PDA

View Full Version : carbine class update

RSF
07-19-2005, 09:08 PM
also i forgot to mention bring a handgun and magazines as we will be covering transitons about 100 rnds

WhoIsJohnGalt
07-26-2005, 06:17 AM
Do you recommend a leg drop holster for the handgun?

(If so, I have UTG brand ("Under the Gun" from Leaper's Police supply) adjustable belt drop leg holsters for $18.95 each for anyone who needs one.
http://www.leapers.com/product%20images/tactical%20armor/pvc-h168et.jpg

Also, 2 or 3 pouch belt drop AR mag pouches (each can hold up to six 30 rd AR mags) for $18.95 as well.
http://www.leapers.com/product%20images/tactical%20armor/pvc-lp603.jpg
http://www.leapers.com/product%20images/tactical%20armor/pvc-lp604.jpg

I will have some available at the carbine class.

Also, I have an extra NIB collapsible 4 position AR stock (black) on sale for $29.00.

RSF
07-26-2005, 09:20 AM
drop thigh rig is fine, belt holster will do too! your choices

sprink
07-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Class was great.

Great people, good weather and firearms. Does it get any better?

The class was good and I think evereyone had a good time. Only two people got bloody and one was Deputy, so who cares. :lol:

I think everyone learned something. Push-Pull!, hold over at close range,
trigger manipulation, clearance drills, failure drill, some movement, controlled pairs, NSR and plenty of trigger time.

Had a couple of guns malfunction. Learned what happens when the gas key comes loose. Learned what happens when a round of 7.62 X 39 gets in a .556 AR. Learned that some jams cannot be cleared in the field.

John wins for the best intentionally created double feed. :wink:

I would tell anyone that even considered taking this class do it in the future. From beginner (with basic safe gun handling skills and familiarity with their carbine), to the experienced, you can benefit from a class like this. The value of the drills, repetition and pressure provided in a format like this cannot be created by yourself on the bench/range.

Also should thank Marty for helping out and the Jackson County Outdoor Club (and Barbara!) for providing the range.

WhoIsJohnGalt
07-31-2005, 06:12 PM
Great class from Deputy, as usual! So much covered. This level of training is essential for understanding the capabilities and limitations of the carbine (AR specifically).

I even managed to Fxxx Up TWO new AR's! :lol:

All is good again, though.

That' dude sure can shoot! :shock:

mitommy
08-01-2005, 09:24 AM
I have to agree with the comments above.
This was my first class with Deputy and he sure did a great job. (I knew he weould)

I re-staked that gas key so that it should be good for a Looong time now.

Dep's time for the box drill was under 2 seconds! WOW!

1 shot to center of mass in .33 seconds!

I'll see Deputy at a IDPA match sometime. Even if it is only about 70 rounds. (The classifier is 90 rounds)

Once again, thanks for a great day.

G22
08-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Had a great time and I learned allot. I will need lots of practice on everything we covered.

Hold over is a must to make your hits count
Jams suck but knowing how to clear them is critical
I need practice re-setting my 2 stage trigger during rapid fire
Push/pull, don't slam the mags in and only 28 rounds max so the mags seat easily
The box drills were fun and challenging
If I had to guess the proper way to transition between rifle and pistol I would have got it wrong.
Shooting your AR at the end of the class, strong hand only, is not easy
Lula mag loaders are worth their weight in gold
The class was worth every penny.

I also learned not to shoot like the French, and that I'm not Kate Jackson. :oops:

I'm very happy with my choice to get a RRA Entry Tactical. I had no malfunctions besides the ones I created intentionally.

It was good to see everyone again.
Thanks to Steve, Marty, J.C.O.C., and Barb for getting us in :D

RSF
08-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Glad, you all got so much out of it,

the two stage triggers ae ok for longer distance shooting but are slower to reset for speed shooting and tend to walk the pins and cause the trigger group to fail! if you have 2 stage, get some anitwalk pin set for it.

tommy only if i can use my ar!

