PDA

View Full Version : Michigan purchase permit question

Evil3unnie
01-18-2011, 03:44 PM
I went to apply for a purchase permit today (first time) and ran into an issue. The lady at the desk informed me that I would have to wait 3-5 days in order to obtain my permit. I asked her why and she replied that they were short staffed and that is how long it would take to process my application. :bs:

I have a misdemeanor apparently still on my record from 10 years ago when I was 17 nothing major, no stalking, bn&e, assault,PPO or anything just stupid teenage stuff. I won't go into to much detail but I was under the impression it would be expunged from my recored, apparently not when it comes to handgun checks. Is this normal procedure and will this effect the outcome of my permit? Has anyone ever been denied and if so what steps would I take to remedy this problem?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Grand Rapids, MI if that helps...
Glenn

_DK_
01-18-2011, 05:25 PM
I think it took 5 minutes to get mine from Eastpointe PD, 10 minutes tops.
I only did it once though.

I have a 20 yr old misdemeanor on mine, it wasn't an issue

Mike in Michigan
01-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Nothing gets "expunged" unless you pay a lawyer specifically to get it expunged. Even then, there is no guarantee it gets expunged from every database in the system.

who dat
01-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Go over her head and get to a supervisor. She's lying.

kingfish55
01-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Had mine in 15 min in St Clair County, she's feeding you a line of BS

Islander48506
01-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Trying to have a Misdemeanor expunged will need a lawyer for that one! To get a Permit to Purchase supposedly takes 5 mins. at the county jail/records in down town Flint.

nitrous_bob
01-18-2011, 10:17 PM
well let me tell you these facts....

i live in st clair shores and they have a 1 day wait due to staffing. that 1 day can turn into many more since they only issue tue-thur from 9-4, but you can also call it in if your already in the system.(still need to pick it up in person 1 day later)

i am 39 yrs old and have some run-ins so to speak. i can assure you that i have NEVER been convicted of ANYTHING that keeps me from buying ANYTHING.

to this date... every single time i go to buy... i get "delayed"

technically on a NICS check... after 5 days (3 business days maybe ?) they can sell to you....... they have X amount of days to deny you.

but heres the deal... they never deny you... and never respond. so businesses like dunhams... who have a store policy(not law... store policy) to NOT sell until a "all clear" will never get my business.

unfortunately i am in macomb county so my cpl will take 5 months , when my buddies who took the class with me already have theirs... but bottom line is if u have a cpl... you have no need for a NICS check. instant clear

so *** them... dont pay a cent to clean your record... get a cpl...just to pi$$ em off

phatjbikerdude
01-20-2011, 12:25 AM
I went to apply for a purchase permit today (first time) and ran into an issue. The lady at the desk informed me that I would have to wait 3-5 days in order to obtain my permit. I asked her why and she replied that they were short staffed and that is how long it would take to process my application. :bs:

I have a misdemeanor apparently still on my record from 10 years ago when I was 17 nothing major, no stalking, bn&e, assault,PPO or anything just stupid teenage stuff. I won't go into to much detail but I was under the impression it would be expunged from my recored, apparently not when it comes to handgun checks. Is this normal procedure and will this effect the outcome of my permit? Has anyone ever been denied and if so what steps would I take to remedy this problem?

Glenn

glen, you and i should talk via pm... the wonderfull city of grand rapids is playing games big time... i went in on july 14th to get my permit, and was told the same bull crap about 3-4 days for staffing reasons... 6 weeks later i still did not have my permit, so i took things into my own hands... i wont tell any more, but i bought a pistol the very next day.... grand rapids is a joke..

by the way..... :welcome: ... to mgo.

Evil3unnie
01-21-2011, 12:43 AM
glen, you and i should talk via pm... the wonderfull city of grand rapids is playing games big time... i went in on july 14th to get my permit, and was told the same bull crap about 3-4 days for staffing reasons... 6 weeks later i still did not have my permit, so i took things into my own hands... i wont tell any more, but i bought a pistol the very next day.... grand rapids is a joke..

by the way..... :welcome: ... to mgo.
PM sent:scholar:

CremDellaCrem
01-21-2011, 03:08 AM
my took 10 days in Troy.

phatjbikerdude
01-21-2011, 09:50 AM
the problem guys is he's talking about the city of GRAND RAPIDS the lady is lying, but how she's lying is that it will take much... MUCH longer... i went through this a few months ago... it was 6 weeks before i stoped calling asking for my permit... (never did get one) i now have my cpl, so *** em all... but the city of GR feels they can do what they want...

kingd33
01-23-2011, 06:24 AM
Brother in law Walked into the Kent county Sheriff just outside of GR (84th and Kalamazoo) took 5 minutes,Now you do want to get there early because there could be a line and they are only there 2 days a week now.

phatjbikerdude
01-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Brother in law Walked into the Kent county Sheriff just outside of GR (84th and Kalamazoo) took 5 minutes,Now you do want to get there early because there could be a line and they are only there 2 days a week now.

the op lives in grand rapids, therefore must get his permit through grand rapids... not kent county... now if his address was outside of the city limits in one of the areas serviced by kent county police, then yes he could do that.

CMP 98
01-23-2011, 10:55 AM
It takes me a whole 5-10mins to get one in mason, im 20 and I have needed to get 3 over the last 2 years...no problems. I think im gonna need another one in a few days here :)

ninjatoth
01-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Same thing happened to me,when I was 29 I went to get a pistol permit and was denied because I was showing a domestic violence charge that I had when I was 17 and it was supposed to be expunged.I guess the charge looked funny or had little notes on it that the police department worker thought looked strange so she actually took the time to call the courthouse,ask what was up,they said it was supposed to be expunged 11 years previous and the courthouse fixed it on the spot,the police dept worker reran the background check 5 min later and it gave me the all clear.

kingd33
01-24-2011, 03:53 PM
the op lives in grand rapids, therefore must get his permit through grand rapids... not kent county... now if his address was outside of the city limits in one of the areas serviced by kent county police, then yes he could do that.

I did not know that,I thought it was a county/state thing.

ninjatoth
01-24-2011, 04:49 PM
I did not know that,I thought it was a county/state thing.
I think it can vary from county to county,like for me,I live at one end of Midland county,and we have a county PD,yet I have to drive 15 miles into the Midland city PD to get a purchase permit,it's the only way here.

who dat
01-24-2011, 04:56 PM
I think it can vary from county to county,like for me,I live at one end of Midland county,and we have a county PD,yet I have to drive 15 miles into the Midland city PD to get a purchase permit,it's the only way here.It only varies by jurisdiction. If you are within the city limits of a city that has a PD, you get it at the PD. If your town, township, whatever has no PD, you get it at the county sheriff.

There is no such thing a a county PD, so don't confuse that with the sheriff.

jeffegg2
01-31-2011, 08:09 AM
In Garden City took 5 min.

langenc
02-08-2011, 10:56 PM
And those people think they are law ENFORCEMENT!!!!

Absolutely amazing.

Steve78
04-09-2011, 06:55 PM
well let me tell you these facts....

i live in st clair shores and they have a 1 day wait due to staffing. that 1 day can turn into many more since they only issue tue-thur from 9-4, but you can also call it in if your already in the system.(still need to pick it up in person 1 day later)

i am 39 yrs old and have some run-ins so to speak. i can assure you that i have NEVER been convicted of ANYTHING that keeps me from buying ANYTHING.

to this date... every single time i go to buy... i get "delayed"

Same here. I have clear background, but I get "delayed". I bought 2 rifles and I got 2 "delayed". I got "approved" 24 hours later, both time.

I don't mind, it's just annoying if you have to take 2 trips to your FFL for the same firearm. It's wasting your time.

:|

Tyler
04-10-2011, 01:53 PM
This is why I am glad that I live outside of the city limits! Kent county takes 5-10 minutes tops. No wait at all, it is just how long it takes the lady to fill out the information and print it. And of course the rigorous written exam!!! Just kidding.

reverendg
04-11-2011, 12:52 AM
I had trouble in Clinton Twp...once. Lucky I found out too....old charge that was wrong and was dropped immediately never got fully recorded as such...the records check showed me having a case pending. She called me the next day, it was cleared, and have had no problems since then....10 minutes max to get the papers done.

Htcguru6912
04-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Has anyone had any experience in Kalamazoo? I'll be going to get my PP in about a week and am curious.

Steve78
04-22-2011, 03:36 AM
I thought it's going to be complicated, but I was wrong.

I showed up at the police station. They gave me 1 form. I filled it out. They also gave me a test, with 15 questions about gun safety. True or False. T or F. All my answers were right.

They ran the background check. 2 long gun purchases, 2 background checks, 2 delays at the FFL's house. But this time -at the police station- my purchase got approved in 5 minutes.

I handsigned the 4 papers they gave me (+they wanted $10) and it was done.

There is something I don't know.

Is the "Date of Transaction" is the date of the purchase, or it's the date of the pistol pickup at the FFL dealer?

who dat
04-22-2011, 07:54 AM
I thought it's going to be complicated, but I was wrong.

I showed up at the police station. They gave me 1 form. I filled it out. They also gave me a test, with 15 questions about gun safety. True or False. T or F. All my answers were right.

They ran the background check. 2 long gun purchases, 2 background checks, 2 delays at the FFL's house. But this time -at the police station- my purchase got approved in 5 minutes.

I handsigned the 4 papers they gave me (+they wanted $10) and it was done.

There is something I don't know.

Is the "Date of Transaction" is the date of the purchase, or it's the date of the pistol pickup at the FFL dealer?They are not allowed to charge you for any permit or service unless it's for a notary fee and even then you do not have to use them. You can take your permit and get it notarized anywhere you like. Many banks and CU will notarize for free.

ref.: MCL 123.1102

JohnS624
04-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Is the "Date of Transaction" is the date of the purchase, or it's the date of the pistol pickup at the FFL dealer?
It should be the same date. It is the day that the handgun is transferred from the FFL to you.

Eurotour
04-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Just got one last week from the GRPD. Walked in filled out my forms and waited about 15 mins. She comes out and asks "Have you ever been arrested?" "um, no!" "not in Spring Lake in 1999?" "I might have gotten a speeding ticket there...that was 12 years ago! Does this affect anything?" "no, but we like to update our records" WTF?! Do that on your own time, not mine!

PS The guy in front of me wasn't so lucky. He was given the "call back in 3-5 days" routine. Apparently he had some "priors"...

MrSmithMSU
04-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Just popping in on this thread to correct an earlier inaccuracy. A CPL does NOT exempt you from a NICS check when you are purchasing a firearm. It only exempts you from having to get a purchase permit when you a buying a handgun.

The NICS check is a Federal requirement. The purchase permit is a State requirement.

who dat
04-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Just popping in on this thread to correct an earlier inaccuracy. A CPL does NOT exempt you from a NICS check when you are purchasing a firearm. It only exempts you from having to get a purchase permit when you a buying a handgun.

The NICS check is a Federal requirement. The purchase permit is a State requirement.I think you are mistaken. :bounce:

ranttrmike
04-23-2011, 09:24 AM
I think you are mistaken. :bounce:

Nope, they do an NICS check to make sure you don't have any pending felonies or arrests since you got the CPL. You may have a CPL thats been revoked that you didn't surrender, or you just got arrested yesterday...how would they know without the NICS?

who dat
04-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Nope, they do an NICS check to make sure you don't have any pending felonies or arrests since you got the CPL. You may have a CPL thats been revoked that you didn't surrender, or you just got arrested yesterday...how would they know without the NICS?There is a letter floating around here from the ATF explaining that in Michigan the CPL is the license to purchase without the need for a NICS check.

There has been talk of putting the NICS check back into play even if you have a CPL, but it hasn't happened yet.

who dat
04-23-2011, 10:39 AM
...and here it is: http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2006/03/032406-openletter-ffl-michigan-concealed-permit.html

U.S. Department of Justice

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives

Assistant Director

Washington, DC 20226

March 24, 2006

Open Letter to All Michigan Federal Firearms Licensees

The purpose of this letter is to advise you of an important change to
the procedure you may follow beginning March 24, 2006. On this day,
Michigan?s Concealed Pistol Licenses (CPLs) issued on or after November
22, 2005 will qualify as an alternative to a National Instant Criminal
Background Check System (NICS) check. Accordingly, the 1998 Open Letter
to Michigan Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) is superseded in regards
to the information on ?Alternatives to a NICS check.?

Background

The permanent provisions of the Brady Law took effect on November 30,
1998. The Brady Law generally requires licensed dealers to initiate a
NICS background check through the FBI (or the State in a Point of
Contact State) before transferring a firearm to an unlicensed
individual. However, the Brady Law contains a few exceptions to the NICS
check requirement, including an exception for holders of certain State
permits to possess, carry, or acquire firearms.

In 1998, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF)
sent an Open Letter to all Michigan FFLs stating Michigan?s Permit to
Purchase a Handgun would qualify as an alternative to the background
check required under the Brady Law, but that the CPL would not. ATF?s
recognition of the Permit to Purchase a Handgun as a Brady alternative
was based on the fact that Michigan conducted background checks through
NICS prior to the issuance or renewal of these permits, and denied a
permit to anyone prohibited under Federal, State, or local law. This
process was not followed before the issuance of a CPL, and therefore the
CPL did not qualify for the exception.

Michigan recently passed a law, effective November 22, 2005, changing
the way the CPL is issued. The Michigan Attorney General asked ATF to
review whether the CPL now meets the statutory and regulatory
requirements for the NICS exception. ATF?s review found that CPLs issued
on or after November 22, 2005, do meet the requirements. Accordingly,
all Michigan Permits to Purchase a Handgun and CPLs issued on or after
November 22, 2005, now both qualify as NICS check alternatives.

How This Affects FFLs

Beginning March 24, 2006, if an unlicensed person presents you with a
Michigan CPL issued on or after November 22, 2005, no NICS check is
necessary. However, the required information about the license must be
recorded in question 23 of the ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction
Record. As stated above, the Michigan Permit to Purchase a Handgun
continues to be a NICS alternative. Please note, Michigan CPLs issued
prior to November 22, 2005 and Michigan?s Temporary Concealed Pistol
License do not qualify as NICS alternative. Therefore if someone
presents you with one of these licenses, you must conduct a NICS check.

