PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy of an semiauto pistol

afielder45
01-03-2011, 11:11 AM
I have searched and can not find a thread that answers my questions. I am looking for a semiauto pistol for home defense and shooting, possibly competively later on down the road. Wife isn't a huge fan of guns, so owning an assortment of pistols is not an option, for now. I have guns already, just not a pistol, like I am looking for. I have shot a berreta 92 and a Ruger P95. Both at 25 yds. To me the Ruger is not consistent. The range I shoot at is set up 25-50-100yds. I do not really want a 1911 framed gun, because I will be carrying this gun also. I am not going to mention the guns that I am looking at, because it seems that, alone, becomes a topic that others want to debat. I want a semi that:
1. I can carry (concealled)
2. Is accurate and consistent at least to 25yds
3. Not going to break the bank. I would like to find one used, since it will be carried, I won't get all pissy when the gun gets wear marks on it.

I am looking at bi-tone guns, since I have read, more than once, that this will help accuracy.

Please help

.44Smith&Wesson
01-03-2011, 11:38 AM
.I am looking at bi-tone guns, since I have read, more than once, that this will help accuracy.

:doh:

Where did you "read" this?

jackle1886
01-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Frame coloring has nothing to do with accuracy. Pretty much any compact sized pistol will be plenty accurate enough at 25yards. Even my little PM9 can hit man sized targets at 25 yards. I would suggest going to a gun store and feeling everything you can get your hands on. My personal suggestion would be the M&P line. The compact will give you a shorter grip which is easier to conceal, but you can still use the full size magazine for range duty.

afielder45
01-03-2011, 01:36 PM

When I did a search for accuracy, it came up. It was a thread from 2008.

pkuptruck
01-03-2011, 01:44 PM
1911's.

agroomes1
01-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Frame coloring has nothing to do with accuracy. Pretty much any compact sized pistol will be plenty accurate enough at 25yards. Even my little PM9 can hit man sized targets at 25 yards. I would suggest going to a gun store and feeling everything you can get your hands on. My personal suggestion would be the M&P line. The compact will give you a shorter grip which is easier to conceal, but you can still use the full size magazine for range duty.

+1. Go to a place that rents guns and see which one suits you best. It all comes down to personal preference in the gun world.

cmike
01-03-2011, 02:16 PM
For long range you need a long slide which is inconsistent with concealed carry.

Decide what you really want in one gun.

afielder45
01-03-2011, 02:17 PM
I am sorry to eveyone for there being two of these threads that I posted. Did not think that this one posted. I was kicked out when I hit post thread.

Anyways, I guess I am looking for consistencey. Like I posted in the other thread, I shot a Ruger P95. It did not appear to be consistent. Could it of been me? Yes. Could it of been that particular gun? I don't know, that is what I am here to find out.

Are semi's like revolvers? Like my 8 1/2" 44 mag is more accurate (consistent) than a 4" 44 mag. Do I need to go with a 5" tactical, as opposed to a 4" service?

reggie64
01-04-2011, 10:59 AM
I am sorry to eveyone for there being two of these threads that I posted. Did not think that this one posted. I was kicked out when I hit post thread.

Anyways, I guess I am looking for consistencey. Like I posted in the other thread, I shot a Ruger P95. It did not appear to be consistent. Could it of been me? Yes. Could it of been that particular gun? I don't know, that is what I am here to find out.

Are semi's like revolvers? Like my 8 1/2" 44 mag is more accurate (consistent) than a 4" 44 mag. Do I need to go with a 5" tactical, as opposed to a 4" service?

if you do your part with most modern semi autos, you will achieve favorable results. glocks, hk's, sigs, M&P's, XD's, walthers, etc are worth looking at, but its up to you as to which one is the "best" for you.

at 35 yards i can keep all my shots in a pie plate with my HK P30, but ive put a few thousand rounds down the pipe.

arguably the most accurate semi auto that fits the bill for what your looking for is the HK P7 or one of the P7 variants.

it sounds like the biggest factor for you in terms of "consistency" is going to be practice. each and every gun is going to have its own quirks when it comes to shooting and it could take you a few hundred rounds to figure them out.

