PDA

View Full Version : Inherited pistol that I want to trade in.

spinball
02-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Hey all. This is my first post of many to come. I've been out of the gun game for a while, so I need some guidance. My Dad gave me a Beretta 84FS. I intend on getting my CPL soon and I think the .380 may be a bit "small". I intend on trading the gun in for a larger caliber pistol (nothing picked out yet).

Here's the question(s):
I have the gun, but have not registered it yet. Do I need to register it before I trade it in?
Where's a good place to trade in a gun on the NE side of Detroit (Mt. Clemens area)?

Thanks,
Mike

hopeitsfast
02-08-2011, 02:15 PM
You have to fill out a purchase permit, and have your dad fill it out as the seller,(you as the buyer) and register the gun as your own. You can get the permit from your local PD.

As to 'trade in'....don't!

If you are intent on getting rid of it, sell it to a private individual. A gun shop will not give you what the gun is actually worth because they are trying to make a profit on it.

RPMO6
02-08-2011, 02:18 PM
After you introduce yourself to the forum:
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=154

Sell it here on MGO:
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/announcement.php?f=142

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77330

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142

5alarm435
02-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Is there an introduction requirement to use the MGO forums?

who dat
02-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Is there an introduction requirement to use the MGO forums?Name, address, SSN, bank account number, Credit Card number with the code from the back, parents names and all previous addresses for the last 84 years, $50 sent to me via PayPal or USPS, and the gun must be also sent to me so I can tell is it's a good deal.

Welcome.

5alarm435
02-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Name, address, SSN, bank account number, Credit Card number with the code from the back, parents names and all previous addresses for the last 84 years, $50 sent to me via PayPal or USPS, and the gun must be also sent to me so I can tell is it's a good deal.

Welcome.

It's telling me your PM Inbox is full. Welp, at least I can say I tried.

esq_stu
02-08-2011, 05:20 PM
I have the gun, but have not registered it yet. Do I need to register it before I trade it in?Some will disagree with me on this, but once it was given to you it is yours, registered or not. But If you don't have a Concealed Pistol License and possess a pistol for which you do not have a license, you and the person that gave it to may be in violation of the license to purchase requirement. Both the purchaser and the seller have duties under the licensing law.

Because it is in your possession, you my be taking a chance that you will be caught with it, but I am not aware if a law that says it must be registered to you before you sign as seller. But that is a technicality and it would be better to register it asap.

spinball
02-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Thanks for all the info. To expand on this a bit: I may be inheriting several handguns down the road. Will I need a separate license to purchase for each one? Or is there a way to do them all "in bulk"?

donald150
02-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Thanks for all the info. To expand on this a bit: I may be inheriting several handguns down the road. Will I need a separate license to purchase for each one? Or is there a way to do them all "in bulk"?

You need a separate purchase permit for each one.

Pyzik
02-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Your .380 would make a good little pocket gun. The .380 round has been improves upon in recent years.

I recommend not gettting rid of it. Keep it and buy another or wait untill you inherent the other guns.

I have this thing about gifted guns... not aloud to sell them, can only give them away.

spinball
02-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks again for the advice. Pyzik, thanks for the input on the .380. I keep going back and forth on keeping the gun. The more I read on different calibers, the more confused I get.

mikeb32
02-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Quit Reading and start shooting!!! just sayin

GPintheMitten
02-09-2011, 04:39 PM
I would not trade a gun given to me by my father.... unless he gave me a bushel basket full. Then I might trade or sell one or two. But I would rather have a larger caliber gun in addition to the .380. If you can afford a second gun, buy one of your choosing in larger caliber and use the .380 as back up.

If you can't afford a second gun now, after you get it registered, shoot it and enjoy it. Later tell your Dad you like it so much your thinking about a larger caliber to go with it. Maybe he'll give you another one or sell you one cheap.

Another supporter
02-13-2011, 08:57 PM
I have to ask a question when you say inherited gun does that mean your dad has passed?

