PDA

View Full Version : New to guns and want to get a semi-auto**Recomendations**

WhiteKnight
02-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Im looking for some ideas to a semi-auto pistol. Im thinking .40 or .45 Not full sized to make carrying easier and I dont really want a poly gun(just personal preferance) Im thinking maybe something DA so that eliminates 1911s right? So I dont have to carry with one in the hole? what do you guys recommend? Price isnt really an issue I dont think this is something I want to cheap out on...

anthonyt
02-12-2011, 04:25 AM
Im looking for some ideas to a semi-auto pistol. Im thinking .40 or .45 Not full sized to make carrying easier and I dont really want a poly gun(just personal preferance) Im thinking maybe something DA so that eliminates 1911s right? So I dont have to carry with one in the hole? what do you guys recommend? Price isnt really an issue I dont think this is something I want to cheap out on...

With an emphasis on quality over cost, I would ABSOLUTELY recommend a Sig Sauer P229 in .40 s&w, or a P220-Carry (P220's only come in .45ACP) The 229 is a double stack so the grip is a bit thick if you have smaller hands, and the P220 is a single stack.

Both of these models are metal frame guns.

I carry a P229, and would bet your life on it working when you need it most.

Both of these models have many options in action and finish. I'd suggest taking a look at www.sigarms.com (http://www.sigarms.com)

SirenHype
02-12-2011, 10:12 AM
I see u have a preference for non-polymer guns, but that eliminates a large part of the market. Just the frames are plastic and alot of the top manufactures use them. From the description u gave a glock 21sf or 23 and the springfield XDM or the smith and wesson M&P fit it exactly. All are DA only guns with smooth consistent trigger pulls. All three come in 40 or 45 and Out of the three the springfield also has the grip safety as extra option. Personally ive never heard of a gun going bang unless the trigger was pulled. Even when dropped all of the newer guns shouldnt go bang. Dont forget not to cheap out on ammo either. Personally I would recommend CorBon DPX in either caliber and Ive heard/read good things about black hills ammo. Winchester and American eagle are good practice ammos. Good luck and have fun dont forget to let us know how it goes.
:pistols:

Chorkie
02-12-2011, 10:21 AM

What exactly are you asking here?
Are you thinking that DA means it will load the gun on a trigger pull? If so, you need to do a little more reading.
Any of the top manufacturers will have a polymer framed pistol that is worth buying so please don't rule them out as a group. If possible go to a local range that rents and try several types.

TylerPearce
02-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Also, para makes a 1911 style pistol that is a "light double action". They have a very light and smooth double action trigger pull. I shot one a weekend or two ago and liked it, just not as much as a "real" 1911!

WhiteKnight
02-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Ya i agree I still have a lot of learning to do im still very new to this, definetly don't understand all the differences between the types of guns. Ok lets open recomendations to poly guns aswell because I dont want to short myself on a gun that I may really like. Off to do more research...

anthonyt
02-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Ya i agree I still have a lot of learning to do im still very new to this, definetly don't understand all the differences between the types of guns. Ok lets open recomendations to poly guns aswell because I dont want to short myself on a gun that I may really like. Off to do more research...

In that case look at the SigPro series.

jmanz6
02-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Go to a range that rents guns. Rent any that you think you might like and a few you don't think you will like. Try them out. Yes, renting is expensive but it will keep you from buying a gun you don't like. I rented enough to buy a gun before I bought my current carry gun. It was worth it because I may have bought one I didn't like and had to take a hit when I sold it, plus buy another gun. I tried at least 10-12 different guns before I bought one. When I shot my current carry gun, I knew it was the one for me right away. I've been very happy with my decision and in the prcess I have ideas for what my next pistol purchase will be (second, third, fourth favorite, etc.)

just another truck
02-12-2011, 07:06 PM
And before you rent, grab every gun behind the counter until you find one that feels good in the hand, then rent it..

Otherwise, what everyone else here has already said..

agroomes1
02-12-2011, 11:49 PM
All good things. If you buy a gun from a reputable manufacture you will be good. Go handle and shoot some to figure out which one works for you, and the shoot it as much as possible, run it as hard as you can. spend as much time as you can practicing with that gun, you may need it to save your life.

Imo Carrying without a round in the chamber is somewhat foolish. Do you really think that in a high stress situatiation you will be able to effectivly chamber a round, and engage a threat. The fewer steps the better.

