PDA

View Full Version : Hello..? (hello...ellloo...ellllooo...elllllooo....)

April79
08-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Yep! Sure seems like a ghost town in this room to me!

Just thought I'd say hi from Shiawassee County. Anybody else around? If ya are.. I'm sorry. I was recently transplanted and still have that lovely Southern accent. I just can't talk any other way. Ain't IS a word and y'all is the corrected form of a plural pronown. "You(s) guys" is simply unacceptable.. must y'all talk like yankees? And please remember that iced tea is supposed to be sweet and the rarely seen okra was destined by God to be rolled lightly in cornmeal and fried until golden brown.

You can take the girl out the south.. but you can never take the south out of the girl. :D

enfield
08-28-2005, 01:44 PM
Welcome! If you can make good fried okry, bring some to the next annual meeting/picnic!

Divermaster
08-28-2005, 01:50 PM
Welcome to the board.

Dale
08-28-2005, 02:01 PM
fried okra, my iced tea only has lemon in it, but Hey Yall?

Knimrod
08-28-2005, 02:01 PM
Welcome aboard!

Autumnlovr
08-28-2005, 03:20 PM
Welcome to the boards April. I'd love to try some southern fried okra, the only okra I've had was thrown in a Cajun dish (jambalaya?) and it was kinda slimy. You bring the okra & I'll bring the venison chili. To all the guys/gals who have sampled my chili....the last batch was venison/bear. It was REAL tasty (note...I said "WAS").

ZIPGRAVER
08-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Welcome April and I'll eat anything anybody brings :P

Barbara
08-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Welcome!

Fiddler
08-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Welcome, April. I love sweet tea, and that Okra does sound good. Do you make your corn bread the traditional southern style as well?

April79
08-28-2005, 06:05 PM
You mean out of the box? :wink:

I usually use hot water instead of buttermilk; just don't see the point in buyin' that much buttermilk since I can't stand the stuff usually. I used to make it in an iron skillet my grandmother gave me. Unfortunately, that skillet didn't survive the move. It didn't have any special significance or anything... so I guess I'll have to use that as an excuse to go shopping at Gander Mtn. Breaks my heart, ya know? Although for me, any excuse works to get me in to Gander Mtn (or better yet, Cabela's).

I'd be more than happy to make okra... as soon as y'all can tell me where on earth you've hidden it up here! I went to the Saginaw County fair and saw 4 pods. 4!! That ain't even a whole serving.

Fiddler
08-28-2005, 06:11 PM
I've been learning to cook in cast iron this summer, so naturally I decided to make cornbread. I read that "traditional" southern cornbread is made in a cast iron skillet with white cornmeal and no sugar. I bought buttermilk to put in the recipe, but I'm with you. I can't stand it, otherwise. I made it traditional southern style in a cast iron skillet, and it did turn out good. (This from a girl who thought cornbread was made with Jiffy mix) :wink: Of course, since the Jiffy factory is just up the road in Chelsey, that's easy to understand.

Any excuse to go to Gander Mountain, or better yet, Cabela's is a good excuse for me. It sounds like maybe it's time for a group trip!

Barbara
08-28-2005, 06:30 PM
So, um..how do you feel about doves? :)

We can always use people to work at Cabelas doing the dove thing. Next time is next Sunday. It's a good way to get to know people, too!

April79
08-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Ain't nothin' wrong with Juffy mix! Not so much how you make it as what you do with it.

I usually just use plain ol' yeller Martha White cornmeal. And yes... I use sugar. Then I slather it up with butter. MMmmm!

Dundee counts as a "day trip" from here.

Fiddler
08-28-2005, 06:35 PM
A day trip to Cabela's works for me!

Ken P
08-28-2005, 07:14 PM
damn..I stumbled onto the cooking network site apparently... LOL

BTW April...if someone asks you for a "pop", they mean soda pop...they don't want to be smacked upside the head with yer skillet...

Fiddler
08-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Sorry, Barbara. Somehow I missed your post. I might be able to help out at Cabela's, although as we have discussed previously, working a booth is not my strong suit. I do support the cause, though. I'll be in touch.

Sorry, Ken. I guess I got a little carried away. Anyhow, welcome to the boards, April.

jr-vass
08-28-2005, 08:38 PM
SNIP... an iron skillet my grandmother gave me. Unfortunately, that skillet didn't survive the move. SNIP

:shock:

{trembling} Welcome ma'am. {/trembling}

James

Roger Roney
08-29-2005, 03:23 AM
Welcome, April79,

That isn't your name and age, is it? (He asks as he ducks for cover, glad she doesn't have the cast iron skillet. :D )

Don't think I've ever had Okra. I'm usually good for a taste of anything once, except Chitlins! Hehe, a "sheltered" Italian co-worker was given a taste of 'em a few years ago by a Black co-worker. His reaction, and "Spit Take" was hilarious! THEN he found out where Chitlins come from. Priceless!

And another friend enjoyed his "Mountain Oysters," until he found out where they come from. After the inital reaction, he does say he would have them again.

If we were closer, I'd say use the buttermilk, and the wife and I woult take the rest. Still like it, although today's product isn't as thick and rich as when I was a kid. Still remember my grandmother's great corn bread, with buttermilk, and she was Canadian. Now I'll have to ask my mother if she has the recipe.

Transplant TO??? Michigan? Yay, we gained one or more employed residents! What industry or company is moving jobs to Michigan? (More of poke at MI's economy and jobless rate than a question, as other threads and news reports talk about jobs going South or overseas. No answer expected, unless you are OK with giving more details.)

Glad to have you aboard.

Roger

fbuckner
08-29-2005, 08:01 AM
welcome aboard Im down the road a pace from you. South of cohoctah north of howell "Have Gun we can shoot"

appliancebrad
08-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Hey April,

I love okra in all it's wonderful forms (fried, pickled and in gumbo). We grow our own 'cause ya can't get it in the store here. Grew up in Arizona so I like my sun tea with sugar but not that darn 'sweet" tea stuff. Corn bread in a skillet or a pan is fine with me. I usually use the recipe on the Quaker corn meal box and add a little sugar. Gotta have LOTS of butter and day old corn bread with maple syrup poured over the top is not bad either.

Welcome to the boards.

bluethunder
08-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Welcome, April79. Glad to have you on board. Hope you make the next meeting :D Southern food is EXCELLENT. But I agree with Zipgraver :wink: I'll bet you make 'real' dumplings for chicken & dumplings? Geez, after reading this, it's a good thing it's almost lunch time! Mmmm, maybe some peanutbutter w/ syrup and banana sandwiches. 8)

fbuckner
08-29-2005, 01:11 PM
This thread is like reading a script from a cooking show. I say since we have a taste for southern cookin we all head over to April79's place this weekend introduce ourselve and have a picnic.
:)
All this talk is making me hungry