PDA

View Full Version : how to saw off part of a revolver barrel......

ilikeguns
01-11-2011, 01:45 AM
so I have an 8inch barrel on my 44 mag 6 shooter... and MAY want to shorten the barrel. its stainless steel, taurus model 44ss8

how can I (or someone else(gun smith)) shorten the barrel?

what price should i expect to pay?

would anyone here maybe want to do it? what would you charge me?

i would consider getting a trijicon front sight, instead of having to salvage the old one....

THANKS!

RayMich
01-11-2011, 02:08 AM
Just go to your local hardware store and get one of them tube cutters and have at it. :-) J/K

No, not really. I would ask a REPUTABLE gunsmith.

Grant Cunningham is one the most reputable revolver gunsmith in the country. http://grantcunningham.com/

Here is his contact information.
http://grantcunningham.com/contact.html

pkuptruck
01-11-2011, 04:26 AM
magna-port does this with their eyes closed! LOL..

and they are local

who dat
01-11-2011, 10:36 AM

and they are local...

badman
01-11-2011, 10:42 AM
i would only consider having a pro do it. it will need to be re crowned and you will want it to look nice. next time get a dan wesson lol

XDM 40 cal
01-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Try this sight as guide ...

http://www.alscustom.com/revolvers.html

Good luck..:D

JohnJak
01-11-2011, 12:10 PM

and they are local
+1000

dw1911
01-11-2011, 03:34 PM

and they are local

There is a company over in Nánchāng that will do it better and cheaper than Magna-Port. The name of the place is slipping my mind but they are very nice people... When I remember their name I will post it along with their phone number....The guys name is Zhi Wong.

ilikeguns
01-11-2011, 04:29 PM
SWEET.

once again logging in to MGO to not be upset :)

magna-port: cut and crown barrel, $65

Thanks everyone

DEVIOUS99
02-14-2011, 11:08 PM
just go buy a snub don't make one....

02-23-2011, 04:10 PM
No, not really. I would ask a REPUTABLE gunsmith.

Why do pepole always suggest a "reputable" gunsmith?

Who would take anything to a 'disreputable" gunsmith?

sjcootie
02-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Mag-Na-Port!!!

The best there is

Bearcat989
06-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Why do pepole always suggest a "reputable" gunsmith?

Who would take anything to a 'disreputable" gunsmith?

There are many folks, even at local gunshops, who hold themselves out to be "gunsmiths" that have no real training, limited experience, and limited tools. This type of "kitchen-table gunsmithing" is all too common. There are really only about 4 or 5 good shops in Michigan. But I'll bet in every city and town you can find a local "gunsmith" who will be glad to practice on your firearm at a discount price..... ;-)

Dolomite
06-01-2015, 12:22 PM
A couple of things (and I could be way off here), but -

- $65 to cut & crown sure sounds like a deal, however, does that include the re-installation of your front sight? THAT is the time consuming part. I can't see how they'd make any money throwing in the hours it will take to re-install a front sight. (and then there's shipping...)

- Taurus guns are (in my humble opinion) cheap. How cheap? They eat canned beans before they take a bath so they don't have to pay extra for bubbles. There, I said it.

- You want a snub? 4-inch? A quick perusal of Armslist shows the average Tracker in .44 Mag is being sold for between $575 - $690. Barrel length, stainless or blued, etc. does not seem to be a factor in the pricing.

As mentioned by other posters, I would think that selling/buying is going to be the easiest way to get a 44 with a shorter barrel. Best of luck!!

MI-1911
06-01-2015, 12:28 PM
There is a company over in Nánchāng that will do it better and cheaper than Magna-Port.

I'm really curious how anyone can do it better than Magna-Port. Perhaps you can explain what you mean by better? Any qualified machinist that can operate a lathe is capable of doing it right. It's not rocket science!

StiffNeckRob
06-06-2015, 11:37 PM
Wow,way to bump a 4 year old thread. LOL