If you have any questions, please call your local field office or ATF?s
Brady Operations Branch at (304) 616-4200. As always, we thank you for
your cooperation.

Signature of Lewis P. Raden

Lewis P. Raden
Assistant Director
Enforcement Programs and Services

JohnS624
04-23-2011, 04:59 PM
I think you are mistaken. :bounce:
He is. A CPL issued after November 2005 exempts you from having to have a NICS check. That being said, many shops still do a check on everyone with a CPL.

ranttrmike
04-24-2011, 06:25 AM
He is. A CPL issued after November 2005 exempts you from having to have a NICS check. That being said, many shops still do a check on everyone with a CPL.
:banghead: Sadly I have been misinformed then.

MrSmithMSU
04-24-2011, 12:36 PM
I stand corrected.

Steve78
04-27-2011, 05:36 PM
This is just perfect.

So I got my Purchase Licence on the 13th. I ordered the firearm on the 18th. But they didn't ship it for serveral days (It took them for 8 days.) This means my Purchase License is expired and I must get a new one.

I'm really angry right now. What a stupid law! Is that my fault if they don't ship it immediately?

If I go back to the Police Station, I guess I must refill everything, even the test. And I bet they want another $10 for their signature. That is just great... (

I thought everything is fine, and I can just pick up my new pistol. Wrong.

Dabears!
05-06-2011, 12:54 PM
This is just perfect.

So I got my Purchase Licence on the 13th. I ordered the firearm on the 18th. But they didn't ship it for serveral days (It took them for 8 days.) This means my Purchase License is expired and I must get a new one.

I'm really angry right now. What a stupid law! Is that my fault if they don't ship it immediately?

If I go back to the Police Station, I guess I must refill everything, even the test. And I bet they want another $10 for their signature. That is just great... (

I thought everything is fine, and I can just pick up my new pistol. Wrong.
no test again
just give them your ID
call your bank and see if they do free notary
a lot of them do

bushido
05-07-2011, 01:43 PM
^agreed. My Credit Union does it for free.

BearMBD
07-09-2011, 12:34 AM
maybe i need tostart my own post but. i may be moving to Ann Arbor and was wondering about the process. do i need to bring my pistols to PD Office? schedule an appointment at PD? any idea how this may go. i have a cwp for Idaho so obviously legal. any idea on CWP permit for Michigan steps fees etc. thanks

_DK_
07-09-2011, 06:15 AM
maybe i need tostart my own post but. i may be moving to Ann Arbor and was wondering about the process. do i need to bring my pistols to PD Office? schedule an appointment at PD? any idea how this may go. i have a cwp for Idaho so obviously legal. any idea on CWP permit for Michigan steps fees etc. thanks

I guess we do not have a "What do I need to do when I move to Michigan and own handguns" in the resource link...

But here (http://www.migunowners.org/index.php?page=resources) is a whole lot of info for you to ponder on.

BearMBD
07-09-2011, 09:51 AM
thanks lol. i have not had a chance to really search the forums and look for stickies. Matt

shifty_85
07-13-2011, 01:38 PM
i just got a purchase permit today took 10 mins and 1 lady took my ID ran the check while i took the test printed out the 4 papers and i was on my way understaffed or not it should only take one person to do it for you.

BearMBD
07-13-2011, 06:54 PM
sounds good. any idea on price per weapon

langenc
07-26-2011, 11:05 PM
NO CHARGE-- Do NOT let em tell you you need to pay 5-10 bucks each for 'the notary fee". Tell em youll get it notarized elsewhere. They cannot require you to pay... they may cvollect a lot that way but it is ALL illegal. except for the police..

ECSUSER
07-26-2011, 11:25 PM
I guess we're lucky, Rochester residents get free notary services at City Hall. Permitting is a breeze - cops are quick and friendly.

dpgperftest
07-26-2011, 11:59 PM

Glenn

3to7 days in livonia here too

BearMBD
07-27-2011, 11:46 AM
are there any free notaries in Ann Arbor area i will be moving on 24th of August from Idaho. thanbks again guys

Tallbear
07-27-2011, 01:01 PM
are there any free notaries in Ann Arbor area i will be moving on 24th of August from Idaho. thanbks again guys

About all banks have a notary .

BearMBD
07-27-2011, 07:17 PM
lol thanks i never use em so i am a bit dumb on the subject. thanks Matt

langenc
07-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Those on the first page waiting for purchase permits need to discuss with your elected Rep and senator. Also get hold of the mayor or county commissioners and tell them that is NOT ACCEPTABLE..

The police are the biggest lawbreakers.

Kaeto
08-01-2011, 03:12 AM
Lincoln Park took one day short of two weeks to give me a purchase permit.