PDA

View Full Version : Oakland County Sportsman Club

Chris M
01-30-2011, 09:02 PM
I recently moved into the Clarkston area and wanted to know some info on OCSC. What types of shooting events do they host? More specifically for pistol. I live about 20 minutes from OCSC and wanted feedback from others in the area.

casey7
02-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Chris,
OCSC has sub-clubs for a number of disciplines. DR Wilson Rifle & Pistol sub-club maintain a 25 & 50 yard Covered outdoor range along with a 100 yard open range. Our indoor range house has a separate ready room, range Officer's call booth, 15 shooting stations off benches & turning target holders.
We offer both PPC Training programs as well as league matches and a PPC Tournament coming up in March.
We also have a Conventional Pistol "Bullseye" league, SEMPA, that we participate in along with 5 other teams from southeast Mich.
Our tournament will be in Feb. the 18, 19, 20th
Go to ocsc-mi.org and check out all the clubs and links.

casey7@comcast.net

joepistol
02-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Although I've been a member @ OCSC for 20+ years, I have not been very active there for most of them..working afternoons, MN 's @ times ,& having to work @ least every other weekend kept me from participating in many of their activities, for all those years. I will say I think that OCSC is a great club, with a lot of good members. I made friendships, or at least met & recognize, many of the clubs' "old timers" which are very wise in their areas of interest.
If you need a sponsor to join or would like to look around or try their range(s)
send me a PM & I'll try to help you give it a try...Joepistol..:pistols:

Chris M
02-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'd like to check out the indoor facility one of these days. I'll send a pm out to see if I can check out the facilities.

Thanks again.

donald150
02-06-2011, 12:01 AM
I have been a member there for about a year and I need to start looking into some of the shooting leagues. It seems that most times I want to shoot indoors, there is something going on in there. I figure I may have to join them some day.

I do like the club very much.

CallmeDave
02-06-2011, 12:05 AM
Wait OCC and waterford raceway are the same club? I remember passing some skeet shooting when I went to watch one of the test and tune races but I never put the two together.

So is being part of the club give you any benefits to to the raceway?

donald150
02-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Wait OCSC and waterford raceway are the same club? I remember passing some skeet shooting when I went to watch one of the test and tune races but I never put the two together.

So is being part of the club give you any benefits to to the raceway?

Fixed it for you.

I believe you get in the races for free. Also free or discounted pit passes.

hopeitsfast
02-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Can you draw from a holster? Are there any spots where you are allowed to shoot on the move? Can you "rapid fire"? This place is much closer then my current club, so i might need to join another one in addition to the current.

joepistol
02-06-2011, 12:31 AM
The Waterford Hills Racetrack is on OCSC grounds..one of the sub clubs is the roadracers.When you join OCSC, you are considered a general member and you are then able to join any of their sub clubs..Some of the sub clubs are shotgun,archery,rifle/pistol,roadracers, & muzzleloaders.Most the sub clubs have small additional membership fees. You don't have to join a sub club to use facilities, but you do if you want to join in their leagues.(Cost varies by subclub) Embarassing to admit, but I recently learned with your general membership,you get free admission to any of the races @ OCSC. A tip to know if you are a member, is to check the monthly magazine the club mails you for RANGE CLOSURE dates..saves driving out to the range to find out a CPL class is being held & the indoor range is closed for the class. I got in the habit of calling the main office before I loaded up the (car/truck/bike) with shooting stuff to make sure the range was open, as I often can't find newsletter when I need it!
A nice thing about OCSC is that they do not charge an additional "range use fee" in addition to your membership dues, as some clubs do.
As I said in earlier post, I think OCSC is a great club..Joepistol..:pistols:

