PDA

View Full Version : Selling a Rifle

lizardking8610
01-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Am I correct when I say that in MI I can legally, and without paperwork from the police, sell a rifle to someone with a verifiable age of over 18?

hopeitsfast
01-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Am I correct when I say that in MI I can legally, and without paperwork from the police, sell a rifle to someone with a verifiable age of over 18?
Yup, unless you know for some reason he isn't legal. Like if you knew he had a felony or something.

ETA: I am not a lawyer and this opinion is worth exactly what you paid.

Dansjeep2000
01-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Thats what I have always done.

01-08-2011, 10:07 AM
For rifles ; I like to make out a purchaser / seller receipt so that if there is a problem later on you have the names ( printed & signed ) , date , price , drivers license number info. If the buyer will not give that info. walk away. Goes both ways buying & selling rifles / cars / boats / RVs etc.
If a pistol you have info already on permit and if private party also a sales receipt as above or write CPL number of seller ( if he has one ) on back of your permit copy. Get all the info you think you need and you are good to go . :wink:

who dat
01-08-2011, 10:19 AM
For rifles ; I like to make out a purchaser / seller receipt so that if there is a problem later on you have the names ( printed & signed ) , date , price , drivers license number info. If the buyer will not give that info. walk away. Goes both ways buying & selling rifles / cars / boats / RVs etc.
If a pistol you have info already on permit and if private party also a sales receipt as above or write CPL number of seller ( if he has one ) on back of your permit copy. Get all the info you think you need and you are good to go . :wink:Great idea...pass out your sensitive ID numbers to lay around in somebody's car or closet.

NEVER EVER give your DL #. :doh:

michigan_rkba
01-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Great idea...pass out your sensitive ID numbers to lay around in somebody's car or closet.

NEVER EVER give your DL #. :doh:

+1.

MINI-14MAN
01-17-2011, 12:02 PM
I just use a simple bill of sale with address that matches DL and to make sure they are from MI .Signature and date and thats it.And of course to see they are of age.I would never give out my DL# or expect someone else to.

01-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks for for the catch guys .... My bad for suggesting DL number exchange. As last post stated , good to use DL to confirm address, state etc.

nitrous_bob
01-18-2011, 10:22 PM
i can see where you'd like to have THEIR sensitive info for legal purposes... but to be honest... if you ID me for anything other than beer... you can keep it

but yeah.... sell it like its a video game..... no papers no nuthin. aint america great? (well some of it anyways... i lived in cali for 5)

taylorcalero
03-08-2011, 07:21 PM
yep , your fine

rstipp
04-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks for all the responses, I am about to try and sell a rifle and this thread answered a lot of my questions.