PDA

View Full Version : AAR carbine class pat rodgers

RSF
06-26-2005, 07:04 PM
Here is a little run more after i recover!

eotech was not bad they have had issues and i belive are corrected rev f models
trijicon refelx sucks
joe blow sights suck

Aimpoint ruled the roost and the only ones to survive! i saw 1 new f series eotech that made it through
lmt guns 3 gave up the ghost
bushy survived
carbon 15 to man ftf fte
those bargin mags from the gun show suck worse than the guys using them
xm193pd 223 ammo well i shot over 1800rnds in a 1000 rnd class cause i shot a lot and a lot faster than many there no ftf no fte

RSF
06-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Ok so lets cover magazines
most had some issues the green followers were not cure all
the best running mags has magpul followers, and they ran no matter what
I bought an extra dz of them,

stocks.
valtor, troy,magpul,ace. and standard a2 and car stocks present.
the valtor was preferred by many due to cost, i really liked the magpul it was more robust and had a better lock up i felt.

slings,
single point slings were the preferred for various reasons, over 3 point and 2 point i tried out all 3 returned to my single point bungee style

vft(vertical for grips)
yes every brand and then some were present, tango down was a big hit with many guys, good feeling grip might be an issue for those with small hands, cqb was better for those with smaller hands.

lights.
every brand was there la rue surefire, insights. the sure fires were great as always, la rue as a strong light and is great for a first run light.

mounts. you name it it was there. la rue, arms, troy, ggg, yankee hill, etc
arms sucked the most, the most popular and strongest design i saw was la rue, followed by ggg, troy arms sucked bad, lots of issues there.

more to follow

RSF
06-26-2005, 10:26 PM
This class was very high speed, very physical.
we were going pretty much 10 hour day. day two involved a lot of running and gunning, on day 3 sun we had the chance to run the marine corp

MEU-(SOC) drill, for time and score
out of a possible 100 i scored a 97 one other person shot a 98 out of the 26 shooters in class , next scores were in the 80's good shooting dennis

RSF
06-26-2005, 10:28 PM
all i can say that pat rodgers and tim lau are the real deal for sure. great training great insight, and some outstanding off the range talk and brain picking some pics to follow

Barbara
06-27-2005, 04:07 AM
Sounds like you had a fun. :)

WhoIsJohnGalt
06-27-2005, 06:06 AM
Expect the July 30 carbine class to be packed with top-notch instruction! :wink:

(Glad the XM193PD ammo worked out well, too.)

Post pics as soon as you can, Dep!

G22
06-27-2005, 06:31 AM
slings,
single point slings were the preferred for various reasons, over 3 point and 2 point i tried out all 3 returned to my single point bungee style

I'll need a sling set up for the July carbine class. Can you give this newbe more details please? Where do I get one? how to set it up?...

xm193pd 223 ammo well i shot over 1800rnds in a 1000 rnd class cause i shot a lot and a lot faster than many there no ftf no fte

Thats good to hear. It got less than favorable reviews on ar15.com.
I'll have to look into getting some for the class, it seems to be somewhat cheeper.

Any help with the sling would be appreciated!
Thanks

RSF
06-27-2005, 07:58 AM
i recommed a wilderness single point plate or the pr4 from i belivie it is from tango down. check with john or operationparts in linden michigan and talk to chuck, or check with kurt i know he also stocks a lot of goodies too. i recommed the wilderness model it inst a bungee type

RSF
06-27-2005, 07:59 AM
a lot a the ar15 com guys were there

RSF
06-27-2005, 08:16 AM
http://www.operationparts.com/

http://www.thewilderness.com/

RSF
06-27-2005, 09:31 AM
the idea is this, when the gun is hanging by the sling the stock shouuld be even with your sternum or so. i keep mine a tad bit higher up easier to pivit gun to body

G22
06-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks Dep

Besides having an AR varmenter, the tactical AR stuff is all new to me.
I appreciate the advice. 8)

RSF
06-27-2005, 10:11 AM
no sweat we will cover a lot of this stuff vertical for grip is great additon as well as an aimpoint or eotech revision f aa battery model

G22
06-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Im looking into the vertical grip from TD, but my RRA entry tactical has no rails on the handguard. I think I may need to get a quad rail. That way I can mount my TD vertical grip and my surefire light off the side.

I have a TacPoint red dot for it but I wanted to zero the iron sights first, then mount the TacPoint & zero that. If for any reason the batteries die or it breaks, Im still good to go.

& I need to do all this before the class!! :D

RSF
06-27-2005, 12:04 PM
get the rails for sure a nice feture to have

zero irons for 25 yds and using the prefered method
in your owners manual! confirm it at 100yds and 50 yds

zero aimpoint for 50yds or booth at 50yds it is your choice mine is zeroed at 50yds both sights

G22
06-27-2005, 01:46 PM
OK since i've hijacked your thread already :oops: I may as well ask.

The single point sling mounts, Wilderness has an "agency" mount ($31.50) and a "plate" mount ($37.50). The slot for the sling on the agency mount is on an angle and the plate mount is 90 degrees to the butstock.

Which one is better?

And the Tango down mount is $64.95. Is it really that much better for the price?

Thanks

RSF
06-27-2005, 03:09 PM
the angle mount is used more when wearing heavy vest and tac gear simple mount from wilderness is fine! the tango down is a great mount for sure but is it worth the extra i dont think so fo rthe average person not worth the money it also allows for different attachment points! get the single plate style

bluethunder
06-28-2005, 11:46 AM
eotech revision f aa battery model

Is that the only difference between a regular EoTech and the much favored "F" model?

RSF
06-28-2005, 11:55 AM
no it isnt the f model has new systems to improve tracking and short circuts. i wont own one i like aimpoints better! less clutter sharper dot jsut my preferance after playing with both for awhile now