PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing my first handgun

DocTBI
01-14-2011, 11:17 AM
I would like to buy my first handgun, though I am still exploring the different options out there and also the process associated with purchasing a gun in Michigan.

My primary use for the gun in two-fold: home defense and for the range. I understand these two goals are somewhat divergent for gun selection, though eventually I will pick up a Mossberg for home defense and relegate my handgun to only the range.

I have previously shot a Glock 9mm and Sig Saurer 9mm, though it's been a few years. I'd like to check out a local range (Ann Arbor/Ypsi area) and try out a different makes/models to see what will work best. I know a .22 would be the cheaper option for range use, but I'm leaning towards a 9mm. I really like Sig as a brand, though I am admittedly limited in my knowledge outside of a few brands.

Any suggestions for makes/models, ranges, and/or local dealers would be welcomed.

tdbrown1969
01-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Sigs are great guns as are Glocks.You could also try a Smith & Wesson M&P9 or a Springfield Armory XD9.It really depends on what you want to spend.td

PS I have no knowledge of the AA/Ypsi area but I am sure someone will be along who does.

Tallbear
01-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Slide into Top Gun in Taylor or Firing Line in Westland. Both offer a good selection of rental guns you can try out on the range before buying.

I would like to buy my first handgun, though I am still exploring the different options out there and also the process associated with purchasing a gun in Michigan.

My primary use for the gun in two-fold: home defense and for the range. I understand these two goals are somewhat divergent for gun selection, though eventually I will pick up a Mossberg for home defense and relegate my handgun to only the range.

I have previously shot a Glock 9mm and Sig Saurer 9mm, though it's been a few years. I'd like to check out a local range (Ann Arbor/Ypsi area) and try out a different makes/models to see what will work best. I know a .22 would be the cheaper option for range use, but I'm leaning towards a 9mm. I really like Sig as a brand, though I am admittedly limited in my knowledge outside of a few brands.

Any suggestions for makes/models, ranges, and/or local dealers would be welcomed.

DocTBI
01-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Thank you for the info!

SirenHype
01-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Double action sports in Madison hts has good facilities and a knowledgable staff. Some of them may come off a little gruff but if you can ignore that and counter with something clever they warm up. My advice is to try a double action only/striker fired pistol and compare with a DA/single action pistol. Say a sig 229 and Smith and Wesson M&P, get a feel for each and decide which is more comfortable to shoot. Good luck and be safe.
:pistols:

Tallbear
01-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Perhaps you missed this part.......

I'd like to check out a local range (Ann Arbor/Ypsi area) .........

Double action sports in Madison hts has good facilities and a knowledgable staff. Some of them may come off a little gruff but if you can ignore that and counter with something clever they warm up. My advice is to try a double action only/striker fired pistol and compare with a DA/single action pistol. Say a sig 229 and Smith and Wesson M&P, get a feel for each and decide which is more comfortable to shoot. Good luck and be safe.

eflint49
01-14-2011, 10:05 PM
pick one that has a safety so if you decide to carry later on you have the option to keep a round in the chamber with the safety on.

i love my Taurus PT111 Pro. its inexpensive and very comfortable to carry.

donald150
01-14-2011, 11:22 PM
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii184/donald150/facepalm.jpg

fotophocus
01-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Doc, I've got a couple S&W M&Ps you can try if you can come out to Westland... Shoot me a PM if you're interested

hopeitsfast
01-15-2011, 12:32 AM
:lolup:
Man, i wish i would of saw this before the edit. I'll bet it would of been exactly what i'm currently thinking. :lol:

OP, i'm about a 1/2 an hour from you and i will meet you if you would like to shoot a Glock 19 or a M&P9 or a M&P9 compact. If you drive to my area, i'll even supply the ammo and pay for the range time. Send me a PM if interested.

JimSig
01-15-2011, 01:38 AM
Another rental range I would add is Firearm exchange in Livonia off I96 between Merriman and Middle belt.. They have a variety of handguns for rental and it is a 25 min drive from Ann Arbor (M-14 to I 96). They don't sell though..

