PDA

View Full Version : Steel core ammo.....?

Big_Jimbo
02-11-2011, 08:10 AM
So I just picked up a Norinco SKS from another member earlier this week and got all excited to get it to the range and put some rounds down the tube. I went to the same range I have been going to for about 6 months now to shoot my 9mm and they told me that anything that shoots 7.62 is not allowed on their lanes. :tsk: The guy explained to me that it was because people like to sneek steel core ammo in there and it tears up their backstop. I understand that they definately need to look out for there equipment but could somebody school me to this steel core ammo thing? I Never really looked into it before. I assume it is exactly as it sounds, it shoots a steel core projectile instead of lead, right? I went out the other day and picked up some Wolf Mil Calssic and noticed it was steel cased.... but what about the projectile, I believe the box says "bi-metal".... is that just refering to the copper jacket and a lead core? Could somebody out there drop some knowledge on me about this subject? (and maybe clue me in on a place that will let me put some rounds through my SKS, with the correct ammo of course)

Thanks in advance :ak2:

esq_stu
02-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Several ranges will check ammo with a magnet before allowing it. You're probably talking about Double Action, I am not aware of other ranges that ban a whole caliber.

Lots of ammo has steel in the projectiles, not just 7.62x39. Some have steel jackets. Some have steel in the core along with the lead. Lots of Wolf and other Russian and Chinese ammo has steel. But lots of 5.56x45 (AR15 ammo) has steel as well. And a lot of the Russian and Chinese pistol ammo has steel as well.

I have a ton of Russian and Chinese ammo for my SKS and can't use it for practice. I don't buy it any more. It can sit there 'til SHTF. All copper/lead stuff is priced about 3x higher. :fur3: Also a lot of the rimmed stuff for Mosins (7.62x54R) has steel.

I'm wondering if it's worth reloading, especially the x39.

Big_Jimbo
02-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Yep, thats exactly where I was. What brands are just copper/lead? I'm willing buy a few boxes for now just so I can get out and get some rounds through the new addition. :banghead: Like you said, the rest can just sit in the safe until the SHTF or until the weather breaks and can put some into the dirt pile up north.

Thanks again.

Buzzcat
02-11-2011, 08:51 AM
If you're willing to put up with the cold weather (and a nice car drive from SCS), there are a number of state run outdoor ranges where you can shoot all the steel core you want.

Pontiac Lake Rec. Area is one. The Lapeer Pit is another.

jmanz6
02-11-2011, 08:56 AM
I know of at least one range that only allows you to shoot a rifle if you buy the ammo from them on the spot (except .22). Same thing, trying to avoid steel core and steel jacketed ammo that tears up their bullet traps. For me, I will just go to an outdoor range or find a quiet place in the woods to shoot. Paying store prices for practice ammo is out of hte question for me. I'm way too cheap for that.

Big_Jimbo
02-11-2011, 09:06 AM
the lapeer pit....? my guess is your talkin about the old gravel pit just off Inwood Rd by 29 & mound? I've been ridin n shootin out there since high school.... back before they leveled half of it. If i dont end up on the ice this weekend i might hafta take a cruise out there.

jmanz6
02-11-2011, 10:01 AM
the lapeer pit....? my guess is your talkin about the old gravel pit just off Inwood Rd by 29 & mound? I've been ridin n shootin out there since high school.... back before they leveled half of it. If i dont end up on the ice this weekend i might hafta take a cruise out there.

The Lapeer pit is located North of Lapeer near the Lapeer Dragstrip.

_DK_
02-14-2011, 07:07 AM
So I just picked up a Norinco SKS from another member earlier this week and got all excited to get it to the range and put some rounds down the tube. I went to the same range I have been going to for about 6 months now to shoot my 9mm and they told me that anything that shoots 7.62 is not allowed on their lanes. :tsk: The guy explained to me that it was because people like to sneek steel core ammo in there and it tears up their backstop. I understand that they definately need to look out for there equipment but could somebody school me to this steel core ammo thing? I Never really looked into it before. I assume it is exactly as it sounds, it shoots a steel core projectile instead of lead, right? I went out the other day and picked up some Wolf Mil Calssic and noticed it was steel cased.... but what about the projectile, I believe the box says "bi-metal".... is that just refering to the copper jacket and a lead core? Could somebody out there drop some knowledge on me about this subject? (and maybe clue me in on a place that will let me put some rounds through my SKS, with the correct ammo of course)

Thanks in advance :ak2:

Indoors? I would assume when CQT opens up they'll allow you to shoot it there, assuming you shoot something like federal american eagle or Winchester brass cased FMJ, and not bi-metal jacketed. If a magnet sticks to a rifle bullet I doubt anyone's going to let you shoot it indoors.

