PDA

View Full Version : Another Appleseed event at Lapeer - 3/26-3/27

intheburbs
02-01-2011, 12:20 AM
We've had such great responses to our Lapeer events, that we've added another to the calendar. March 26-27, 2011. We will be using the main firing line, only 14 slots available. This will be a rimfire only event. The long-distance range will not be available for this event.

Click HERE (http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19162.0)for more info
Click HERE (http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1267574349)to register

Feel free to PM me or email me at appleseedmi at mi.rr.com with any questions.

Garymac
02-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Having just recently learned about Appleseed I am signed up for March event. Look forward to learning and testing my skill. I also signed my 20 year old daughter up. I built a 10/22 for her a few years ago and now we have a chance to use it.

Looking forward it.

dmo8361
02-28-2011, 06:52 PM
I just attended the one over this past weekend. MONEY WELL SPENT! The history lesson itself is worth the cost. Also a very humbling experience. I personally had 25 years of bad habits to un-learn. The instructors did an outstanding job with all of the shooters, new and old. A bit of advice that I won't charge you for.....make sure all the screws are tight, and loc-tite is your friend (speciffically your scope mount screws). Trust me on that one.

hemmingsenm
03-01-2011, 09:54 AM
DMO8361 is correct. The trick to qualify is attention to detail. The instructors will teach you the technique but the rifle and equipment needs to be in top notch working order. You will need 500 rounds of ammo,at least 2 clips, a good adjustable sling is very important also elbow pads will prevent blisters on the elbows. You do not need an expensive target rifle any auto loader or bolt will work but it needs to work flawlessly as you are working against the clock. My son (starjammir) and I qualified with 70 year old bolt action rifles. Remember slow, deliberate well placed shots will do the trick every time, The first couple times you go through the AQT you will think there is no way to do it in the time allowed. The second day you will get your shots off and wonder why there is time left it will be because your technique has improved dramatically. Listen to the Instructors, relax, have fun and be safe. The Appleseed is a "hoot".

intheburbs
03-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Everything DMO and Hemm said is true. I would like to add one caveat - prior to last weekend, I had NEVER seen anyone make Rifleman with a bolt gun. I'd heard about a few people around the country who did it, but they are few and far between. We had three guys do it at Lapeer last weekend.

Unless you sleep with your bolt gun under your pillow, I'd strongly recommend an autoloader. Most people will just get frustrated with a bolt gun, especially the time-crunch stages of the AQT.

Example: Stage 2 of the AQT. Start standing, transition to seated, load rifle, , sling up, get NPOA, fire five shots on the left target, shift NPOA to the right target, fire five shots on the right target. Do all this in 55 seconds.

dmo8361
03-01-2011, 11:01 AM
...Example: Stage 2 of the AQT. Start standing, transition to seated, load rifle, , sling up, get NPOA, fire five shots on the left target, shift NPOA to the right target, fire five shots on the right target. Do all this in 55 seconds.

You forgot a step. Standing with an empty rifle, 2 rounds loaded in a magazine, transition to sitting, load, find npoa, fire 2 shots on 1st target, RELOAD, 3 more shots on 1st target, shift npoa, fire 5 rounds on 2nd target....in 55 seconds.

Garymac
03-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the tips. I am reconfiguring a couple of my 10/22s for this shoot. Because I can't see the front sight on most of my rifles I will use a scope. I ordered a couple of USGI web slings and have plenty of magazines and ammo. Gonna try and get out and practice the course of fire as well.

Have had lots of formal instruction in handguns but never had any instruction with a rifle. I am a pretty good shot with a rifle but I know I don't know what I don't know.

The other aspect of this program I find interesting is the history. I've studied the revolutionary war (RW). I've been to Lexington and Concord. I've walked the Freedom Trail in Boston and have been to the Old North Church, Bunker Hill (the battle of Bunker hill was actually fought on Breed's Hill), Feneuil Hall, Paul Revere's house. I've been to Independence Hall, Ben Franklin's house and Valley Forge. I've been to most of the battle fields and RW forts and of course Mt. Vernon.

Rifle Shooting and history! Can't get much better than that!

Trackman
03-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Can't say much without Bragging so I will just say What a Great time.
If your Gun Club is not Hosting Appleseed or Winterseed Shoots then you are really missing out.
I Really wanted to see that Girl Make Rifleman, but a 209 and not that familiar with Firearms shows how Good the Training is. She will make it next time.
You Bolt guys, Great Job! The Spirit of a True Rifleman.
If you made Rifleman with Iron Sights Great Job Also. My Aging Eyes will not allow me to do that anymore.
I am Really trying to get my Wife and Daughters to an Appleseed but no luck yet.
I have also Challenged the Guys at work to come out to the March Appleseed.
Hey maybe it will snow and it will turn into a Winterseed.

