PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Handgun shooting

mopedman
02-16-2011, 11:02 PM
I want to get into some kind of basic starter competitive pistol shooting in the metro Detroit area. What would you guys sugest? I am shooting an H&K P7 9mm. Any sugestions would be welcomed.

fishpinoy27
02-17-2011, 07:18 AM
DSC....check with Jerry here at MGO or try this thread....http://www.d-s-c.org/

jmanz6
02-17-2011, 08:43 AM
DSC has a few IDPA matches as do other clubs in the area during the spring/summer. I am going to shoot my IDPA qualifier at DSC (since it's closest) and then do a few matches during the summer. DSC has a qualifier coming up in March. They also have a beginner IDPA style shoot every Monday night I think. Check their website for details. To do the beginner shoots, you don't have to be a member of IDPA.

nic1010
02-17-2011, 08:48 AM
DSC....check with Jerry here at MGO or try this thread....http://www.d-s-c.org/

I second that! PM Jerry or look at the DSC website for more info. I think fishpinoy is referring to IDPA. There is a match this weekend too, so you may be able to observe and see if it's what you're looking for.

In the spring the DSC will restart their Defensive Pistol class on Wednesday afternoons again. Jerry can also tell you more about that.

Good luck!
nic

wJAKE19
02-17-2011, 09:27 AM
http://www.idpa.com/dps_info.asp

ihgodfather
02-17-2011, 10:44 AM
To participate the the Defensive Pistol class do you have to be a member of DSC?

JimSig
02-17-2011, 10:47 AM
if you want to shoot IDPA with your HK P7.. Plan on buying more magazines..

mikee1973
02-17-2011, 12:46 PM
To participate the the Defensive Pistol class do you have to be a member of DSC?
No but plan on paying the non-member price to shoot. $15-$20

wJAKE19
02-17-2011, 12:57 PM
can only carry 3 in IDPA, 1 in the gun, 2 on the belt. They are 8rd mags if I remember correct, same as 1911 mags... he should be fine

fishpinoy27
02-17-2011, 11:06 PM
I second that! PM Jerry or look at the DSC website for more info. I think fishpinoy is referring to IDPA. There is a match this weekend too, so you may be able to observe and see if it's what you're looking for.

In the spring the DSC will restart their Defensive Pistol class on Wednesday afternoons again. Jerry can also tell you more about that.

Good luck!
nic
Yes, Nic is right , I'm referring to IDPA......what match do they have this week end? saturday or sunday?...can we join?....

wurm
02-18-2011, 12:42 AM
Fishpinoy27, there is a USPSA match this Sunday morning at DSC followed by an IDPA match in the evening hours. Unfortunately both matches are filled already. Space and time is limited in the indoor matches so they require preregistration. The IDPA match is our first indoor match so we keeping the numbers a bit low. Kind of a practice match for us people running it. Definitely send Jerry a message if you are interested in shooting any future indoor matches or any IDPA and defensive pistol practice at the Detroit Sportsmen's Congress.

Mopedman, as has already been mentioned, DSC is one of the closest places to Sterling Heights that has competitive shooting. They host USPSA, IDPA, PPC and steel shoots. Winter means it all moves indoors but it is still there, at least most of it. If you don't mind driving a little further, then your options open up a bit. I just shot USPSA at Top Gun in Taylor this evening. They have more info and the schedule on their website. I believe there is an upcoming intro to IDPA class at Livingston Conservation and Sports Association in March. Lots more I'm missing but it is late and I am very sleepy.

Just let us know what you are interested in and I'm sure someone here can help you out further.

HoldHard
02-18-2011, 08:45 AM
I want to get into some kind of basic starter competitive pistol shooting in the metro Detroit area. What would you guys sugest? I am shooting an H&K P7 9mm. Any sugestions would be welcomed.
We have USPSA practice every Tuesday night starting at 5:00 and running until 8:00 PM. You do not have to be a member but it costs less if you are. We try and work on specific skills (draw, target acquisition, speed, movement) without going through a ton of ammunition so if you have a couple of magazines and a holster, you would be good to go.

When the weather breaks (and the mud dries up) both USPSA and IDPA groups move to the outdoor pistol range and the matches are no longer limited to pre-registration.

If you look at the calendar on the DSC website (www.d-s-c.org (http://www.d-s-c.org/coming%20events/calendar.pdf)) the IPSC group is noted as MCSS for Motor City Speed Shooters. IDPA is labeled as IDPA.... Yeah, I know, unique concept :) The abbreviation "BR" designates Basement Range.

If you have some time this weekend, stop by and check out the range and the match setup. We will be in the basement of the building labeled "Range Building" at the south end of the property just off Dequindre. The building also coordinates the trap and skeet fields so when you walk in, there may be a few shotguns leaning up against the racks.

Bring ear and eye protection and you will be able to check out the match setup for both USPSA and IDPA. I'm sure someone will wander over and ask if you have any questions.

I'll be shooting in the 11:00 AM squad.

HH

mopedman
02-18-2011, 12:09 PM

I own 8 mags for the gun..... I think I will be fine.

What is the best way to get into IDPA? Should I just join the group and then start signing up for events? What is the qualifier for?

wJAKE19
02-19-2011, 09:17 AM
just show up to a local club match and shoot. let them know you are new, they will put you in a good group of people that will be helpful. IDPA shooters are very helpful adn friendly.
good luck, let us know how you do.

HoldHard
02-22-2011, 09:26 AM
I own 8 mags for the gun..... I think I will be fine. Yep... Good to go for either IDPA or USPSA.

What is the best way to get into IDPA? Talk to someone at practice. Have them look over your gear and how you wear it. IDPA will require a "cover garment" like a vest or something that covers the holstered weapon. Then practice a bit with them on the range.
Should I just join the group and then start signing up for events? If I were you, since there is a small investment in certain equipment over and above what you currently own, a "test drive" of IDPA and USPSA shooting would be the best way to decide what you want to do. It's like buying a car. You find out more from getting behind the wheel than reading the reviews.

For IDPA, as I mentioned, all you need is a cover garment. An untucked shirt that covers the holster would suffice as a cover garment. For USPSA you might need a better belt to support the magazine carriers. If you have 8 mags, you could use 4 or 5 on one stage, depending on their capacity. In this past weekend's match, the field course required 32 rounds. Some people with 8 round capacity magazines reloaded 4 times due to the stage design and how many targets could be engaged from specific positions.
What is the qualifier for?In both IDPA and USPSA it allows you to compete against other shooters that have the same abilities and similar equipment. Based on what scores you shot for the qualifier stages, you get a "classification". Your scores in future competitions are compared against others in that same classification.

Hope that helps.

HH