PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on a weird situation...

jesmith18
01-05-2011, 04:32 PM
First, let me start off by saying hello to everyone. This is my first post and I'm sure its not going to be a very common question. My neighbor has been going through a tough time as of late with some unfortunate personal and health problems and losing his house. So a few weeks ago, he asked me to store his guns for him in my safe while trying to get things back together for himself, which I did for him. Well, two nights ago he came over and told me he wanted me to have them. So my question is, since I didn't pay for them how do I go about getting them out of his name and into mine if he sticks with his decision? I dropped him off at a local church yesterday and haven't seen him since, so I'm definately going to wait to do anything until I have a chance to talk to him again and know for sure he wants to give them to me. I've never owned a pistol before so I don't know how to go about it? Sorry, this post is so long, but it's a difficult situation. Thanks for any advice.

Signess
01-05-2011, 04:38 PM
For the pistols, there is paperwork that needs to be filled out and signed by both parties. You can get this paperwork at your local police dept. or sheriff's dept. Same paperwork is needed just as if you had purchased them. (puchase permit) Once you get the purchase permit FOR EACH hand gun. You have 10 days to return it to your local PD.

Any shotguns or long guns, I'd highly suggest some type of bill of sale so family and friends start getting greedy. There may be a reason why he doesn't want any of them to get the firearms.

cobra
01-05-2011, 05:05 PM
I was thinking if he files for bankruptcy, you may get dragged into the case because he transferred assets, but I believe there's some sort of firearm exemption???

XDM 40 cal
01-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Well as Signess said, Perhaps a letter in the form of sale of the long guns ...

even though you don't need to register them...

Eric00
01-05-2011, 07:10 PM
do the paper work needed and PAY the guy for them, Im sure the money could help im out in sme way

scecil
01-06-2011, 02:20 PM
do the paper work needed and PAY the guy for them, Im sure the money could help im out in sme way
If you don't want to PAY for them, im sure a handful of guys on here would gladly buy them, especially if it was to help out a friend.

jrak123
01-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Might want to be careful about holding onto/storing pistols for someone else. If I recall it isn't necessarily legal, unless you have a CPL? Hopefully some of the legal chaps can speak up on this. But for now I wouldn't publicize it too much

shurhouse
01-07-2011, 07:16 PM

pnpxtreme
01-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Might want to be careful about holding onto/storing pistols for someone else. If I recall it isn't necessarily legal, unless you have a CPL? Hopefully some of the legal chaps can speak up on this. But for now I wouldn't publicize it too much

I wouldn't hold anyone's guns for them. Never know if someone is hiding something. Not sayin he is... just be careful.

Jaws
01-09-2011, 10:53 AM

:yeahthat: or sell them on here and split it with the guy. Either way you need to paperwork on the pistols or give them back.

jrak123
01-09-2011, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't hold anyone's guns for them. Never know if someone is hiding something. Not sayin he is... just be careful.
I agree with you, I wouldn't do it either, but I do believe there is a legal conundrum here as well