I would also recommend a gun without a safety. Or if you do choose one with a manual safety, practice drawing from your carry holster and clicking the safety off and dry fire(no ammo nearby). A safety is not a substitute for safe firearms handling. The only safety you need is the one between your ears.

My .2cents

P.S. Buy a Glock

donald150
02-13-2011, 12:02 AM

"So I dont have to carry with one in the hole?" Stop what your doing and get some training.

"what do you guys recommend?" Stop what your doing and get some training.

Then buy a Glock :slap:

WhiteKnight
02-13-2011, 01:01 AM
Ok I'll bite... What makes a glock so great?

Fuel Fire Desire
02-13-2011, 02:33 AM

Its a glock.

[/thread]

In reality, they were very innovative when they came out in the 80's. So much so, that they have had very few changes in design since then (mostly cosmetic/ ergonomic). 1911 aside, it is also one of the most copied designs out there. It has very few parts, along with loose tolerances, when combined they result in exceptional reliability when dirty, dry, or otherwise neglected.

FYI....I dont own a glock and am not a fan, but they are fantastic tools.

jmanz6
02-13-2011, 08:07 AM

It's the Kool-Aide they all drink that comes from Glock...

Glocks are nice guns but they don't fit everyone. I don't like the way they fit my hand. It wasn't a natural fit to me and felt strange. Could I have trained enough and been able to overcome it? Sure, but why when I can just find another gun that fits me better. Glocks are easy guns to use, clean, and live with. They have proven themselves for years as dependable, and they are used widely by law enforcement. However, if Glocks were the perfect gun for everyone, then you wouldn't see anything but Glocks on the shelves. Try lots of guns, maybe a Glock fits you well and you like the feel. Maybe not. Don't dismiss it because it's a polymer frame gun.

mikeb32
02-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Just buy them all. You could always send me all the ones you dislike!!

just another truck
02-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Agreed, Glocks are nice, no doubt, but so are the Sigs, the M&P's, the Kimbers, the Colts, the......it is all up to you, how does it feel in your hand, how do you shoot with it. If you have friends who carry, or own, get with them and try theirs..

As said up top, the Glocks perform real well, but so do the sigs, rugers do real well, and they are not priced as high, just make sure you like the way it fits and shoots.. Then when someone ask, you can push what ever brand you carry..

slav1north
02-13-2011, 11:02 AM
I own 5 hand guns. two .22's , one .357 mag, the ruger lcp .380 for easy carry and my latest a glock 27 .40 cal. for carry . I didn't like the glock the first time I rented it. The next time a little better. I started to warm up to this little polymer powerhouse so I bought it. A thousand rounds later the glock 27 is my favorite shooter. Owning a .22 for training is invaluable . I'm not a gun expert, but after shooting for over 30 years I still love to practice with my .22's. Just my 2 cents but why buy an expensive pretty gun to carry. the finish will get holster ware , the gun is going to get banged up etc. Good hunting .

WhiteKnight
02-13-2011, 12:13 PM
I guess its time to go to the range and try out some guns

mopedman
02-13-2011, 01:32 PM
I would sugest that before you go rent a gun, you take a basic pistol class like the NRA First steps pistol class or something like that.

agroomes1
02-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Guns are like anything else in this word. Everyone who owns one has an opinion about them, that theirs is the best. Just like i think chevy's are better than ford.

You have to form your own opinion. I am a die hard Glock fan. That doesnt mean that the M&Ps, XD's, Sigs, ect. arent damn fine pistols. The Glock is what i want in a pistol. It may not be what you want though.

Would you buy a car without taking it for a test drive. The same should apply to pistols, espesially one that you plan on carrying every day. You need something you will be comfortable shooting. Go try a few out, but like mopedman said take a basic pistol class first. Then Train as much as possible.

XDM 40 cal
02-17-2011, 10:10 PM
I guess its time to go to the range and try out some guns

That sounds Good,

I'm not push you on any guns, Find what best for your POU...

Find the one that you can shoot best...

And IF you like to shoot a 1911,or XDm,XD And like to shoot them, Pm me and will go shoot at top gun..

mikeb32
02-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Where are you located?

GET_TO_DA_CHOPPA
02-24-2011, 05:14 AM
how about a Beretta 96SF? All steel, double action, chambered in 40 and a proven weapon by a reputable company