PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a pistol this week, help.

$$Midge$$
01-23-2011, 10:54 AM
I will be purchasing a pistol this week and would welcome any suggestions. I do have a spicific one in mind, Kimber Custom Target 45, Stainless with moprolight sights. I was planning on going to Guns Galore in Fenton to start the process. I imagine it's going to take a while to get the pistol; that's why I started the process with getting my CPL.
Suggested ammo and where to get it?
Different pistol?
Anything you would care to suggest is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Ol` Joe
01-23-2011, 11:05 AM
You might price Williams along with Guns Galore, they are often cheaper depending on the day. If you are a county resident Genessee takes ~ 5 minutes to hand you your purchase permit and you`re good to go. If the gun is in stock you can be popping caps two hrs after leaving the house.
Winchester White Box is as cheap usually as you`ll find and good break in/plinking ammo. Wal-Mart, or Meijers are a couple places to start shopping ammo.

MichiganShootist
01-23-2011, 11:10 AM
In my experience you can't do much better than a Kimber.

Having said that your new toy will need 300 - 500 rounds of break in so like the above post indicated ...stock up on Winchester White box 230 grain ammo and have some fun.

My choice for defense in my personal Kimber is loaded the Winchester Supreme Elite bonded ammo. It was picked by the FBI as their duty round.... if it's good enough for them it's fine with me. In three guns it shoots to the same point of aim as does the white box---- which is important.

Good Luck.

$$Midge$$
01-23-2011, 11:18 AM
I'll check out Williams, thanks too on the ammo. I have my CPL so I don't need a purchase permit. Thank you kindly for your help.

$$Midge$$
01-23-2011, 11:22 AM
In my experience you can't do much better than a Kimber.

Having said that your new toy will need 300 - 500 rounds of break in so like the above post indicated ...stock up on Winchester White box 230 grain ammo and have some fun.

My choice for defense in my personal Kimber is loaded the Winchester Supreme Elite bonded ammo. It was picked by the FBI as their duty round.... if it's good enough for them it's fine with me. In three guns it shoots to the same point of aim as does the white box---- which is important.

Good Luck.

Thank you, I will pick up a few boxes and hopefully it won't take a long time to get the pistol. Sounds like 2 months is the shortest wait unless you can find a shop that actually has one.

usmcpaul
01-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Sounds like 2 months is the shortest wait unless you can find a shop that actually has one.

Have you considered Gun Broker? I recently bought a couple of 45's there and had no problem. I received them both in a few days. As with anything else, check out their feedback, and be cautious of the deal that's too good to be true.

One guy I used was Kones Corner in North(maybe South) Dakota. They had a lot of Kimbers and were very easy/nice to deal with.

GB has a search function that lets you find a local FFL that will accept it for you. I paid $20 for the transfer.

$$Midge$$
01-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Got my pistol; not the Kimber Custom Stainless Target II that I went for. Still can't believe I came home with a Kimber Grand Raptor II from the custom shop; I've field stripped it and cleaned it and supprisingly I got it back together. Ok so the recoil spring plug did go flying once. The friction pin on the slide stop lever is too long. It sticks out twice as far as the one on the safety. I got a piece of spring metal and ground it to size and slid it between and pushed and the slide stop just plunked into place. Before doing this I pushed really quite hard and it was a no go, and I did line it up with the little half moon notch. It's just to tight. Of corse I didn't want to scratch it so it was a struggle.

Is there some secret to compressing the recoil spring during assembly? I have the tool for taking it appart and it's great but putting it back together and my small hands it hurts like heck pushing it down, I think next time I may try the clip to push with. Again I don't want to scratch anything. :)

Eric00
01-25-2011, 08:53 PM
I feel you should post pics of the new gun:poke:

$$Midge$$
01-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Ok so I went to photo bucket and uploaded the photo I took. Well that didn't work very well, so here's the shortcut. And yes I did purchase a couple of wilson combat clips while I was there as extras. Can't seem to upload the photo.http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/x387/mel20205/?action=view&current=P1245966.jpg
http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/x387/mel20205/?action=view&current=P1245966.jpg

$$Midge$$
01-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Is there some secret to compressing the recoil spring during assembly? I have the tool for taking it appart and it's great but putting it back together and my small hands it hurts like heck pushing it down, I think next time I may try the clip to push with. Again I don't want to scratch anything. :)

I figured something out with the spring too; just in case it gets away from you like mine did last night during assembly. See the photo: This way it won't get too far! And I now use the tool to push it down.
http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/x387/mel20205/?action=view&current=P1265970.jpg

taylorcalero
03-08-2011, 07:22 PM
buy ammo bulk online

RevDerb
03-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Very nice.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x387/mel20205/hereyougo.gif

XDM 40 cal
03-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Try this way put it together and the last step is to push the guide rod in,flip the bushing, lock the guide rod with the alan wench. not too tight.

Also you might want to Ck out 1911forms in the kimber group..

they be able to help out you more..