PDA

View Full Version : Selling a rifle

lizardking8610
01-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Where do people usually meet for a private sale of a rifle. I don't want to meet at home, but I want to meet somewhere where the prospective buyer can view the weapon, preferably somewhere public.

Thank you for your consideration

mideerslayer
01-10-2011, 09:16 PM
I always meet in a public place like a well Lit parking lot

I have had my fair share of transactions at the gander mountain Parking lot on hall road with no issues

justin92
01-11-2011, 05:36 PM
coney island parking lot sounds good...lol

thanks for the nice carbine lizard king
:D

donald150
01-11-2011, 05:52 PM
I always meet in a public place like a well Lit parking lot

I have had my fair share of transactions at the gander mountain Parking lot on hall road with no issues

I swear that I read someplace that a firearms transaction OUTSIDE the building on the property of a FFL was illegal.

I'm sure someone will slap me around if I am wrong. :slap:

Awful Hugbot
10-29-2011, 10:47 PM
I swear that I read someplace that a firearms transaction OUTSIDE the building on the property of a FFL was illegal.

I'm sure someone will slap me around if I am wrong. :slap:

I don't know where you heard that. I've never heard it.

I do buying/selling out of my garage. Never had a security issue.

In MI there is no longarm registry so I cannot fathom why you would need to be on FFL property to do a transaction- the FFL doesn't participate at all in a private sale and even if this was a rule somewhere it would be completely unenforceable.

CA and maybe others do require the involvement of an FFL for private sales if I recall correctly, but if you're a Californian looking to buy a gun maybe you should rent a one-way U-Haul instead.

RevDerb
10-30-2011, 03:55 AM
I usually meet in either McDonald's or WalMart parking lots for the most part. I like to be in places where there are enough people coming and going for both parties' protection. When doing long guns, I usually back into the parking place so that inspection can be done with the cover of a raised trunk lid. Handguns can be inspected in the front seat of either vehicle, of course.

dhrith
10-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Depends. If it was a guys first post here and he just joined I'd do it in the damned police parking lot probably. If he's got hundreds of posts and been here for years I generally don't give two hoots where he wanted to do it.

I've been asked to drop it off at quite a few houses, mall parking lots, fast food parking lots, city hall, theatre parking lot. I personally though never sell nor receive at my house.

tcb
10-31-2011, 05:07 PM
My pistol trade was done in my living room, while her family waited in the driveway. We filled out our permits, verified CPL and were off on our way.

blackwater na
10-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Your local gunclub sounds like a safer bet than a well lite parking lot!

MattB1969
11-01-2011, 11:37 AM
I usualy meet at a supermarket parking lot or a bigger travel center.

MB

Leader
11-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Parking lot of a Police station would seem safe to me.

DavetheEditor
11-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Gas stations, strip mall lots, anywhere well lit!

SHANKS
11-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Meijer's worked for me. :-P

Leader
11-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Of course, on the other hand we don't have any reports of any problems with deals done in the home.
Just reports of what MIGHT happen or COULD happen... like blood running in the streets.
I've done deals in my home, the home of the seller, parking lots... never a problem anyplace.

1fmj
11-01-2011, 03:27 PM
If you don't know buying and selling of firearms for profit if against Federal law.And can get you 10- years in Federal prison and or a $10,000.00 fine.<1FMJ>

eflint49
11-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Well lit carpool area has always worked for me. Right near I-94 so it's nice and easy to find, and I also go concealing a pistol or two for my safety.

johntncm
11-07-2011, 10:39 AM
All the above places mentioned are good. Just remember your not doing anything illegal so the the most public place you can find. I usually take a friend or my dog and always am armed anyway.

Roundballer
11-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Using a Grocery store or any place like Walmart or Meijers parking lot is a BAD idea unless BOTH parties have their CPL's. It is a 90 day/ $100.00 misdemeanor to be in possession of a firearm at one of those places without a CPL.

MCL 750.234d (http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-234d)

johntncm
11-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the info. Did not know that. Have cpl but will keep that in mind.

jer7440
11-10-2011, 06:46 AM
Does what you are saying about the meijer or Walmart parking lot stand for a long gun transaction? I thought having your CPL had nothing to do with long guns.

Roundballer
11-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Does what you are saying about the meijer or Walmart parking lot stand for a long gun transaction? I thought having your CPL had nothing to do with long guns.
Having a CPL has several advantages, pertaining to firearms in general

The Law says Firearm, that means any firearm, including long guns.
The Law says Premises, without an exception for parking lots.
The Law says Licensed under the MLCC, that means any store that can sell, not if they have Beer, wine, etc., on the shelves. Many gas stations and party stores are included in this.
The Law says that the restrictions don't apply to a CPL holder.

Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
<snip>
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
<snip>
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
<snip>
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

Technically, if you were to buy a gun at Walmart, and didn't have a CPL, you would be in violation of this law as soon as it was established that you have taken possession after the sale.

jer7440
11-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Hey,

Thanks for that! I am very new to all of this, so that was very helpful. Don't want to break the law out of ignorance.:mrgreen:

Awful Hugbot
11-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Having a CPL has several advantages, pertaining to firearms in general

The Law says Firearm, that means any firearm, including long guns.
The Law says Premises, without an exception for parking lots.
The Law says Licensed under the MLCC, that means any store that can sell, not if they have Beer, wine, etc., on the shelves. Many gas stations and party stores are included in this.
The Law says that the restrictions don't apply to a CPL holder.

Technically, if you were to buy a gun at Walmart, and didn't have a CPL, you would be in violation of this law as soon as it was established that you have taken possession after the sale.

Well that's awesome because many Walmarts sell both guns and beer