PDA

View Full Version : Need some help.

Badmunky
02-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Hello.

I live in south east MI near Dundee.
I moved in with a family member a few years back do to my job, (Over Road Truck Driver) and talked with them about me getting a gun. They said they did not like the idea but that it was ok as long as I locked it up when I was not home and it was never loaded in the house. Not a problem. I got it to target shoot with not to carry or to use for home d*****se.

AFTER I bout it they decided that they did not want it in the house.:hot:
AFTER I bout a safe, installed it in a wall, and had already been to the range and put 500 rounds threw the gun.

So for now its locked up at the house but I have been told to find a new place to keep it. This is a problem. I can not find any place to put it.

I don't want sell it as I just bout it and will take a big hit on it.
I would just move out but I moved in with them do to my job. I'm not home much and I had problems with people braking in to my house and stealing my stuff. As well as making a payment on something I never see. I go home 3-4 days a month most months.
So buying or renting a place is just....... well stupid. And right now I have no one ells I can live with ether.

Any one here have any suggestions on where I could keep the gun when I'm not home?

Places I have tried so far:
1: Bank safety deposit box.
2: Storage unit. <------"No firearms" is in there contract.
3: Local Gun shop.
4: Local Sports mans club.
5: Don't have any one less then a 3 hour drive away I would trust.

Thanks for the help.

Tallbear
02-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Get a CPL and take it with you on the road.

CallmeDave
02-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Get a CPL and take it with you on the road.

I agree.

msbcomputer
02-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Most trucking companies have a "no gun" policy.

Badmunky
02-17-2011, 08:53 PM
I can not take it with me. I looked in to that as well.
Problem is that I go into military bases a lot. And they will not let you in with it and will not let you check your weapon at many of them.

And on top of that I'm not sure it is legal to carry it on the truck in all 48 continental states. I know its not legal in CA as it is not on there stupid list of pistols they allow. So that keeps me out of CA right off the bat.

Its just not worth the hassle to try and learn all the laws and carry copy's of them (Many cops don't even know the law) so I don't go to jail. And even then I can't find the laws for every town/ city I go threw to make sure there is nothing there that will get me thrown in jail.

Trust me I looked in to this and its a no go. Just to many B.S laws and such out there that I can not be sure I can have it legally.

Until the Federal Government gives out a CPL that state and local laws don't over ride I'm not willing to carry it on the truck.

I work for my self so there is no company to tell me I cant have it. But I have heard to many stories of drivers going to jail that have a CCW /CPL over a local or state law when they are not in the state the live in for me to carry on the truck.

Any other options you guys can come up with?

XDM 40 cal
02-17-2011, 10:00 PM
I can not take it with me. I looked in to that as well.
Problem is that I go into military bases a lot. And they will not let you in with it and will not let you check your weapon at many of them.

And on top of that I'm not sure it is legal to carry it on the truck in all 48 continental states. I know its not legal in CA as it is not on there stupid list of pistols they allow. So that keeps me out of CA right off the bat.

Its just not worth the hassle to try and learn all the laws and carry copy's of them (Many cops don't even know the law) so I don't go to jail. And even then I can't find the laws for every town/ city I go threw to make sure there is nothing there that will get me thrown in jail.

Trust me I looked in to this and its a no go. Just to many B.S laws and such out there that I can not be sure I can have it legally.

Until the Federal Government gives out a CPL that state and local laws don't over ride I'm not willing to carry it on the truck.

I work for my self so there is no company to tell me I cant have it. But I have heard to many stories of drivers going to jail that have a CCW /CPL over a local or state law when they are not in the state the live in for me to carry on the truck.

Any other options you guys can come up with?

If your a over the road trucker, you can have in the sleeper area IE it's your home...Laws Gov. the berth area... also if you install a safe in the truck you should be fine..Might want to check out www.handgunlaws.us (http://www.handgunlaws.us)
Yes, you can OC..(still best getting CPL)

Well for those trucker that went to jail it there fault for not looking up local laws.. Also when you are going on to military base's stop at the local FFL/gun shop and ask if they would hold it?!?!

http://www.askthetrucker.com/cdl-federal-gun-law/

Did fine this...Other than avoiding CA,Ill,WI, NY,NJ to name a few...IMHO i would install a safe and lock it up..Other than that, good luck...:thumbup:

Mike in Michigan
02-18-2011, 05:01 PM
I know of at least one semi truck that has a "safe" installed that looks like a big 12 volt battery. Air reservoirs that mount on the truck frame can also be "modified" into a discreet "tool box".

usmcpaul
02-18-2011, 06:22 PM
I would put it in a storage unit (yes, even though they say "no firearms")

I don't see how they would ever know?

But the cost would be too high I guess. It would be cheaper to just rent a gun when you want to shoot.