If, yes (iirc) when you goto get permit to purchase/register in your name you will need a copy of death certificate. You should have no problem.

If you decide to sell I maybe interested.

Also if above is correct sorry for your loss, If I am wrong, I am glad, go enjoy your time with him. Hell just go talk with him because you can.

TomE
02-14-2011, 07:48 AM
When he's gone , he's gone , all that will be left is the guns and other inanimate objects.

anthonyt
02-14-2011, 07:50 AM
I have this thing about gifted guns... not aloud to sell them, can only give them away.

Yup

anthonyt
02-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Thanks again for the advice. Pyzik, thanks for the input on the .380. I keep going back and forth on keeping the gun. The more I read on different calibers, the more confused I get.

It can get confusing at first, but as you read, and familiarize yourself it will become easy as could be. Oh, and I vote you keep the gun.

langenc
02-18-2011, 01:18 PM
I couldnt tell you how many times I have read "I wish I hadnt traded ....." no matter what the caliber.

Consider it to be like the death of a spouse--dont do any trades for at least a year.

donald150
02-18-2011, 01:46 PM
I have the same opinion as many others in the matter.

I say KEEP all of them.

If he is giving you 30 or more guns I can see selling some of them that you don't need/like.

I wish I had guns handed down to me. I would never sell them.

I have bought and sold MANY pistols but I still have my first one. A Beretta 96, and I don't really ever shoot it but I will not sell it.
I also still have my first rifle, a marlin (model 60 I believe). I never shoot it but won't sell it either.

silverking
02-18-2011, 04:18 PM
I still treasure the Marlin .30-.30 my dad gave me when I was 15 years old. I am now 69 years old and I harvested my first deer with that gun( a nice eight point near Manistee) My dad bought it from a hunter when he (dad) was eighteen. Don't sell the gun your dad gave you. Use it, enjoy it, and pass it on to your son.

azasadny
03-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Just a polite request...

Think hard about getting rid of a gun that your father gave you. When he's gone, you'll cherish the gun BECAUSE he gave it to you, if he gives you others, hold onto them too. My father has given me quite a few and I'm keeping every one and hopefully passing them down to my kids at some point. Remember, you'll never get another chance to own a gun that your father gave you if you get rid of this (or the others). Besides, the .380 is great for concealed carry. Remember you're (hopefully) never going to use the gun, but if you do, you'll be at extremely close range.

I think that inheriting something from a loved one is very special and you really should think about this before you sell/trade it off. I can't tell you how many posts I read that start with "I had a _______ and sold/traded it and wish I wouldn't have".

I believe your father will be proud and happy if you keep the guns he gives you, too! Good luck with your decision!

mikeb32
03-02-2011, 09:19 PM
+10000....I still have my first Stevens .22 Bolt Action Semi-Auto rifle my Mom and Dad gave me for Christmas when I was 13 years old in 1966

azasadny
03-02-2011, 10:35 PM
My father gave my son (his grandson) a nickel plated S&W Model 59 that was probably never fired when my son turned 17. you should have seen how happy my son was and how proud my father was to give it to him. We shoot at the range and afterwards, my son always calls his grandfather and tells him how sweet that S&W is. My father has given me a bunch of pistols and a shotgun and when he's gone, I'll get his rifles and gun safe (I'll need it as mine will be full). I will pass these guns down to my kids and (hopefully) grandkids and other family members, but I will not sell or trade them away.

My elderly friend worked his butt off to get his 2 grandsons WWII M1911A1's with matching mags, cartridge belts, ammo pouches, vintage ammo, etc... and he gave these two their "inheritance" several years ago and he was heartbroken when he found out they both sold them! They could have at least waited until he had passed, but they (and their father) are completely unaware of what this meant to my friend.

