PDA

View Full Version : My stock M&P is "enhanced" service pistol? - IDPA

UPpatriot
01-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Registered for IDPA yesterday and was told my M&P9 pro would be in enhanced service pistol. The reason given is because the trigger doesn't pull the striker like a Glock and therefore is like a single action. Don't get why that would make it enhanced????

RSF
01-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Because IDPA is full of stupid rules, but oh wait its real world....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGgVY6Ref4I

wishn-i-was-fishn
01-17-2011, 09:08 AM

It is just a game that can help build shooting skills.

Here is a different perspective from a highly recognized and respected trainer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv_bmalcX6w&feature=related

RSF
01-17-2011, 09:22 AM
I don't disagree is promotes good reinforcement of good skills and reinforcement of bad ones as well,

Ill delete the rest of my post

wishn-i-was-fishn
01-17-2011, 09:31 AM
I don't disagree is promotes good reinforcement of good skills and reinforcement of bad ones as well,....

What you say is a very true statement.

I think it probably applies to most formally organized shooting sports many of us participate in. With the good also comes the bad. What we practice over and over is what we will instinctively and unconsciously revert to in the moment of dire need when we must take action.

wJAKE19
01-17-2011, 09:43 AM
the M&P is SSP in IDPA

quote from the IDPA website

"Its trigger system is very much like the Glock as the trigger retracts the striker about 125 thousandths of an inch before it releases the striker to fire the pistol…thus we should consider the M&P to be a Stock Service Pistol for IDPA. The M&P provides a 6.5 pound sear release followed by nearly 90 thousandths of over travel. "

MichiganShootist
01-17-2011, 10:15 AM
:stupid:

That's the right answer.

The Springer XD however WOULD be in Enhanced Service Pistol because the stricker on that gun is fully cocked making it a single action gun.

The only reason for these differences is to make it fair for the competitors. The D/a and DAO guns have a longer more difficult to master trigger pull.

RSF
01-17-2011, 11:30 AM
:stupid:

That's the right answer.

The Springer XD however WOULD be in Enhanced Service Pistol because the stricker on that gun is fully cocked making it a single action gun.

The only reason for these differences is to make it fair for the competitors. The D/a and DAO guns have a longer more difficult to master trigger pull.

Yes fair is important.......

UPpatriot
01-17-2011, 01:51 PM
the M&P is SSP in IDPA

quote from the IDPA website

"Its trigger system is very much like the Glock as the trigger retracts the striker about 125 thousandths of an inch before it releases the striker to fire the pistol…thus we should consider the M&P to be a Stock Service Pistol for IDPA. The M&P provides a 6.5 pound sear release followed by nearly 90 thousandths of over travel. "
Thanks, I'll be bringing this info to the next match.

Quantum007
01-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Yes, but a G34 or G35 is also used in the stock service pistol class too.... stupid rules but it can be fun to get out and shoot on the weekends.

scot623
01-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks, I'll be bringing this info to the next match.

Keep in mind your M&Ppro although factory, isn't truly stock. The upgraded trigger on the pro is probably what is getting you the enhanced label. It is surely not 6.5lbs, my guess is that trigger pull is closer to 4lbs.

UPpatriot
01-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Keep in mind your M&Ppro although factory, isn't truly stock. The upgraded trigger on the pro is probably what is getting you the enhanced label. It is surely not 6.5lbs, my guess is that trigger pull is closer to 4lbs.
It's right about 4 lbs, but he was generalizing M&P's and XD's as being ESP's. He didn't know mine was a pro at the point. It's fine if it's considered enhanced, I'll shoot that division, I just disagreed that an M&P should automatically be an ESP.

Btw Scott at the MTU range is a great guy as well as the others there, Brandon and I forget the other guys name. My buddy and I drove to Tech yesterday to shoot and register for IDPA. Very nice range and we had a great time. Sure beats shooting in the snow. I don't know why Marquette doesn't have an indoor range. With all the different LE agency's and the NMU police cadet program you'd think there would be one.

willowofwisp
01-17-2011, 05:20 PM

internal trigger jobs don't move you from SSP to ESP...

wishn-i-was-fishn
01-17-2011, 06:07 PM
per IDPA rules you can shoot in either SSP or ESP with your pistol.
You can use that one pistol to shoot the qualifier for each division.

Take a look at most match results and you will see that SSP is by far and away the division with the most competitors. If you shoot in ESP you may find you will have less competition and a better chance to finish in a higher position in your division and classification.

JimSig
01-17-2011, 06:35 PM

:lolup: funny video..

I shoot IDPA as a gaming event.. I always make mistakes like the shooting order (far to near) and hold mag in retention.. I just do it for fun to shoot on the run.. And I keep hearing from older members in my club that IPSC is more fun because there are no "non-sense IDPA Rules"..

scot623
01-17-2011, 09:23 PM
internal trigger jobs don't move you from SSP to ESP...

Good to know.

Quantum007
01-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Why should the pro sear or a "doug sear" even matter? Now since the G35 and G35 come stock with a 3.5 pound trigger and extended slide release lever, ALL SSP Glocks can have those as well....

UPpatriot
01-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Was able to shoot my M&P today in SSP. Was my first IDPA match and had a blast, shot pretty dang good too.