PDA

View Full Version : Short Shotguns

ninjatoth
02-07-2011, 08:55 PM
I need to know,is any shotgun that has at least an 18" barrel and overall length of 30" still considered a long gun and does NOT need to be registered?Like if I swap out my 18" barel and put a 20" barrel on my 870,then put a pistol only grip on it and the whole thing measures 30",or if I leave the 18" on it and put a folding stock on it that has a big hinge and the whole gun measures 30",etc,etc,am I still legal without registration?

Defiance665
02-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Not sure...

Just wanted to post to see where in sanford you were.
Its a small town..
Name?

Dylan Maxwell
I live across from Veterans park.

nitrous_bob
02-07-2011, 09:23 PM
yes that is correct

the 18" part is federal, and all short barrels will be 18 1/2" to be safe

the 30" is a michigan thing.... feds say 26"

im not too sure the folder will get you over 30" though... my mossy with pistol grip and 18 1/2" barrel is only about 28" overall

but as someone told me before.... if it's a pistol... you can keep it loaded on your front seat while driving around :poke: assuming you have a cpl that is

ninjatoth
02-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Not sure...

Just wanted to post to see where in sanford you were.
Its a small town..
Name?

Dylan Maxwell
I live across from Veterans park.

I actually live about 5 miles west of Sanford but my address is Sanford,although my kids will be going to Coleman school,its weird,but not as weird as one kid I knew,he lived in oil city,but oil city is technically Shepherd,but it's in Midland county,with a Mt pleasant phone # and they went to Coleman school:hick:

ninjatoth
02-07-2011, 09:31 PM
yes that is correct

the 18" part is federal, and all short barrels will be 18 1/2" to be safe

the 30" is a michigan thing.... feds say 26"

im not too sure the folder will get you over 30" though... my mossy with pistol grip and 18 1/2" barrel is only about 28" overall

but as someone told me before.... if it's a pistol... you can keep it loaded on your front seat while driving around :poke: assuming you have a cpl that is
No CPL for me,I am just trying to get my house gun shorter and maybe have a folder so I can still hunt well with it,and I don't want to legally pistola-tize it then no one I know can borrow it cause they don't have CPL's either.I am doing some measurements and it looks like one of the folders i'm looking at will put me at 31.5" closed.

PackRat
02-08-2011, 07:22 AM
,I am just trying to get my house gun shorter and maybe have a folder so I can still hunt well with it

What are you planning to hunt with a short barrelled (presumbably open choked) shotgun with a pistol grip?

They aren't any good for wing shooting and that choke doesn't work well for turkey blasting.

That leaves deer?

ninjatoth
02-08-2011, 09:10 AM
What are you planning to hunt with a short barrelled (presumbably open choked) shotgun with a pistol grip?

They aren't any good for wing shooting and that choke doesn't work well for turkey blasting.

That leaves deer?
Yes,deer.That 18" barrel actually has great accuracy with rifled slugs,I usually shoot my deer withing 25-50 yards from my blind so why not give it a try?I got a 4x shotgun scope.

PackRat
02-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Yes,deer.That 18" barrel actually has great accuracy with rifled slugs,I usually shoot my deer withing 25-50 yards from my blind so why not give it a try?I got a 4x shotgun scope.

Ok but....

No CPL for me,I am just trying to get my house gun shorter ...

A 4X scope on a house gun seems like less than an ideal set up.

Juggernaut
02-08-2011, 09:35 AM
ia AOW an option in Mi?

ninjatoth
02-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Ok but....

A 4X scope on a house gun seems like less than an ideal set up.

I don't plan to leave the scope on it while being a house gun,i'm getting a weaver saddle mount to take on and off easily.

PackRat
02-09-2011, 07:58 AM
I don't plan to leave the scope on it while being a house gun,i'm getting a weaver saddle mount to take on and off easily.

Okaaaaaay but, if you are only shooting less than 50 yards when hunting, why not consider a red dot instead of 4x magnification optics which will work for both situations? Just sayin...........

dave89iroc
02-13-2011, 11:11 AM
ia AOW an option in Mi?
yes, but it needs a $200 tax stamp from the ATF IIRC

DEVIOUS99
02-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Awesomeness

ninjatoth
02-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Awesomeness

That reminds me of ChumLee,I could imagine him looking at my ninjafied shotgun and saying "awesome"