Tough times are upon us and many will sell guns, but when it comes to a gun that a family member or loved one has given you, I can't imagine ever selling that, the memories are too important and the gun is a heirloom to pass down to future generations, not just a hunk of metal.

foolsgold80z
03-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Two things.
1) Your father gave you the gun!
2) It's a beautiful Beretta 84!
Keep it!

BuddhaBassman
03-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Two things.
1) Your father gave you the gun!
2) It's a beautiful Beretta 84!
Keep it!

x10, I sold a 22 my father gave me years ago, i still regret it, he found out about it and gave me another and said "dont sell this one" I will have it until the day I die

MrSmithMSU
03-16-2011, 09:00 AM
If you knew you were going to inherit several handguns it might be worth it to spend the time and money to get your CPL just to save yourself the hassle, time, and money of going to the PD to get the purchase permits for all of them. Even if you never carried any of them after you got them.

collector5401
04-07-2011, 06:24 PM
I Got rid of my first shotgun my Father give me and I regret it........

remingtondude58
04-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Do you by chance have a good friend with a lot of handguns? If so, maybe you could trade your 380 for something you feel is more suitable for you, until you can buy what you want, then trade back.

ranttrmike
04-08-2011, 06:21 AM
If you knew you were going to inherit several handguns it might be worth it to spend the time and money to get your CPL just to save yourself the hassle, time, and money of going to the PD to get the purchase permits for all of them. Even if you never carried any of them after you got them.

I'm not a lawyer, but if there was a transfer of the gun because the owner passed, the person taking the gun has to register it in their name regardless of CPL status. This would be even more important if there was a will stating as such, as the will officially transfers ownership. CPL or not, they are not legally registered to the owner.

At $10.00 a pop to do this, I wouldn't hesitate, and didn't when I inherited two handguns from my grandfather. The words "legally registered" are vague, and can lead to felony firearms possession charges if someone really wanted to push it. The other issue is, if it is stolen, how do you report it? The legal owner has to report it...um, but they have passed...

Just my .02.

who dat
04-08-2011, 08:16 AM
I'm not a lawyer, but if there was a transfer of the gun because the owner passed, the person taking the gun has to register it in their name regardless of CPL status. This would be even more important if there was a will stating as such, as the will officially transfers ownership. CPL or not, they are not legally registered to the owner.

At $10.00 a pop to do this, I wouldn't hesitate, and didn't when I inherited two handguns from my grandfather. The words "legally registered" are vague, and can lead to felony firearms possession charges if someone really wanted to push it. The other issue is, if it is stolen, how do you report it? The legal owner has to report it...um, but they have passed...

Just my .02.A will doesn't transfer ownership of a gun in Michigan. A PP or RI60 form does. It also registers the gun. Having a CPL makes it easy to do this without having to go to the local constabulary and deal with their crap.

In this case, the crap seems to be what you referred to as $10 for each gun. Whatever that fee is, is illegal. Your local PD or SO cannot impose a fee unless authorized by law...and it isn't. The only fee could be as notary, which is limited to $10 but you do not have to use their notary, you can go anywhere you want.

ranttrmike
04-09-2011, 06:10 AM
A will doesn't transfer ownership of a gun in Michigan. A PP or RI60 form does. It also registers the gun. Having a CPL makes it easy to do this without having to go to the local constabulary and deal with their crap.

In this case, the crap seems to be what you referred to as $10 for each gun. Whatever that fee is, is illegal. Your local PD or SO cannot impose a fee unless authorized by law...and it isn't. The only fee could be as notary, which is limited to $10 but you do not have to use their notary, you can go anywhere you want.

My point was that if there was a will saying "John Doe get's my pistols", and John Doe doesn't register them, John Doe doesn't have a legally owned pistol in his possession (the owner is dead, so no registration exists). If a CPL is involved, it says the gun must be "legally registered", again, in question is the legal registration to a dead person.

Yes, the $10.00 fee is for notary service here in Midland County. Every notary charges $10.00 around here, so might as well do it there and save the extra trip.