I shot my SKS @ Wolverine in Brownstown. Back before my 10yr old got her hunters safety them and Advanced in Burton where the only places she could shoot my .22 pistol. Now I can take her down the street to Peters ans she can shoot my Smith 22a and "her" marlin 795.

You're probably talking about Double Action, they don't let anyone shoot com-block weapons in there and I doubt it's just because its 7.62x39, We shoot my brothers FAL clone (.308 which is a more powerful 7.62 round is it not?) in there often without issue, another thing is they wont let minors shoot pistols either and under 12 are restricted to rimfire per their insurance rules.

DEVIOUS99
02-14-2011, 11:05 PM
That's awesome, never knew. have to look for them myself.

azasadny
03-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Steel cases are really hard on the action/breech of your weapon and the steel core bullets are hard on the barrel (and the back stop). If the price of quality ammo is too high for you, start reloading your own, that;s what I do to keeop costs down...

pgaplayerless
03-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Steel cases are really hard on the action/breech of your weapon and the steel core bullets are hard on the barrel (and the back stop). If the price of quality ammo is too high for you, start reloading your own, that;s what I do to keeop costs down...

:bs:

Joeywhat
03-02-2011, 09:18 PM
How on gods green earth is steel CORE ammo bad for the barrel??? A lot of it is copper jacketed.............

And let's not forget that steel cases and jackets don't cause anymore wear on parts to begin with...

azasadny
03-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Nice...

azasadny
03-02-2011, 09:34 PM
My take on this.. I'm not an expert by any means, but the case expands in the chamber during the gas expansion and the steel expands and as it does so, exerts pressure on the breech. Brass is softer and more ductile and doesn't produce the same kind of stress on the breech. The ballistics experts that I have read have produced evidence that the steel core bullets cause more stress on the barrel than the traditional copper plated lead cores and I do not have the scientific explanation at hand right now.

I believe steel is used because it's cheaper than lead, not because it's better. I could be wrong, but I would liked to be proven wrong and not just have a funny cartoon caption without any explanation. I'm a reasonable person and can (and do) admit when I'm wrong.

pgaplayerless
03-02-2011, 09:47 PM
My take on this.. I'm not an expert by any means, but the case expands in the chamber during the gas expansion and the steel expands and as it does so, exerts pressure on the breech. Brass is softer and more ductile and doesn't produce the same kind of stress on the breech. The ballistics experts that I have read have produced evidence that the steel core bullets cause more stress on the barrel than the traditional copper plated lead cores and I do not have the scientific explanation at hand right now.

I believe steel is used because it's cheaper than lead, not because it's better. I could be wrong, but I would liked to be proven wrong and not just have a funny cartoon caption without any explanation. I'm a reasonable person and can (and do) admit when I'm wrong.

There is your problem.

Steel can be just as soft at brass or copper.

Steel is only substituted for lead if penetration thru hard objects is desired.

azasadny
03-02-2011, 10:04 PM
If the steel can be "as soft as brass or copper", then why when I tried to resize the steel cases in my resizing dies, I couldn't do it? The cases were so hard that my resizing die wouldn't budge, even using more lube than I normally use when resizing brass cases. I tried some steel cased .223Rem in my Colt AR-15 and experienced significant problems ejecting the spent cases and I switched back to brass and never had the problem again. Maybe the Russian steel is softer? I know that steel can be made to different specs by the addition of alloys and heat treating, etc... but the steel cases I have seen and used were too hard for my resizing die and for a reloader, that's an important factor. I do full-length resizing, not neck sizing, so that's another factor to consider...

pgaplayerless
03-02-2011, 10:14 PM
If the steel can be "as soft as brass or copper", then why when I tried to resize the steel cases in my resizing dies, I couldn't do it? The cases were so hard that my resizing die wouldn't budge, even using more lube than I normally use when resizing brass cases. I tried some steel cased .223Rem in my Colt AR-15 and experienced significant problems ejecting the spent cases and I switched back to brass and never had the problem again. Maybe the Russian steel is softer? I know that steel can be made to different specs by the addition of alloys and heat treating, etc... but the steel cases I have seen and used were too hard for my resizing die and for a reloader, that's an important factor. I do full-length resizing, not neck sizing, so that's another factor to consider...

You need to use carbide resizing dies or use plenty of lube on your normal dies. Steel cases have thicker walls and thus take more force.

Steel case ammo was not designed to be reloaded, tho it's possible.

Steel case .223 is underpowered and can cause ejecting issue in some ARs. None of mine have problems with it.

azasadny
03-02-2011, 10:21 PM
That makes sense and my experience confirms what you said... Here's one of the articles I was referring to...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm