PDA

View Full Version : SE Michigan

lizardking8610
01-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Im 24 and I want to get into competitive shooting, is there any place near detroit/grosse pointe where I can get started? Im def a beginner, have never shot in a match of any kind. Just an enthusiast right now.

thanks

Rm

wurm
01-07-2011, 08:51 PM
What kind of competitive shooting are you interested in? Practical pistol shooting like IDPA or USPSA/IPSC? Bullseye? Rifle stuff? 3 gun? Can't forget the shotgunners like Trap, Skeet, etc. We in south eastern Michigan are pretty lucky as there are a bunch of great clubs running various competitions within easy driving distance.

Let us know what you are interested in and I'm sure one of us can point you in the right direction.

lizardking8610
01-09-2011, 06:57 PM
I would be interested in Handgun shooting as well as rifle shooting (possibly target)

Thanks for your consideration

mikee1973
01-09-2011, 08:57 PM
I would be interested in Handgun shooting as well as rifle shooting (possibly target)

Thanks for your consideration
For handgun i suggest checking out DSC for their Defensive Pistol Practice, they set it up similar to an IDPA course of fire to get you familiar with the process and they also work with you for proper presentation from a holster and other safety items. This is a good way to see how an IDPA stage may look/run without it being an actual competition

wurm
01-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Winter isn't the best time for getting into competitive shooting as many clubs shut down until spring. There are however things still going on if you are interested and don't mind driving a little.

Closest thing I can think of to you is bowling pin shooting at Peters Indoor Gun Range on Gratiot in Roseville on Thursday nights. Starts at 3pm though I'd call before heading up to make sure it is going on. I've only been a couple of times but have always had a good time.

Top Gun down in Taylor has a bowling pin night as well. Wednesdays at 5:30. They also have USPSA practice first and third Thursday of the month and a match fourth Sunday. I shoot this as much as I can and there are always new people there.

Mikee1973 mentioned the Detroit Sportsmen's Congress in Utica and they host a bunch of different shooting disciplines. During the warmer months the Defensive Pistol Practice is an excellent place to get your feet wet running a pistol in a friendly, non intimidating way. DSC also hosts IDPA and USPSA, outdoors during much of the year and indoor during the winter. USPSA practices on Tuesday nights, USPSA matches third Sunday, and IDPA practices are early Saturday mornings. Contact Jerry on this site to see when they are getting that going. I shoot at DSC a lot and would highly recommend giving it a try. I shot my first ever IDPA match (and first ever match period) there and can't say enough nice things about the guys who run it and how much fun it is.

Hmm, oh yeah. CQT in Shelby Twp should be opening back up again very soon was running a Tuesday night tactical shooting league. Might be worth looking into.

Firearm Exchange in Livonia hosts a fun shoot which I hear is IDPA/USPSA like on Wednesday nights.

I think Blue Water Sportsman's Association in Port Huron has some kind of combat pistol stuff going on during the winter but I'm not too familiar with it. Maybe someone else can fill us in?

During the summer when the outdoor ranges open back up there are a lot more places to shoot.

Rifle shooting I'm not super familiar with but there are some guys on here I know that can help. There is ACTS in Centerline which is a rifle and pistol match. Gotta get me out to this someday.

Biggest problem is picking just a few things to shoot. Never enough time to do everything I want.

BobM
01-10-2011, 01:10 PM
[/QUOTE]I think Blue Water Sportsman's Association in Port Huron has some kind of combat pistol stuff going on during the winter but I'm not too familiar with it. Maybe someone else can fill us in?[/QUOTE]

Bluewater has pistol practice in the basement throughout winter, there is a weds night shoot that is more relaxed and fun, and then "We" shoot Thurs night with defensive drills.

non members are welcomed.
www.bluewatersportsmansassociation.com

If you want to try it out check out the website or contact me off line

Bob M

HoldHard
01-10-2011, 02:45 PM
DSC also has an outdoor 200 yard rifle range. There are multiple different types of events from the fun Christmas Cookie shoots to the more serious NRA high power competition.

www.d-s-c.org (http://www.d-s-c.org) is their website. Click on "Committees" on the left side and then "Rifle" or any other committee name to find out more.

HH