hopeitsfast
02-06-2011, 12:33 AM
The Waterford Hills Racetrack is on OCSC grounds..one of the sub clubs is the roadracers.When you join OCSC, you are considered a general member and you are then able to join any of their sub clubs..Some of the sub clubs are shotgun,archery,rifle/pistol,roadracers, & muzzleloaders.Most the sub clubs have small additional membership fees. You don't have to join a sub club to use facilities, but you do if you want to join in their leagues.(Cost varies by subclub) Embarassing to admit, but I recently learned with your general membership,you get free admission to any of the races @ OCSC. A tip to know if you are a member, is to check the monthly magazine the club mails you for RANGE CLOSURE dates..saves driving out to the range to find out a CPL class is being held & the indoor range is closed for the class. I got in the habit of calling the main office before I loaded up the (car/truck/bike) with shooting stuff to make sure the range was open, as I often can't find newsletter when I need it!
A nice thing about OCSC is that they do not charge an additional "range use fee" in addition to your membership dues, as some clubs do.
As I said in earlier post, I think OCSC is a great club..Joepistol..:pistols:
Hey Joe, can you answer post #8 please?

donald150
02-06-2011, 12:39 AM
Can you draw from a holster? Are there any spots where you are allowed to shoot on the move? Can you "rapid fire"? This place is much closer then my current club, so i might need to join another one in addition to the current.

I don't know about the holster or shooting on the move.

Rapid fire is allowed in the indoor range as long as you are doing it safely.(hitting the target)
Outdoor 25-50 yard range is multiple load NO rapid fire.

Outdoor 100 yard is SINGLE load only (bench or prone only)

Clearly running and shooting would not be practical outdoor with the NO rapid fire rule and I don't know if the indoor range would even be big enough if you were the only one in there. But it might be.

hopeitsfast
02-06-2011, 12:42 AM
I don't know about the holster or shooting on the move.

Rapid fire is allowed in the indoor range as long as you are doing it safely.(hitting the target)
Outdoor 25-50 yard range is multiple load NO rapid fire.

Outdoor 100 yard is SINGLE load only (bench or prone only)

Clearly running and shooting would not be practical outdoor with the NO rapid fire rule and I don't know if the indoor range would even be big enough if you were the only one in there. But it might be.
Thanks for the info. Due to the rules, you're club has been spared my presence...LOL

donald150
02-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the info. Due to the rules, you're club has been spared my presence...LOL

There are other restrictions like, no magnum ammo allowed INDOORS above .22mag. This includes 10mm.
No rifles above .22 indoors.

Even with all of the restrictions it is still better than Bass Pro Shop.

When I want to "turn loose" I head to The Pit.

joepistol
02-06-2011, 02:21 PM
In response to ?'s in post #8..

I haven't seen or been told of any rule re: drawing from a holster. The ranges all have posted rules & from memory (for what it's worth) I've seen nothing re: holsters. As for run & gun type acton shooting,the ranges are not set up for this . More of a sit or stand @ bench (firing line) and shoot range.

Years ago when the club was founded, it was in the middle of the woods &
action style of shooting wouldn't be a concern, but as now housing developments to the north & east,safety concerns preclude that style shooting on their ranges.
Unfortunately neighbors would like nothing better than to close the track/range(s),or club so although not agreeing with some rules,I do abide by them,personally.

As far as rapid fire, all ranges have a 3 second rule..wait 3 seconds between shots..seems a lot of shooters I see @ the indoor range have fast watches, or count really fast..

As with all rules, some are followeed,others not so much. I'd encourage you to check put OCSC's website (google is yer friend) for more info..
& even say stop by the club during normal office hrs. (on website) & pick up a newsletter (free/ in office/ main bldg)..Take a look @ what's availiable.

If intrested, I'm usually up for meeting someone @ the club, to try a range
send me a PM ..Joepistol..:pistols:

donald150
02-06-2011, 03:12 PM
In response to ?'s in post #8..

I haven't seen or been told of any rule re: drawing from a holster. The ranges all have posted rules & from memory (for what it's worth) I've seen nothing re: holsters. As for run & gun type acton shooting,the ranges are not set up for this . More of a sit or stand @ bench (firing line) and shoot range.