Joeywhat
01-04-2011, 11:15 AM
When I did a search for accuracy, it came up. It was a thread from 2008.

Let me guess..XDtalk.com...?

ChessieMike
01-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Bi-Tone does nothing for the gun other than make it look different from a mono-tone gun. You are going to have to rent/bower some guns and shoot them yourself to find out which one you like and are more consitant with.
I have a Sig 229 that I can hit a target well at 25yards, I can shoot my glock 23 but the group never seems as close. A friend of mine is the opposite, his glock groups are closer than his sig groups. All these guns are accurate it is almost always the shooter that cause these pistols to have poor groups.
Good luck with your search!

ChessieMike
01-04-2011, 11:57 AM
I do not really want a 1911 framed gun, because I will be carrying this gun also. Please help

Lots of people carry 1911's, so I don't know why you say this. Plus my Kimber is the most consitant/accurate pistol I shoot and if I was to stick to your requirements I would have to choose my Kimber TLE II.

Ghost1941
01-04-2011, 12:14 PM
1911's.

This.

Lots of people carry 1911's, so I don't know why you say this. Plus my Kimber is the most consitant/accurate pistol I shoot and if I was to stick to your requirements I would have to choose my Kimber TLE II.

and this...

I carry my IDPA gun... It's a full sized 1911. Conceals fine and doesn't print even with the clothes that I wear.

I carried a Walther before, good gun as well. I don't care so much for Glocks or XD's... just doesn't feel comfortable in my hand. It really is personal preference like a lot of the other guys have mentioned.

Leader
01-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Yes as a general rule, the longer the barrel the easier it is to be accurate with the gun.
That said, I know people that are much better shots with a 2" barrel then I am with a 6".
I would think 4" would be the compromise between accuracy & conceal-ability.

jeffegg2
01-31-2011, 08:11 AM
The way it was told to me is that any pistol will be more accurate than it's owner. The determiner of accuracy will be you.

bsf
01-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Try to actually shoot some pistols and then make a decision. Better yet, shoot some pistols with someone who is qualified to help you in making a good purchase choice. It is hard to come into this “green”; sift through all the advice on the internet; and then go back out to the real world and make a good choice. It really helps to have well thought out criteria. Understanding application is very important. Not being able to break out of a current paradigm can be hurtful, in that some criteria you set now may be based on ignorance or misconception.

For example, you currently believe 1911’s are not suitable for concealed carry for you. Countless individuals successfully accomplish that, though. Why do you believe that? Are you worried it may “print” through clothing with the typical IWB holster? If so, is that really a big deal if your carry of a concealed handgun is in compliance with law and possibly employment terms? Second, maybe a wardrobe change would allow for better concealment of a 1911. Third, there are different size versions of 1911’s. Fourth, holster location and cant cannot affect concealability.

I am not advocating 1911’s. I am just pointing out that a good selection is greatly aided by well thought out criteria. Now, you can refine your criteria through the trial and error of multiple purchases of pistols + gear, or you can seek out advice + first hand experience. I suggest you find a gun store that has a range and knowledgeable and helpful staff. If you post up your location, you may be able to hook up with a knowledgeable individual or two at a range and check out their guns and gear prior to a purchase.

Ol` Joe
01-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Barrel length means little as to whether or a gun is accurate. The shorter barrels are stiffer and that contributes to the accuracy more then any one other factor. You can find a 2" to shoot as well or better then a 8" as long as both are of the same quality.
The barrels length however can add to the length of the sight radius and that can make a big difference in how easy the pistol is to shoot. The more space between the front and rear sight the less err in minor misalignments. Most people shoot better with a longer barreled pistol due to this added sight radius, then due to any difference in inherent accuracy of the pistols or their barrel themselves.
Full size 1911 have proven themselves in bullseye and other target games and their "thin" construction makes concealing them easy compared to other styles, especially the fatter double stack mag types IMO. 75 years of service with the military in 4 wars wasn`t due to any problem with reliability, and ammo is reasonable and avialable everywhere.
They seem a excellent choice for what you appear to want.

