PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Gun Storage............

rodolo
02-11-2011, 08:02 PM
I have a Jeep with a lockable box bolted to the body under a seat. (BTW I have a CPL)

I have a few situations that haunt me.

1) She's got the keys now does this keep me legal?
When go to a bar I lockup the pistol inside the lock box. If I have to many and my wife drives with it locked up.

2) What do I expect to happen in the scenario?
If she get's pulled over(I'm the passenger), they run the plate see my lean. I'm not driving and the pistol is non-accessible to me. I do notify them I have a CPL but not carrying it because it's locked up with out access to me.

3) What are my grounds for this?
I came out of a store after 20 minutes. My wife removed my locked pistol and held it under coat on her lap. She felt uneasy about van with 3 guys looking at her and my Jeep.

Me thinks she needs a CPL and her own gun!:uzi:

Jerbear1098
02-11-2011, 08:14 PM
I have a Jeep with a lockable box bolted to the body under a seat. (BTW I have a CPL)

When go to a bar I lockup the pistol inside the lock box. If I have to many and my wife drives with it locked up.

If she get's pulled over(I'm the passenger), they run the plate see my lean. I'm not driving and the pistol is non-accessible to me. I do notify them I have a CPL but not carrying it because it's locked up with out access to me.

I came out of a store after 20 minutes. My wife removed my locked pistol and held it under coat on her lap. She felt uneasy about van with 3 guys looking at her and my Jeep.

Answer to 1,2,& 3...

Me thinks she needs a CPL and her own gun .... YEP :getsum2:

jeepinrrt
02-11-2011, 08:14 PM
What kind of jeep are we talking here? TJ XJ JK ??

I have both the under seat lock box and an instatrunk in my TJ. If I go out and have a pint, I simply unload, place the gun, mag and +1 in the lock box, and lock it all in my instatrunk.

If your wife has the ability to open the box with you not there, and she does, she needs a CPL.

XDM 40 cal
02-11-2011, 08:15 PM

Yes, as not getting a DUI.. But the firearm is in locked box, but is still accessible to you, and if you know about drinking and have a Firearm near you.. Best Bet would to LEAVE it home..

If you don't have it then NO.. If by chance that you have it ...Parts are pieces.. Field strip it..

Felony.. She need to have her CPL..

Pepper spray is OK.

Yes she should...
8)

rodolo
02-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I have a TJ

Yes she does want a CPL in time

Buzzcat
02-11-2011, 08:32 PM
1. If you're planning to get lit up at the bar, then transporting a gun while doing so is only going to get you a world of hurt in a traffic stop.

2. See #1. If you're in the bag, then you're going to get some major extra scrutiny... they will hunt for a reason to bust you for something/anything, and it'll be up to you to spend the money on a lawyer to (maybe) get you out of the jam.

3. Better judged by 12 than carried by six, etc.

tdbrown1969
02-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Spend the extra cash and get your wife a gun and a CPL.It will be far cheaper to do that than pay any legal fees if either of you is busted in one of the above scenarios.td

gijoecam
02-22-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm not a police officer, not an attorney, don't play one on TV, and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night....

But, I *think* you could have issues should you be stopped in the afore-mentioned circumstances. The gun is presumably loaded in that situation, therefore it's considered a concealed weapon in the vehicle whether or not it's accessible because it's NOT unloaded, stored in a locked case or compartment, separate from the ammunition.

One of the two of you needs to be 'responsible' for the weapon if it's concealed. Being that you are inhebriated and she doesn't have the CPL, who is it? That's the issue I forsee...

So, if we assume it's considered a concealed weapon in those circumstances, who's got the permit? Yes, you do. However, you're not sober enough to 'carry' concealed, and your wife does not have a CPL, so whose gun is it? If I'm the officer making the stop, and neither one of you wants to admit to breaking the law, I'm simply going to arrest both of you, haul you down to the station, and let the prosecutor sort out the details later. It gets messy either way.

Soultion to eliminate any problems? Get the wife her CPL and then it doesn't matter if it's 'your' gun or 'her' gun... If either one of you is sober, you're fine. In the mean time, when she's driving, unload it, store the ammo separate from the pistol itself (but handy in case the situation you described arises) and then should you be stopped, it's obvious you're complying with the law by having the gun in 'transport mode.' (i.e. locked case, unloaded, separate from the ammunition) Last I heard, transporting a gun wasn't illegal, sober or not.

arcticwarrior
02-25-2011, 03:46 PM
What kind of jeep are we talking here? TJ XJ JK ??

I have both the under seat lock box and an instatrunk in my TJ. If I go out and have a pint, I simply unload, place the gun, mag and +1 in the lock box, and lock it all in my instatrunk.

If your wife has the ability to open the box with you not there, and she does, she needs a CPL.

Well said. I used to do the same. My wife is going through the process of getting her CPL now.

RossGellar
09-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Definitely get the CPL!

TAC
09-05-2011, 03:44 PM

If it's unloaded, and the box is locked, you and your wife are legal.

Perfectly legal.

This would be illegal.

That would solve all your concerns.

rodolo
09-07-2011, 09:52 PM
FYI.

My wife is soon to be legal, with a CPL. She's learning with on her own Bersa380.

thanks for the posts everyone:stooges: