PDA

View Full Version : How many have carried without a holster

fbuckner
01-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Pistol or Revolver

7.62 Nato
01-21-2011, 04:48 PM
I haven't in a long while but used to most of the time.

1911 IWB
TP22 IWB or back pocket
S&W36 IWB or jacket pocket

mechredd
01-21-2011, 05:09 PM
I did a couple of times a long while ago.

Dsully
01-21-2011, 05:15 PM
I have a few times out to the store or gas station. Don't make it a habbit but I'm guilty.

TomE
01-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Sometimes I carried my subcompact auto 9mm loose in pocket , but the chamber was empty

Leader
01-21-2011, 05:28 PM
I have & will in the future.
Never shot myself or anyone else yet either.

ChessieMike
01-21-2011, 05:36 PM
I have when I was making a short run to the store or something, carried pistols only.

HVYMTLMEC
01-21-2011, 05:53 PM
I usually carry my SCAR with just a sling. :D

Shyster
01-21-2011, 06:11 PM
On rare occasions I will pocket carry my S&W Model 36

7of9
01-21-2011, 06:13 PM
A P238 - only to the mailbox and back.

Eric00
01-21-2011, 06:34 PM
i did till i found a holster i liked It was a G27 held it IWB with belt on tight, didnt seem to move much

ChaneyD
01-21-2011, 07:43 PM
My derringer.

fbuckner
01-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Bottom line here folks is DONT! Its not if it will hapen but WHEN. A friend and co-worker of mine brother carried without a holster and yesterday his wife and daughter found his car running and him bled out on the porch trying to get to a phone. If you have spent the money on a good firearm spend the money to buy something that is and was intended to protect it and you.

He was a talented mechanical engineer that was hired by all of the big three to install equiptment he designed all over the world. He was a husband and father that lost his life to a thing some take for granted. I have with revolver but they make holster for that as well and i wont carry mine anymore without it. Beside the safety factor sweat and BO ruins a blued finish and the body oils on stainless cause rust spots (stainless needs air to remain stainless).

Just an FYI because I wouldnt want to hear about anyone else I know or knew dying or getting injured when its clearly preventable.

mikeb32
01-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Sad News....Sorry for yours and the Family's loss.......+1000 on the post very valuable info and should be heeded to the max!!

kdogg
01-22-2011, 12:14 AM
I used to carry my GLOCK 17 inside my waist at my 4"oclock while I was waiting for my Tucker Holster I had ordered for it to come in. I carried it on an empty chamber though. Didn't want to shoot someone else or even myself by mistake! :)

I generally do not like to carry on an empty chamber but a gun with an empty chamber is better then NO gun at all I guess.

Dsully
01-22-2011, 02:13 AM
Wow. I won't be doing that again. Sorry for your loss.

7.62 Nato
01-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Sorry to hear about that and my condolences to his family. But how do you know this had to do with carrying without a holster. There have been many documented instances of people that carry with a holster shooting themselves because of not following basic safety rules. What did he carry, and how did he manage to shoot himself. I'm not trying to make light of this in any way. The more details you can provide, the more we can potentially learn from this.

Pyzik
01-22-2011, 10:16 AM
I carry my snub in my pocket about 1/3 of the time with no holster.

Very rarely carry my 9mm without a holster. Generally only if I am open carrying and have to go into a place I don't want to OC and don't have my IWB with me.

durwood
01-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Bersa .380 in pocket, hammer down. Would never do this with striker, chambered round.

twodogsanme
01-22-2011, 11:05 AM
I carry a Ruger P345 with out a holster in a pocket of a leather vest that I wear BUT I dont carry with round in the chamber only the magazine . I know this is a disadvantage but I figure some protection is better then no protection and it only takes a second to rack in a round . I just dont trust the safety . I sure wouldnt want to be like that stupid kid in a school I see in the news the other day that shot two other kids because the gun he was carrying went off when he dropped his back pack . The learning curve must really be dropping off real Fast These days.

fbuckner
01-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Sorry to hear about that and my condolences to his family. But how do you know this had to do with carrying without a holster. There have been many documented instances of people that carry with a holster shooting themselves because of not following basic safety rules. What did he carry, and how did he manage to shoot himself. I'm not trying to make light of this in any way. The more details you can provide, the more we can potentially learn from this.

When the family is willing to talk about it and if they have al the forensic details I will share the rest. This as well as anything good or bad is for education and thats what MGO is all about.

jgorski
01-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Carried many times in my inner coat pocket. Taurus 738-chamber empty, Don't trust it yet. After reading this probably won't anymore. Back to the Sig until I get a holster for the Taurus.

esq_stu
01-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Tried a clipdraw on several different guns. Never left the house with one, though.Each trial lasted about 30 seconds.

langenc
01-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Use a clipdraw on a jframe. Really IWB carry. Gun is clipped to trouser (IWB)and belt goes over the gun and clip.

Langford
01-22-2011, 10:51 PM
I have carried my S&W bodyguard .38 in my pocket for the past few days with no holster. It is in my front pocket of my jeans, and it is a lot more comfortable than I assumed it would be...don't even realize it is there unless I think about it. I have a pocket holster, and an IWB holster on order...but they are still a few weeks out. I wasn't sure about carrying with no holster at first, but I'm fairly comfortable with it now...I don't put anything else in that pocket, so that pocket is basically my holster for the time being.

7.62 Nato
01-22-2011, 10:59 PM
When the family is willing to talk about it and if they have al the forensic details I will share the rest. This as well as anything good or bad is for education and thats what MGO is all about.
And that is exactly my interest in it. I'm glad you understood that.

shurhouse
01-23-2011, 08:35 AM
I have carried my S&W bodyguard .38 in my pocket for the past few days with no holster. It is in my front pocket of my jeans, and it is a lot more comfortable than I assumed it would be...don't even realize it is there unless I think about it. I wasn't sure about carrying with no holster at first, but I'm fairly comfortable with it now....

I would think that this is the exact type of scenario that Rick is asking everyone NOT to do.

PackRat
01-23-2011, 08:38 AM
I have carried my S&W bodyguard .38 in my pocket for the past few days with no holster. It is in my front pocket of my jeans, and it is a lot more comfortable than I assumed it would be...don't even realize it is there unless I think about it. I have a pocket holster, and an IWB holster on order...but they are still a few weeks out. I wasn't sure about carrying with no holster at first, but I'm fairly comfortable with it now...I don't put anything else in that pocket, so that pocket is basically my holster for the time being.

Isn't that the way that MSP Troopers did it for years and years?

smac61
01-23-2011, 01:56 PM
On rare occasions I will pocket carry my S&W Model 36

Same gun, same answer...

RSF
01-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Terrible loss,

Usually the issue is, pending what type of gun it was, is the person dropped the gun and tried to catch it, and ND the gun into themselves(most common thing that happens )

Generally you don't find smart engineers carrying junk guns
would for like to hear more on this when the rest of details are found out

tote'ngranny
01-23-2011, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't even dream of carrying without some type of protection over the trigger guard. I always carry in a holster of some kind that I trust, know to do the job 100%. Except for the bellyband for my Bodygurad.380 which I have had to use on a rare occasion, I use Raven holsters for the BG.380 and my M&P9c.

My condolences to the family .. so sad, and was so preventable. I hope others on this forum and elsewhere learn from this tragedy.

Remasculated
01-23-2011, 03:11 PM
http://www.magpul.com/assets/images/blogImages/2011%20Calendar/DSC01850.JPG

RSF
01-23-2011, 03:16 PM
good thing we used unloaded and disabled guns for that shoot

Remasculated
01-23-2011, 03:28 PM
But that really isn't the issue, is it? After all, the viewer has no knowledge of what was done for safety purposes during the photo shoot.