FTLOSM
01-15-2011, 02:41 AM
Slide into Top Gun in Taylor or Firing Line in Westland. Both offer a good selection of rental guns you can try out on the range before buying.

I second that one, Top Gun's staff have been awesome each time I have gone in, and are very helpful without being pushy for a sale.

Plus lots to rent there for sure...

I ended up with a Ruger SR9 and although it is still new at 300 rounds not a single misfire or problem yet and very affordable...

HK83
01-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Lets not forget H&K's. I would recommend anything in the USP line or the newer style grip P2000 or P30. If your not going to carry it I would suggest the P30 9mm. I would also recommend the LEM trigger over there sa/da.

I have an H&K P2000, P7 or a g23 that I would let you or anyone try if you want. I am near Action Impact or Firearm Exchange.. Don't care for Firing Line at all!

donald150
01-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Man, i wish i would of saw this before the edit. I'll bet it would of been exactly what i'm currently thinking. :lol:

OP, i'm about a 1/2 an hour from you and i will meet you if you would like to shoot a Glock 19 or a M&P9 or a M&P9 compact. If you drive to my area, i'll even supply the ammo and pay for the range time. Send me a PM if interested.

I don't know but I fixed it. Some pictures you can just copy and paste in here some you have to host. It was too late last night so I figured I would just throw in the :lolup: until I could fix it today.
:coffee:

DocTBI
01-16-2011, 01:02 AM
I really appreciate the offers from everyone. It is nice to see such a willingness to help a newbie. I'll probably send some PMs this week, depending on my schedule.

Dood
01-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Nothing wrong with owning a .22 either.
Not for self defense but to use for practice at accuracy and self defense training.
It is less expensive to shoot.
I use my .22 and my friend's .22 a lot at the range.
It is 10 cents on the dollar for ammo when compared to .38 Specials or .357 Magnums which is what I use for concealed carry.

Ricebrnr
01-16-2011, 01:49 PM
First let me say that for a nice range with lots of choices to rent nearby I also recomend Top Gun.

Second i dont think anyone else suggested but how about a pistol that has the capability of converting between your 2 calibers?

Lots of the out there, some pricey some not as.

Lots of choices in the market. I have a Cz 75B in 9mm with the 22lr Kadet kit.

Glocks, 1911s, Sigs, Berettas et all have conversion kits as well.

Best advice? Go feel up a bunch of pistols and shoot the ones that feel best.

These days if you by a quality pistol you have excellent chances for satisfaction.

lotusexige
01-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Glock 17 or 19

XDM 40 cal
01-16-2011, 08:41 PM
I really appreciate the offers from everyone. It is nice to see such a willingness to help a newbie. I'll probably send some PMs this week, depending on my schedule.

If your stopping in to Top Gun to shoot let me know, I'll bring what i have ..

:pepsi:

nitrous_bob
01-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Double action in Madison hts has a bunch of douche bags who dont know squat except to tell you they are the coolest thing to breathe on earth....Good luck and be safe.

YES !! i agree

a lot what u ask is related to your wallet in a 1:1 ratio

sigs are awesome, but pricey. glocks are the best gun for the dollar IMO

now other things to consider are:::

do you plan on carrying it concealed ? concealed guns imo are not too fun to shoot at the range, i like .45 acp and my g36 although i make love to it on occasion... is too small to be a fun plinker. full size heavy guns are plinkers

will your wife or daughter be shooting it? my wife and daughter are little... so im limited to 9mm or less for them which is NOT recommended for home defense (they say .38 special at minimum... but some say anything is better than nothing)

you will have a better spread soon...... so pick the handgun you want forever now.... get a shotty later thats my opinion.

with that being said ??? for a 9mm go g19
.45 acp ? go g21

jdub4key
01-22-2011, 03:35 PM
I live in Ypsi and there are no ranges in Washtenaw Co that I am aware of, except for Washtenaw Sportsman Club which I think you have to be a member. Closest range is Top Gun IMO.

DocTBI
01-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks!

I've been swamped as of late, but one of these days/weeks I'll find my way to a range. I am reading a bit of the forum and learning a lot.

