PDA

View Full Version : looking to get into trapping

sirdonas
01-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Does anyone on here trap?

I'm thinking about getting into it. The DnR has a section on their site for trapping education, but has no classes scheduled. :/

So, anybody with some trapping experience that could point me towards some resources (books, vids, etc) that would prove useful to a beginner and maybe warn me off of some of the 'bad' ones?

thanks gang!

aquatic-archer
01-17-2011, 02:31 PM
P.M. sent.

langenc
01-17-2011, 08:48 PM
The trappers ed is just getting organized.

Get ahold of MI trappers assn and see where they steer you.

Edward
01-18-2011, 04:37 PM
I am the district 7 (s/e mi.)director of the michigan trappers and predator callers assoc.The trappers ed. booklet can be seen on the mi.dnr web-site.As far as the class's go,watch the MTPCA web-site and any up-coming class will be listed.I HIGHLY recomend that anyone wanting to give trapping a try,read the booklet/take the class.Some very good info can be found on the michigan sportsman web-site (trapping forum)I (snareman),along with many of our members spend alot of time there.I'd be happy to help you out anyway I can,any idea of what animals you would like to target?

fbuckner
01-18-2011, 05:03 PM
I trap but most of the seasons are quickly coming to an end. If you want sometime next season my mentor and I can take you out and show you the ropes. Until then check out the MTA site or Trapperman.com

langenc
01-18-2011, 10:10 PM
There is an offer you cant beat, a fine gentleman.

sirdonas
01-19-2011, 08:41 PM
wow thanks guys!!!

I'll start doin my homework so that should I be fortunate enough to spend some time learning the ropes with y'all, you won't be wasting your time.

:)

Honestly I wasn't exacty sure what I'd try to target, though I've been advised that Muskrat, mink, and racoon might be the easiest for starters.

I do know where there are some beaver upstate, but I can work my way up to that. :)

Edward
01-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Mink,rats and coon are a good way to start out.Like said,most of the seasons will be ending at the end of the month so you have plenty of time to get ready/geared-up.If you go to the outdoorama show in novi,stop by the MTPCA booth,I'll be there every day of the show.Also watch the MTPCA web-site for the dates of our convention in aug.It's held in evart mi. (clare area)we have non-stop trapping demos all weekend by some of the best trappers in the country and many dealers/tailgaters selling anything you would need for trapping/predator calling.

fbuckner
01-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Coons are easy as pie (at least i think so) Rats I actually found harder than mink unless I got super lucky. Fox were easier than yotes even when people told me I would never catch a fox in a remade set I did it not only once but twice in the same set. I dont want to scare you off but be ready for some upsetting days when you find your sets either stolen or the fur you caught taken from the set with human foot prints all over.

Rocky
01-21-2011, 08:30 AM
but you will NEVER forget your first 'yote,.. of coon, rat,..or mink for that matter,....

fbuckner
01-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Thats very true!

hellbilly
01-21-2011, 09:22 PM
check out www.michigan-sportsman.com also.

G36 Shooter
01-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Watch "the Mountain Men"

langenc
01-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Plan on attending the Mi Trappers meeting in Evart along in August.

Seminars, demos on sets for various amimals, and supplies galore available.

sirdonas
01-31-2011, 05:44 PM
awesome! I've got the february show in my calendar too.

Jackam
01-31-2011, 05:59 PM
I trap 7 days a week, 52 weeks per year :)

Haven't sold a hide in 17 years though!

Rocky
01-31-2011, 06:04 PM
I trap 7 days a week, 52 weeks per year :)

Haven't sold a hide in 17 years though!
waiting for the punch line.....

Jackam
02-05-2011, 10:24 PM
waiting for the punch line.....

:) No punch line...

I own a Nuisance Wildlife Removal Business :)

sirdonas
02-28-2011, 09:15 PM
@ Edward,

I just missed ya at outdoorama. I stopped by on friday after you had gone for the day. Picked up the booklet they were handing out.

maybe next time.

Newtothegame
02-28-2011, 10:03 PM
When my dad and I used to trait was fun, we used to go out and take 1-2 hours to check our lines.... It was fun and lots of coons I mean alot we had so many trap set ups it was perfect, we have a cool pic of all the furs we got one season hangin on a shed... Somthin fun to do with your kids I'd say.

Edward
03-01-2011, 12:42 PM
@ Edward,

I just missed ya at outdoorama. I stopped by on friday after you had gone for the day. Picked up the booklet they were handing out.

maybe next time.Sorry I missed ya.Hope they told you about our convention being held in Evart (clare area)on Aug.19-21st.GREAT deals on new/used gear,demo's going on thru-out the weekend,camping on site,kids games,BIG cookout on sat. night and you can also take the trappers ed. class.I'll be holding a district 7 meeting at some point this summer,good way to learn about the assoc./meet some trappers from your area.Don't have to be a member to attend,i'll make sure to post the date/time/location here ahead of time.Again,sorry I missed ya.

mikeb32
03-01-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm waiting for Jackam to show up on Cable T.V. soon!!