Fiddler
08-01-2005, 12:14 PM
It was definitely a great class, as always. Deputy knows how to pack the most instruction possible into one day, and it was a fast paced, heart pumping, hard day of training with a variety lessons learned and great drills to take home and practice. I think we all have the aching muscles and bruises to prove it! Speaking of aches and bruises, I learned first hand that crazy glue makes a great band-aid in a combat situation.

Although I ran my AR at the last carbine class, I decided to put my Beretta Storm in 9mm through the paces. It’s definitely the most I have ever run the storm, and I was happy it performed reliably with no issues. I was delighted to learn that the design of the Beretta made it extraordinarily easy to clear on clearance drills. The Hakko TacPoint red dot sight I bought from John performed perfectly as well. A dump pouch was a necessity for speed and tactical reload drills. A few of us had Maxpedition Rollypollys, and John also had some good dump pouches on hand, as well as a variety of mag holders other supplies for those who needed it. By the way, thanks, John for the use of the extra mags. My new mags were waiting on my doorstep when I got home. Good timing, eh? :roll:

Push pulls and hold overs were only the beginning, and everyone had to learn how to shoot controlled and rapid pairs and speed up their shots while retaining combat accuracy. The faster you can get your follow up shots, the better off you are in a combat situation. NSR drills were a favorite, made even more fun when allowed to advance on the target. Failure drills are always fun, but made even more interesting with box drills in which you are instructed to shoot your neighbor’s target as well as your own. Most of us are used to not shooting at our neighbor’s target, but in this drill it was considered “covering your partner.”

Sometimes you can get a better shot at the target from a kneeling position, and kneeling also allows you to keep a smaller profile and possibly kneel behind cover. Doing so while holding an AR presents a new challenge that should be practiced. Transition drills were also important to help develop the muscle memory of going from AR to pistol safely and efficiently. Strong hand only drills are always a good idea to practice in case you lose the use of your support hand, but if you’ve ever tried them with a carbine, it’s a challenge to try to hold it up and shoot accurately, especially for those with heavy rigs. It was very valuable practice, and I found myself going back for another run through. Great class as always, so when’s the next one? :ar15:

WhoIsJohnGalt
08-01-2005, 01:13 PM
I found out my Colt 6920 does not like a lot of oil! :?
It seems to like dry molybdenum though........

goldwing2000
08-01-2005, 01:33 PM
... I learned first hand that crazy glue makes a great band-aid in a combat situation.

That's actually what it was invented for in the first place!!

Fiddler
08-01-2005, 02:03 PM
You're right. I should have specified that was explained to me in some detail. I was a little hesitant to try it at first, but after going through several band-aids, I agreed to try the crazy glue. It did what it was designed to do quite effectively.

goldwing2000
08-01-2005, 02:22 PM
"Bonds skin instantly" ;)

Fiddler
08-01-2005, 03:57 PM
"Bonds skin instantly" ;)

:lol: Yep, it sure does.

resq47
08-02-2005, 12:03 AM
Hi all! Oddly enough I've never lurked here... Anyway everybody likes pictures, so at least my intro post will get some reads :lol:

I attended a 3 day carbine operators course with Deputy earlier in the summer, and he let me know about Saturday's event. It was a good day and a good chance to meet some other ~local shooters, while helping to keep the futures market in brass recycling healthy :twisted:

Here are a few of the pics I snapped during the day, I wasn't planning to document the whole class so they shouldn't be viewed as all-inclusive.

http://www.carbonphoto.com/images/ar/7_30_steve/2005_8_1-008.jpg

Verifying stances

http://www.carbonphoto.com/images/ar/7_30_steve/2005_8_1-009.jpg

Stance correction

http://www.carbonphoto.com/images/ar/7_30_steve/2005_8_1-010.jpg

Square peg, meet round hole

http://www.carbonphoto.com/images/ar/7_30_steve/2005_8_1-011.jpg

http://www.carbonphoto.com/images/ar/7_30_steve/2005_8_1-013.jpg

RSF
08-02-2005, 12:09 AM
thanks Andy for sharing those and for comming out!

resq47
08-02-2005, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the invite! I like your weather better :D