Superheat
03-01-2011, 02:01 PM
GARYMAC,
Make sure you get 1-1/4" swivels for those slings. Get spares if you plan on loaning them to dmo8361.:grin:

dmo8361
03-01-2011, 03:07 PM
GARYMAC,
Make sure you get 1-1/4" swivels for those slings. Get spares if you plan on loaning them to dmo8361.:grin:

I knew that was going to come up lol. For the record, I broke my swivels, not anyone elses. lol Enjoy it, it's time and money well spent.

Garymac
03-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks again for the tips.

Just measured my swivels and they are 1 1/4"

Done:
Scopes been mounted
Slings are ordered
Ammo accounted for
Extra mags cleaned and accounted for
All scope mount screws have been Loc-tighted

To Do:
Sight in rifles
Mount slings when they arrive
Practice course of fire
Anxiously await the weekend.

intheburbs
03-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Don't just prepare your rifle, prepare your body. Sling up, get down in prone, and dry fire for 10 minutes a day the week leading up to the event. This will pay you huge dividends at the event.

Garymac
03-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Don't just prepare your rifle, prepare your body. Sling up, get down in prone, and dry fire for 10 minutes a day the week leading up to the event. This will pay you huge dividends at the event.

Ha, another good tip. I am old and stiff (not a bad thing in some circumstances) so assuming the position is good practice. ;)

Mouse08
03-01-2011, 08:51 PM
rifleman yoga!

Garymac
03-02-2011, 10:31 AM
added to the list...

...elbow pads...and someone to help me get up off the ground after shooting prone. ;)

Mouse08
03-06-2011, 06:37 PM
I have not one but TWO pink rifles they could borrow for the shoot? Both are 10/22s. The one you may have seen at the last Lapeer shoot with the cool twisty fluted barrel the other one has the same stock and a standard barrel.

I am Really trying to get my Wife and Daughters to an Appleseed but no luck yet.

7.62 Nato
03-06-2011, 10:20 PM
If this is something that can/will cause you pain, I suggest taking something (aspirin, tylenol, motrin) before you start. By the time you finish, you will be ready for your next dose. And definitely use elbow pads.

Trackman
03-07-2011, 12:25 PM
I have not one but TWO pink rifles they could borrow for the shoot?
I haven't seen Both but the Fluted Barrel one is Really Really Really Pink.
Don't let it fool you, Mouse08 is a Great Shot no matter what the Color.
We Watched her put a Round Exactly where she wanted to on the First Shot, with someone elses Rifle, that she hadn't shot before. :thup:
That's why she's and Instructor.

Mouse08
03-07-2011, 09:48 PM
I'd forgotten all about that. Thanks for reminding me. If you're wondering what Trackman means by Really Really Really Pink...it's sort of this color. :doh2:

I haven't seen Both but the Fluted Barrel one is Really Really Really Pink.
Don't let it fool you, Mouse08 is a Great Shot no matter what the Color.
We Watched her put a Round Exactly where she wanted to on the First Shot, with someone elses Rifle, that she hadn't shot before. :thup:
That's why she's and Instructor.

Superheat
03-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Only one spot left for the March shoot in Lapeer... Who will get it?

Superheat
03-13-2011, 07:53 PM
The Lapeer shoot for March is sold out. Check the website for other dates.

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states.php?filter=MI&statename=Michigan

Gopher Boy
03-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Here you thought I was gone...

I don't mean to sound like I'm knocking the MGO board. I really like it a lot.

I just find myself asking if your registered over on the Appleseed board.

This is a great conversation that would really illustrate just how great Michigan is doing.

You guys ROCK... Keep it up.

rather... Don't make me come back there.

G.B.

Mouse08
03-21-2011, 08:04 PM
We'll just plan a mass border raid to Illinois! Hey, that's not a bad idea.:multi:

Trackman
03-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Looks Like it may turn into another Winterseed. Better Dust off the Blue Patches. Predicting 8+ Inches here in Lapeer and North. WooHooo!!

Trackman
03-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Oops Double Post. Sorry

Roundballer
03-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Looks Like it may turn into another Winterseed. Better Dust off the Blue Patches. Predicting 8+ Inches here in Lapeer and North. WooHooo!!
What weather service are you getting that from?

I have to plan things out for the weekend, and what I am seeing is some rain, possibly freezing, tonight and tomorrow, and then sunny through 'til Monday. Highs will only be in the 34-36 range with lows in the low to mid 20's.

This is from a single source, so reports from west and north of here would help. Of course the weather people only have about a 30% chance of being right.

Damn, I need to cast some more ball too, one more thing to add to the list.

Superheat
03-22-2011, 08:15 PM
What weather service are you getting that from?

I have to plan things out for the weekend, and what I am seeing is some rain, possibly freezing, tonight and tomorrow, and then sunny through 'til Monday. Highs will only be in the 34-36 range with lows in the low to mid 20's.

This is from a single source, so reports from west and north of here would help. Of course the weather people only have about a 30% chance of being right.

Damn, I need to cast some more ball too, one more thing to add to the list.

Can I put an order in for a couple of those balls? I need some show and tell for my bag of tricks...

Roundballer
03-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Can I put an order in for a couple of those balls? I need some show and tell for my bag of tricks...
Sure thing.

When I sit down to do this I will probably cast enough to cover the shoots for the rest of the year. I only had enough to just get through the Trade gun match on the 12th, and there is another match on Saturday at Bluewater that I want to go to, so.... Sunday at about the same time? Noon-ish?

tenthumbs
03-23-2011, 07:31 AM

WooHooo!! ??? that Polar Bear Pin is still Valid, Snow or no Snow. :salute: LOL

Looks like Your Prediction was right on....%^&*!!)#

See Ya Saturday.:thumbup:

Trackman
03-23-2011, 11:14 AM
I got a Good 6 inches and a 1/4" of Ice on top of that by the Time I left for Work this morning. (Southwest Corner of Lapeer County)
Tenthumbs, What did we get out by the club?

tenthumbs
03-23-2011, 11:37 AM
About 6" or so. I had no sooner got My Driveway Clear and Here comes the Road Plowing....a Foot of Slush 4 Feet Wide:banghead:

I just Talked to the Club Plow Guy. He is on His way out There to do the Lot now. So We will Be Fine for the Weekend.....after I Plow the Range Tomorrow.

Mouse08
03-23-2011, 08:03 PM
You're the BEST! That gets you 'hero of the weekend' status. Thanks so much for getting off the couch and getting that snow outta there.

Gopher Boy
03-25-2011, 11:49 PM
I hope you guys have a GREAT shoot. Sorry I won't be there...

Beat on that new Red Hat for me.

And Get and Orange Hat on that one's head. We need him!

G.B.

Superheat
03-26-2011, 08:08 PM
G.B.
Your seeds are sprouting. 1st day done. So far so great.

Superheat
03-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Another wonderful Appleseed in the books. If you were not there you missed out. You can see the AFTER ACTION REPORT for details and pictures.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=21668.0

Roundballer
03-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Another wonderful Appleseed in the books. If you were not there you missed out. You can see the AFTER ACTION REPORT for details and pictures.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=21668.0
I can't post over there, but these are out on Photobucket. You can take them if you want.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/Roundballer/Appleseed%20Mar%202011/Appleseed005.jpg
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/Roundballer/Appleseed%20Mar%202011/Appleseed007.jpg
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/Roundballer/Appleseed%20Mar%202011/Appleseed009.jpg
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/Roundballer/Appleseed%20Mar%202011/Appleseed010.jpg
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/Roundballer/Appleseed%20Mar%202011/Appleseed006.jpg
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/Roundballer/Appleseed%20Mar%202011/Appleseed004.jpg
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/Roundballer/Appleseed%20Mar%202011/Appleseed001.jpg

I was told that the thermometer held at 25 all day yesterday. This is what it looked like today.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/Roundballer/Appleseed%20Mar%202011/Appleseed012.jpg

This is what ONE POUND of Musket balls looks like.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/Roundballer/Appleseed%20Mar%202011/Appleseed011.jpg

tenthumbs
03-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Great Shoot as Usual.

We had Four Grandfather/Grandson, One Father/Daughter, One Husband/Wife 'Teams' among the Participants.

Appleseed is Truly a Family Activity. Shooting, Family Time, and American Heritage. It Doesn't get any Better than That.

Check the Schedule...there is probably a Shoot in the State somewhere near You this Year. Try to Attend one,You won't Regret It. :thumbup: