PDA

View Full Version : Snapping Turtle Hunting

Johnny Reb
02-06-2011, 01:17 PM
This is one crazy HillBilly. Hilarious!

http://www.wimp.com/snappingturtles/

Buzzcat
02-06-2011, 02:02 PM
I remember Fred Trost had an episode about some Michiganders doing the same thing, but they'd reach up blindly underneath the riverbanks to find them and yank them out. Fred gave it a shot and almost pissed himself when he felt one.

Can't blame him for freaking out though, snappers are nothing to mess with. Cranky SOBs that strike like cobras and latch on like vise-grips.

TylerPearce
02-06-2011, 03:27 PM
How do you get your teeth knocked out by a chainsaw?!

dramey82
02-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Didn't know there was a market for turtle, I know people make turtle soup, I wonder if he sells to restaurants?

Ruger
02-06-2011, 04:15 PM
I remember Fred Trost had an episode about some Michiganders doing the same thing, but they'd reach up blindly underneath the riverbanks to find them and yank them out. Fred gave it a shot and almost pissed himself when he felt one.

Can't blame him for freaking out though, snappers are nothing to mess with. Cranky SOBs that strike like cobras and latch on like vise-grips.

Yep I remember that....Ol Fred filled his depends.

We have a guy in Fairview that was a snapper hunter and he used every bit of the turtle, even the claws were made into very unique back scratcher's :brow:

knu2xs
02-06-2011, 05:02 PM
I used to Turtle hunt with some friends who grew up doing it as a way of life and was surprised on how things went the first time we cleaned some. We took boiling water and poured it over the Turtle while holding it by the tail and when we got through with that step the Turtle's skin was white as fresh snow. The boiling water, so I was told, was to get the algae and funky swamp gunk off of it before opening up the shell.........

Buzzcat
02-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Yep I remember that....Ol Fred filled his depends.
:

Remember when he got pinched by the Hellgrammite? I got nailed by one when I was a kiddo, so I know how it feels, and Fred's reaction was funny as hell to watch... I was like "Don't do it!".... and then afterwards, "LOL, how do ya feel now, doofus?"

LOL

I miss Fred.

knu2xs
02-06-2011, 05:32 PM
I just went and took this photo of a Snapper shell that my great-uncle gave me back in the 1960's. He lived up on the Paint River near Amasa and one of the things he did to put food on the table was trap Turtles. While I was never up there while he was running his traps I'll always remember those big traps stacked up outside his cabin, which didn't have running water or electricity.
Visiting him was always like going back in time.......

I put the tennis ball in the shot with the hope that it will show how big this Snapper was......

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL770/2917504/22289255/395018731.jpg

papabear
02-06-2011, 06:29 PM
I dont trap them but every year I help a half dozen get out of the road before they get run over. I live near a swamp and a lake you just grab them by the tail and hold them away from your body so that they dont get a quick snack before you let go:bite:

hillbillyinmi
02-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Didn't know there was a market for turtle, I know people make turtle soup, I wonder if he sells to restaurants?

My favorite way is par boil until it starts to get tender then bread it and fry like chicken. Damn good eating there.

laserguy
02-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Ya that is one crazy feller, no way I'm swimming in them swamp holes let alone feeling around for snappers.
Thanks for sharing.

Johnny Reb
02-07-2011, 06:45 PM
I can only imagine what's in them ponds, especially with cows hanging out in them :shake:

Darminator
02-08-2011, 11:46 PM
How do you get your teeth knocked out by a chainsaw?!

Cutting face level probably on a ladder knocking down branches. Sometimes the blades can bite into a knot in a tree, the reciprocating force of the chain motor makes it kick back into your face.

jackle1886
02-09-2011, 01:50 AM
This ranks right up there with "noodling." Guys that look for catfish in the river banks, get the cat to bite their hands, grab on and pull em out. Crazy if you ask me!