The issue is what image it presents, especially to a newb surfing the website and particularly a woman perhaps new to carry – that totin' a handgun in that manner is endorsed by Magpul.

Eh...

It's a great photo otherwise, as I'm partial to 1911s...and hot blondes.

RSF
01-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Ahhh if someone thinks that they shouldnt carry a gun

Joeywhat
01-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Ahhh if someone thinks that they shouldnt carry a gun

Big boy rules in effect...this is real life, folks.

kevins_garage
01-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Is the blond in the pic above a dude or a chick?

lil_freak_66
01-25-2011, 11:15 PM
I wont lie,a few times ive done it without a holster in my house (who wants to throw pants and a holster on to go to the bathroom at 3am?)

But never with the chamber hot(never carry chamber hot,not having a cpl i think its too dangerous to constantly be racking in a round and taking it out for transport for open carry),it goes in an interior pocket on a flannel shirt i got usually,where it doesnt do any moving around. please note that i only conceal firearms on my property,where it is lawful to do so.

ive found that its easier just to sling a long arm when i am doing that though,especially when i dont wanna toss on the flannel.

but for carry in public?hell to the mother ******* no,one should always have a holster(or good sling for long arm carry)

slav1north
01-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Never, when bought my glock 27 I put it in my front cargo pants pocket UNLOADED just to see how it felt. I dont even cary with one in the pipe for now, got pretty good at drawing and racking the slide all in one smooth motion. Ive been shooting handguns for over 30 years but just recieved my cpl in November. safty first.

Hockey9019
01-29-2011, 10:32 PM
It happens more times than people think that carry a gun without a holster.

However, I have done this on a few occasions with my G19. I'll unchamber the round though and throw it in my front pocket. Any other time its chambered.

Hockey9019
01-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Never, when bought my glock 27 I put it in my front cargo pants pocket UNLOADED just to see how it felt. I dont even cary with one in the pipe for now, got pretty good at drawing and racking the slide all in one smooth motion. Ive been shooting handguns for over 30 years but just recieved my cpl in November. safty first.

Carry it with one in the chamber.

You think you're good and fast? I bet you my AR and my G19 that I could shoot you twice with a chambered gun before you could even rack it. I used to not carry chambered for the first week or two then I realized my gun won't fire if you don't press the trigger

fbuckner
02-07-2011, 04:42 PM

You think you're good and fast? I bet you my AR and my G19 that I could shoot you twice with a chambered gun before you could even rack it. I used to not carry chambered for the first week or two then I realized my gun won't fire if you don't press the trigger

To bad we dont all train like the Israelies do! They carry with an empty chamber and have proven they can make you dead before you think about drawing a bead on them and they hold it like it came out of the box.

fbuckner
02-07-2011, 04:45 PM
BOT- He was carrying a 1911 cocked and no holster in a pocket of his hoodie no holster Took one round right to the sternum. It was deemed an A/D after 2 weeks of investigation.
Tragedy often leads to education.

RSF
02-07-2011, 06:03 PM
BOT- He was carrying a 1911 cocked and no holster in a pocket of his hoodie no holster Took one round right to the sternum. It was deemed an A/D after 2 weeks of investigation.

so how did he deactivate the grip safety and the thumb safety to get the gun to discharge....unless

He had a grip on the gun or a rubber slip on grip or the like to deactivate the GS
also would need to deactivate the thumb safety
then press the trigger

Sound more like ND than and ad and someone playing with there gun
a holster wouldn't have stopped this from happening

Lesson here is?

terrible avoidable loss

_DK_
02-07-2011, 06:24 PM

I am far from an expert, but that don't sound right...

7of9
02-07-2011, 06:38 PM
I am far from an expert, but that don't sound right...

Agreed. But perhaps....maybe the belly or steering wheel could engage the grip safety, but you still have to have the trigger pulled.....w/o the thumb safety on.:scratch:

hopeitsfast
02-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Agreed. But perhaps....maybe the belly or steering wheel could engage the grip safety, but you still have to have the trigger pulled.....w/o the thumb safety on.:scratch:
A lot of people disable the grip safety on their 1911. Don't know if that's the case here or not, but it happens. Terrible situation all the way around.

RSF
02-07-2011, 08:18 PM
A lot of people disable the grip safety on their 1911. Don't know if that's the case here or not, but it happens. Terrible situation all the way around.

Only Idiots do that ****

fbuckner
02-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Alot of things done to guns can make them easier to go off with a little clothing material snagging it I.E trigger jobs. It was deemed a A/D and I guess the best person to tell us what happened cant. To be honest our M&P's IMO have no safety other than keeping the booger hook of the trigger. You would be amazed how easy the trigger pulls with a piece of string hanging up on it.

The condidtions of the steps most likely played a part in it as they were icy. he was in his PJ's with a hoodie. Im thinking he had his hand on the gun to keep it from falling out of his pocket,slipped and fell and didnt have time to get his hands out of his pockets to catch his fall and BOOM. I was told I would get a copy when the spouse got it from MSP.

7.62 Nato
02-07-2011, 10:34 PM
All in all a bad, and sad situation.

Knightrider03m
02-07-2011, 10:37 PM
I think the real moral of the story is to treat your gun like it is a gun ALL THE TIME. I have carried without a holster in my pocket, just have to make sure that your finger is OFF the trigger... the same way that you do with a gun in the holster on your hip.

RSF
02-07-2011, 10:42 PM
guns don't go off in pockets 1911s more so unless 3 things happen

grip is depressed, thumb safety swiped and trigger pressed it happens

to bad it does but to make the gun go boom there had to be a lot of things going on at once a costly leaning lesson

Sorry to his family

DevilsKnight
02-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Just thought some of you might find this interesting it is a holster that chambers a round when being drawn to bad they only make them for Makarov Glock-17 M1911 i would have gotten one if they had them for my Ruger P89

http://www.efa-2004.com/products/1M-en.php

TheTrainingTeamCPL
02-08-2011, 01:39 PM

I'll take that bet.

hopeitsfast
02-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Just thought some of you might find this interedting it is a holster that chambers a round when being drawn to bad they only make them for Makarov Glock-17 M1911 i would have gotten one if they had them for my Ruger P89

http://www.efa-2004.com/products/1M-en.php
My .02,

Waste of time and movements. But, to each their own.

sullyxlh
02-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Just thought some of you might find this interesting it is a holster that chambers a round when being drawn to bad they only make them for Makarov Glock-17 M1911 i would have gotten one if they had them for my Ruger P89
Ya might as well be relying on a Serp...

Darminator
02-08-2011, 11:33 PM
I'll take that bet.

It may be too readily available to do. The terms and stipulations seem silly but could be achievable with two airsoft pistols.

What he said was, I'll bet you my AR and G19 that I can shoot you TWICE with a condtion 1 pistol before you can rack your gun in an israeli draw. Sure you can rack your pistol TheTrainingTeamCPL but what good is a cocked pistol if you have 2 smouldering hot chunks of lead in your heart and lung. I'm not trying to bring you down or bash you but i've thought similiarly myself.

I dont see the vid loading so here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syxrpLbaEuY

miked
02-09-2011, 10:31 AM
I have carried on occasion w/o a holster when I had my KT P-11. I never felt comfortable doing it, even with the long hard trigger that gun had. I won't carry now w/o one.

TheTrainingTeamCPL
02-09-2011, 10:45 AM
It may be too readily available to do. The terms and stipulations seem silly but could be achievable with two airsoft pistols.

What he said was, I'll bet you my AR and G19 that I can shoot you TWICE with a condtion 1 pistol before you can rack your gun in an israeli draw. Sure you can rack your pistol TheTrainingTeamCPL but what good is a cocked pistol if you have 2 smouldering hot chunks of lead in your heart and lung. I'm not trying to bring you down or bash you but i've thought similiarly myself.