_DK_
01-31-2011, 10:22 PM
bi-tone XD's are the most accurate guns, don't let the haters bring you down...

What part of the state are you in? If your local to me you're welcome to try my M&P or XD so long as you pay for the ammo and range time.

Al Lowe
02-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Well, this is what I usually carry, concealed or openly. :)

http://www.michiganpinkpistols.com/images/ria45nickel.jpg

Anyone says you can't conceal a 1911, doesn't know what they're talking about. :D

ltdave
02-02-2011, 09:02 AM
i didnt bother reading through the previous 19 posts but what i gather from skimming them was that you CAN have accuracy in a semi-auto pistol...

but what do i know my G22 only shoots like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/ltdave/P1010591.jpg
at about 22 yards from a weaver stance...

mopedman
02-02-2011, 10:18 AM
I can put all my rounds in a pie plate at 40-45 yards. With my H&K P7. Want a good shooting pistol try a P7.

It Has a fixed barrel witch makes it more accurate then most pistols.

Jeep olllllo
02-02-2011, 11:58 AM
You mentioned the beretta 92. Whats wrong with it? You can pick up one for 400 to 450. Also look at the Beretta px4 storm. In terms of bang for your buck, you cant go wrong with one.

Based on the fact that you are new to firearms I would advise against it, but if you feel up to it, go for a used Glock. They can be had on the cheap and never wear out. But I think the light trigger pull and lack of frame mounted safety might work against you.

Also there is zero truth to the statement that Bi-tone makes a gun more accurate. It is simply a stainless steel slide as opposed to a steel slide. The only difference is looks and corrosion resistance. But since you do not live in the ocean, I wouldn't worry about corrosion at all.

DEVIOUS99
02-14-2011, 11:03 PM
sweet

taylorcalero
03-08-2011, 07:20 PM
rent and try before you buy

jeffegg2
03-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Any pistol that you buy will be a lot more accurate than you are.

Dabears!
03-09-2011, 05:37 PM
which is more accurate?
OD green glocks or black glocks?

Knightrider03m
03-09-2011, 07:46 PM

From the same person that has an XD

:hide:

Well, this is what I usually carry, concealed or openly. :)

http://www.michiganpinkpistols.com/images/ria45nickel.jpg

Anyone says you can't conceal a 1911, doesn't know what they're talking about. :D

I love that finish :-o

Jeep olllllo
03-09-2011, 08:59 PM
which is more accurate?
OD green glocks or black glocks?

This is a trick question. The most accurate set up you can get is to get a black Glock frame, and put the barrel from an OD green Glock in it. This is what all the snipers use.

Leader
03-09-2011, 09:29 PM
This is a trick question. The most accurate set up you can get is to get a black Glock frame, and put the barrel from an OD green Glock in it. This is what all the snipers use.

Naaa...

An XD is what you need.

Jeep olllllo
03-10-2011, 07:54 AM
Naaa...

An XD is what you need.

Winner!

KamikazCloud1
03-10-2011, 09:51 AM
You cant go wrong with a Glock. Real good prices With the best reputation. I would recommend a full size, still concealable yet great for competition. Dead accurate at 25 yards out of the box. I can "touch" steel at 100 yards. You can to practice makes perfect.

Dabears!
03-10-2011, 12:01 PM
why didnt i think of that jeep!

Jeep olllllo
03-10-2011, 12:32 PM
why didnt i think of that jeep!

Because clearly you know nothing about Glocks :togo: :-D