!

Rifle is stock but it is the DCM model with 'special' 2 stage trigger.

I am installing a Jewel but it uses the factory safety.

The adjustment screws are for overtravel and letoff, the set screws lock these other screws in place.

Grip is off along with spring and retaining plunger, these other screws must come off so the safety lever can be pushed out.

Help?

jmoser
05-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Well - I learned that allen keys go down to .028" and .035".

That will get the set screws loose, I have to reexamine the longer of the 2 adjustment screws.

Since the Jewel can use a standard safety maybe I will order a 'stock' replacement and keep the adjustable version to go with the original trigger.