Jerry48192
02-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Ever since I saw Double Action on Hardcore Pawn I would never even consider going into that place. For those who don't watch Hardcore Pawn the owner of a pawn shop, Les Gold, took his whole crew into Double Action to buy all of them handguns after they had a bad experience with a violent customer. Les simply asked the guy at the counter if they could give him a deal on holsters and they guy went bezerk-o and kicked them all out of the range. I don't know if he didn't like being put on the spot with the cameras there, but I'm sure they were dropping a wad of cash. If I was dropping a wad of cash I'd be asking for a deal on a holster, too.

donald150
02-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Ever since I saw Double Action on Hardcore Pawn I would never even consider going into that place. For those who don't watch Hardcore Pawn the owner of a pawn shop, Les Gold, took his whole crew into Double Action to buy all of them handguns after they had a bad experience with a violent customer. Les simply asked the guy at the counter if they could give him a deal on holsters and they guy went bezerk-o and kicked them all out of the range. I don't know if he didn't like being put on the spot with the cameras there, but I'm sure they were dropping a wad of cash. If I was dropping a wad of cash I'd be asking for a deal on a holster, too.

Before you badmouth a company you should make sure you have the right company, it was target sports not double action.

:slap:

[ion] C2
02-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Les simply asked the guy at the counter if they could give him a deal on holsters and they guy went bezerk-o and kicked them all out of the range.
Because what they show on their own TV show is the whole story. There was a lot of editing in that video clip (just watched it again) to cut out anything that could possibly make it look like the Pawn guys were being douches.

DEVIOUS99
02-14-2011, 10:59 PM
You can never go wrong w/ a springfield XD9. I have three of them, very awesome

DocTBI
03-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Ok...only a year late on my plan to buy a gun. Life/Work happens I guess. :lol: I finally have some time to get to a range and try some options out, so I'm going to jot down some of the rec. brands/models and wander down to Top Gun later this week. I'd strongly prefer to buy local and support local business, as long as the prices are reasonable. Are their prices fair?

Thank you all again for the plethora of advice on ranges and brand/model options.

XDM 40 cal
03-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Ok...only a year late on my plan to buy a gun. Life/Work happens I guess. :lol: I finally have some time to get to a range and try some options out, so I'm going to jot down some of the rec. brands/models and wander down to Top Gun later this week. I'd strongly prefer to buy local and support local business, as long as the prices are reasonable. Are their prices fair?

Thank you all again for the plethora of advice on ranges and brand/model options.

There, Ok in pricing as you get 3 months of range time when you by..

If you can make it next Sunday 25th, is a Fun shoot.. you can shoot ALOT of guns for free!..

DocTBI
03-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Awesome. I'm not working next sunday...and I don't think I have any other things I *have* to do.

What are the details? I assume there is a link somewhere on MGO?

XDM 40 cal
03-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Awesome. I'm not working next sunday...and I don't think I have any other things I *have* to do.

What are the details? I assume there is a link somewhere on MGO?

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1563791#post1563791

:usa:

If you can make it and like to meetup before heading out PM me.

DocTBI
03-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Cool, thanks for the details!

I'll definitely try and make it up there.

Groo
03-17-2012, 12:34 AM
I think 9mm is a good round for your intended purposes. It has enough oomph to work for home defense, and yet is still pretty cheap compared to other rounds out there.

However, since you intend to "upgrade" to a shotgun down the road regardless, just stick with a 22lr. If you would be willing to go the revolver route, you could get one that has a 22mag cylinder for defense and a 22lr cylinder for range time. People don't give the 22 enough credit for its potential to cause some harm.

Another option would be to get something super cheap for the bed side. There are tons of new and used guns available for under $250 and several under $150 capable of doing the job. to enhance your target 22.

I'm picking up a S&W 22a for about $300 for target practice and small game. add to it a Nagant M1895 for $100 or a CZ-82 for $220, there are even options for a new 357 revolver for under $300. Even a Maverick 88 shotgun isn't much over $200.

basically I am saying, you could get 2 separate guns that each do their separate jobs just fine for the price of 1 good 9mm

DocTBI
03-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Groo...I appreciate the info!