Years ago when the club was founded, it was in the middle of the woods &
action style of shooting wouldn't be a concern, but as now housing developments to the north & east,safety concerns preclude that style shooting on their ranges.
Unfortunately neighbors would like nothing better than to close the track/range(s),or club so although not agreeing with some rules,I do abide by them,personally.

As far as rapid fire, all ranges have a 3 second rule..wait 3 seconds between shots..seems a lot of shooters I see @ the indoor range have fast watches, or count really fast..

As with all rules, some are followeed,others not so much. I'd encourage you to check put OCSC's website (google is yer friend) for more info..
& even say stop by the club during normal office hrs. (on website) & pick up a newsletter (free/ in office/ main bldg)..Take a look @ what's availiable.

If intrested, I'm usually up for meeting someone @ the club, to try a range
send me a PM ..Joepistol..:pistols:

I don't recall seeing a sign on the indoor range about rapid fire. I was given the club tour by Terry Ondusky (club president) and he specifically told me that it was ok on the indoor range as long as it was done safely.

I rapid fire every time I am in there.

If you think about it, there would be no PPC matches allowed if rapid fire was prohibited.

joepistol
02-06-2011, 05:08 PM
It wouldn't be the first time... I know the 3 second rule is suspended on the outdoor rifle range for organized events,as they have timed fire in the DCM shoots.They may do the same for indoor shooting events,when a range officer is used. What you said about the indoor range is new to me. Next time you are there, look @ the wall just above/beside the range sign in book( in the indoor range) I believe that's where the range rules are posted. Joepistol..:pistols:

SnakeBee
02-08-2011, 10:02 PM
A colleague of mine is a member.
Once a month we plus some other colleagues, our wifes, kids etc go in to the indoor range. Most of the time we are the only ones in there.

We stick to the no magnum no rifle rule. But other then that it is up to us. Close or far range. Standing, sitting, prone. Some time we dim the light to really experience our night sights. I believe that we stay controlled and save.

The nice thing: the members have a magnet card and can enter until late at night.

A few years ago, when I started reloading for my rifles, I almost joined the club (...). The idea was to load in the evening, go to work, go test fire the load after work and before sunset at the 100 yard range, go home, make changes to the load, etc etc. Members are their own range officer and can enter and shoot on their own.

Sofar, I met there only nice and respectful people.

My $0.02

joepistol
02-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Went to the indoor range earlier today and reviewed the posted rules (on the wall,above the sign in book) @ the indoor range..there is NO posted 3 second rule in the posted rules.(!) ..again, I said I could be wrong..& I was right...Joepistol..:pistols:

gidaeon
02-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Does OCSC allow standing, sitting and prone at the outdoor rifle range? What is the round load limit, while following the 3sec rule.

Sometimes people look at me funny at the DNR ranges when I bring my shooting mat but I don't understand why you'd only shoot from a bench.

I am considering joining as well; but allowing use of a sling and in such positions is important IMO. Do they give "tours" so people can check the facilities out?

donald150
02-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Does OCSC allow standing, sitting and prone at the outdoor rifle range? What is the round load limit, while following the 3sec rule.

Sometimes people look at me funny at the DNR ranges when I bring my shooting mat but I don't understand why you'd only shoot from a bench.

I am considering joining as well; but allowing use of a sling and in such positions is important IMO. Do they give "tours" so people can check the facilities out?

100 Yard outdoor range is sitting at the bench OR Prone only. 1 round in your gun at a time and I believe NO pistols.

25-50 Yards you can stand and you can shoot pistol. You can also fully load your gun but there is the 3 sec rule.

Yes they do give tours. Last I checked it was Sat at 11am (and, or) 1pm I think. Give them a call to confirm.

248-623-0444 Office hours are Tues -Sat 9-5 (office is closed Sun & Mon)

casey7
02-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Out door range has a prone position between the 50yd and 100yd benches. you may also shoot prone at the south end of the range. there are dual benches, left and right, and space between them to shoot prone.. you may certainly use a sling, shoot standing.

casey7