I dont see the vid loading so here is the link

Lol I understand what he's saying. And I'm saying that I will take his bet that be could put to rounds on target before I could draw and chamber a round.

Now I'm not advocating carrying with an empty chamber. But drawing and racking isn't that much slower.

shurhouse
02-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Lol I understand what he's saying. And I'm saying that I will take his bet that be could put to rounds on target before I could draw and chamber a round.

Now I'm not advocating carrying with an empty chamber. But drawing and racking isn't that much slower.

My money's on Keith.

yndotguy
02-10-2011, 01:01 AM
I've wondered about this too. Like using the belt clip for Kel tec P3AT or LCP? the thought of that scares me a bit.

I would consider doing that with a revolver, but not PREFER it.

Harleybabe
02-10-2011, 08:14 PM
fbuckner: No matter HOW it happened, it sucks that you lost someone you care about. Sorry.

fbuckner
02-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Yep he was a great guy with many things left unfinished. He was nearly 90% done restoring a mid 70's Jaguar for his 12 yr old son to drive when he got his lic.

ronw
02-24-2011, 11:22 PM
i have carried a mod 60 with a barimi hip clip for 26 years everyday. comfortable and secure

Leader
02-25-2011, 10:09 AM
i have carried a mod 60 with a barimi hip clip for 26 years everyday. comfortable and secure

But how many times have you shot yourself?

PackRat
02-25-2011, 05:32 PM
But how many times have you shot yourself?

Would shooting oneself be considered comfortable?

Leader
02-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Would shooting oneself be considered comfortable?

Since I joined here I have been hearing how dangerous carrying without a holster is.
This man says he has done it for 26 years, I can only assume he has shot himself several times.
I just wanted to know how many times.

Combat Commander
02-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Since I joined here I have been hearing how dangerous carrying without a holster is.
This man says he has done it for 26 years, I can only assume he has shot himself several times.
I just wanted to know how many times.

People do dumb **** all the time and they all dont have bad out comes

So what is your point?

PackRat
02-25-2011, 11:24 PM
People do dumb **** all the time and they all dont have bad out comes

So what is your point?

Maybe his point is the fact that not all that many years ago, there simply was not the vast array of firearm accessories that are available today.

I gotta believe that more than one guy here is mighty familiar with T-grips and/or rubber bands.

The Michigan State Police carried snubbies as a course of business and they were carried in pockets without holsters.

These days, there are lots of better alternatives but that doesn't mean that old timers did dumb things and/or shot themselves.

Leader
02-26-2011, 04:52 AM
My point is... Carrying a gun without a holster is not unsafe.
All this hysteria about it is BS.
In the past very few people have done dumb things while carrying that has resulted in an AD or ND . That is going to happen and is NOT because they carried without a holster. It's because they put their finger on the trigger when they shouldn't have.
We have way too many rules to make us safe & not enough personal responsibility to make them work.

knu2xs
02-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Maybe his point is the fact that not all that many years ago, there simply was not the vast array of firearm accessories that are available today.

I gotta believe that more than one guy here is mighty familiar with T-grips and/or rubber bands.

The Michigan State Police carried snubbies as a course of business and they were carried in pockets without holsters.

These days, there are lots of better alternatives but that doesn't mean that old timers did dumb things and/or shot themselves.

Good points! Back in the 70's & 80's I carried either a 1911 or Charter Arms, Undercover, snub nose without a holster and never shot myself. Not even once.

Also, as a kid, I never rode in a car seat, wore a seat belt or wore a helmet while bike riding (4 bike trips from Flint to Mackinaw as a young teen). It's a wonder I survived...

With that said, a very bad thing happened to a very good person, for whatever reason, and I offer all of his Family & Friends my deep, heartfelt, condolences.

Eternal Sun
02-27-2011, 10:43 PM
I guess I am guilty, Revolver S&W 642 snub occasionly in the back pocket of my jeans.