Or call around, and you might be able to find a friendly FFL that would store it for you for a reasonable fee. I think that would be legal?

mjerickson
02-18-2011, 07:44 PM
This is just a thought and on the fly at that, but what about in a locked box then into a storage locker some palace. My first thought is a bus or train station but personally I would not like that. Check out some local gyms or even a local member here that could "quote" rent you some space to store your firearm. If there is a rental agreement and paper work Im guessing its legal. Again Im just spitballing here but maybe more versed in the legalaties could help out.

phatjbikerdude
02-19-2011, 12:38 AM
This is just a thought and on the fly at that, but what about in a locked box then into a storage locker some palace. My first thought is a bus or train station but personally I would not like that. Check out some local gyms or even a local member here that could "quote" rent you some space to store your firearm. If there is a rental agreement and paper work Im guessing its legal. Again Im just spitballing here but maybe more versed in the legalaties could help out.

that was my thought... storage locker... cary in a back pack, put it in the locker, take key..... no one would be the wiser

Mike in Michigan
02-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Badmunky,
If you cannot find another way, and you do not mind driving to Hartland, near US23 and M59, I can store it while you are on the road. I'm an FFL, have a CPL, so there will be no legal issues. We can write a work order for appearances and log it into my Gunsmith Repair Log as if it is in the shop for maintenance. Call me if you want to discuss further.
Mike Ryan - Gunsmith
810 348 4112

XDM 40 cal
02-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Mike has a great idea...

that sound like a win,win to me..

Badmunky
02-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Badmunky,
If you cannot find another way, and you do not mind driving to Hartland, near US23 and M59, I can store it while you are on the road. I'm an FFL, have a CPL, so there will be no legal issues. We can write a work order for appearances and log it into my Gunsmith Repair Log as if it is in the shop for maintenance. Call me if you want to discuss further.
Mike Ryan - Gunsmith
810 348 4112

I may give you call when I get home again.

For every one that has suggested taking it on my truck its just not an option.
Legal or not most of my customers will not allow fire arms on there property. I know you guys will just say "don't tell them they will never know" but the fact is we DO get SEARCHED from time to time for high dollar loads and many government loads. IF a gun was every found in my truck I would lose my contract for that customer right then and there. That could cost me as much as 7k for just that 1 run. And I would not get any more from them in the future. That could cost me a lot of money.

And there the loads that pay the best. Until the laws change to where they can not tell me I cant have it, I'm just not willing to risk it.

I'm not willing to sell it ether.

Thanks for help on this.
Still open to any suggestions till I have a solution 100%.

Mike in Michigan
02-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Badmunky,
You do not have to drive up here. It is legal to ship a firearm to an FFL for repairs. Send me an email at: mikeryangunsmithing@yahoo.com and I will give you the details for shipping it to me. Factor the cost and your time of driving vs the cost of shipping both ways and see if it makes $en$e to you.
Mike

Badmunky
02-21-2011, 04:35 PM
I will look in to shipping it to you and see how much that will cost me.

Can you ship it back to me thou?

il Padrino
02-21-2011, 09:57 PM
How about a safe deposit box at a bank?

Or may e you can use the trick someone usef once to store a car,
this guy that lived in an appartment needed a olace to store his carvwhile he went out of town for a month, so he goes to a bank and takes out a small loan, turns the car over to the bank as colleteral. Bank then held responsible for the safe keeping of the car till the loan is paid off. The guy comes back from vacation paid back the loan plus a few additional dollars interest.
The cost of storing the car only cost him the few dollars he had to pay on interest, much less than what it would have cost to put it in storage, pretty clever
Maybe take the gun to a reputable gunsmith for "cleaning" and pick it up at your convinience when you want to shoot it, after you are done shoooting it, take it back dirty for "cleaning" again and leave it there till you need it again.
Provided they don't charge a storage fee for not picking it up right away after they have cleaned it, consider the cleaning fee is all it costs you for storage, oh and you'll have a clean gun every time you go pick it up.

jimcald
02-22-2011, 11:52 AM
What about breaking it down and see if they will let you store "part" of the gun at their house. With a semi auto pistol you could leave the frame in the safe and take the slide with you. The slide itself locked in your truck without the frame would not constitute a "weapon" and the frame in the safe would be completely safe seperated from it.

Badmunky
02-22-2011, 12:15 PM
What about breaking it down and see if they will let you store "part" of the gun at their house. With a semi auto pistol you could leave the frame in the safe and take the slide with you. The slide itself locked in your truck without the frame would not constitute a "weapon" and the frame in the safe would be completely safe seperated from it.

I already do this.
I removed the guide rod and spring and took that with me.

The gun is locked in a safe and has both a cable lock and a trigger lock on it. There is also no ammo in the house.

They still want it gone.:(

jimcald
02-22-2011, 01:19 PM
I would think the same theory would apply to a safety deposit box that does not allow firearms, once it is incomplete it is not a firearm, just parts?