PDA

View Full Version : TDI

Batman
06-21-2005, 12:10 AM
Well folks I just returned from Tactical Defense Institute in Ohio. I took the level 4 and 5 classes (as that was the next step for me).

The first thing I have to say is that if anyone is truly interested in learning the finest in self defense shooting skills, tactics and situation analysis, TDI is the only place to go. Their training is practical and intense. Nothing we have had here in MI compares. In fact, several of the officers in the class said that TDI is much better than Gun Sight, Thunder Ranch and/or the Chapman Academy (they said they been to those places).

Our class consisted of 16 persons. Most were Ohio cops (from cities and one State trooper), two army Special Forces members, two police chiefs (one from IL and one from IN) and about 5 citizens. We had 11 instructors. Most were vet. Ohio SWAT cops (active duty!). Each day we did different live firehouse exercises, force on force training and tons of shooting (mostly move and shoot skills). We did a jungle lane shoot twice and I even consistently hit a 10” steel plate at 70 yards, one handed, with my compact Kimber CDP 1911. I shot over 3000 rounds in four days. We had two night classes where we worked in the live fire houses (with flash lights), force on force house (where they shoot back at you with code eagle ammo) and a stress move and shoot course. We learned all kinds of new skills like; how to keep someone from grabbing your gun, how to keep someone from drawing his gun and how to avoid being shot when some one is holding you at gun point and is 5 to 10 feet away (we did this skill with the code eagle and air soft guns where you move and they try to shoot you before you can draw and shoot them back).

Their range is run totally HOT! All guns are loaded with round in chamber at all times (except when doing certain partner skills, then we roped our guns). It was really nice to feel the trust there.

I was able to shoot with a couple of the instructor’s custom Glocks (model 19 and a 21). I have a 22 but the staff (cops) really raved about the Glock model 17 as being the best overall carry gun because it’s very simple and safe to use and it carries lots of ammo (they say you just can't break em). I shot the 19 and really liked it (but I still like my hi power better). They are not at all found of the .40 S & W round. They really like 9mm first and 45 ACP second and after shooting all three guns I can see why.

Lunch was a trip. We went into town to eat and the instructors told us not remove our rigs or guns, just go! So we did. No one gave a ****. It was really freaky standing in line at Mickey D’s fully loaded like you were just getting ready to shoot a stage at a three gun match. And the kicker… one of the town’s deputy sheriff officer walk in and he didn’t say anything, ordered his food and left (yes he saw us and smiled)!!

More thoughts later…including my dinner conversation with three Ohio cops on the OH CCW law (very intersting).

karcent
06-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Interesting.
I have long been a fan of the 9mm and I don't care for the .40sw at all.
I know Deputy is also a 9mm fan.
I still get weird looks and chuckles from people who can't understand why.
The ammo makers are turning out some great choices in 9mm and it's very cheap to practice with. Accurate follow up shots are much quicker with the reduced recoil of a 9.

btw, I'm jealous. Sounds like you had a great training session.

G22
06-22-2005, 11:31 AM
I still get weird looks and chuckles from people who can't understand why.

:shocked: :lol:

Just kidding, I couldnt resist!!!