PDA

View Full Version : Lapeer Pit Shoot

goldwing2000
08-30-2005, 08:32 AM
Anybody up for one this weekend?

It's a three-day weekend and I (miraculously) find myself with no plans!

My poor AR-50 has been collecting dust for many months, so I think it's time to take it out for some exercise.

Anybody care to join me?

edit: I'm thinking Sunday. That gives me Saturday to do chores and Monday to recover. :D

bluethunder
08-30-2005, 08:44 AM
Lemme check on a couple things. I just hate the thought of the .50 collecting dust. Willful neglect, hmmmmmmmm might need to be placed into a 'foster home' :wink:

goldwing2000
08-30-2005, 09:03 AM
And I suppose you'd be willing to selflessly give up space in your own home and volunteer, right? ;)

bluethunder
08-30-2005, 09:16 AM
Of course, anything for a friend/ fellow firearms enthus, enthuses, collector. 8) But seriously, I'd like to go, schedule permitting. It beats the Hell out of going to Pontiac Lake, that's for sure!! :getsum: :bigun2: :uzi: :biggrin:

Autumnlovr
08-30-2005, 12:53 PM
AARRGGHH...I can't make it, and I keep lovingly dusting off that little blue-tipped beauty sitting above my computer.

goldwing2000
08-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention something...

I'll be bringing some Tannerite (http://www.tannerite.com)and a 20-lb propane cylinder or two.

:biggrin:

gjgalligan
08-30-2005, 06:31 PM

I'll be bringing some Tannerite (http://www.tannerite.com)and a 20-lb propane cylinder or two.

Is that stuff legal in MI? I seem to recall (somewhere, sometime ago) reading that exploding ammo or targets was a no-no in MI.

Anyways I was planning on going up north this weekend but we decided that with the gas such as it is (Price) :cry: the motorhome is gonna stay parked here at home.

Please post directions to the pit and I may make it there.

Dave
08-30-2005, 10:57 PM
I know there will be a few folks from AR15.com out there on Sunday as well. I am going to try and make it out for a bit. Probably have the machine gun, the AK, and a .45 with me.

Be carefull with the tannerite. I have heard that the Sherriffs Dept frowns on it because they end up getting lots of complaints from the local residents when it is being used.

Tannerite, the grin generator. I love that stuff.

goldwing2000
08-31-2005, 07:40 AM
I'll just bring one bottle, I guess. That way the evidence will detroy itself and we can feign ignorance. ;)

I don't have the pit directions here. If anybody does, please post them. Otherwise, I'll try to remember to post them when I get home.

Kouger
08-31-2005, 09:53 AM
so you shoot the little jar of this stuff?

goldwing2000
08-31-2005, 11:21 AM
Yep. Little plastic bottle. I think they have some videos on the web site that you can download.

Kouger
08-31-2005, 11:44 AM
i wasnt sure how thats stuff worked...didnt know if you could "pour" it in a bowling pin ( unsuspecting shooter type thing)

or what..looks cool

goldwing2000
08-31-2005, 11:48 AM
I suppose if you hollowed out a bowling pin you could do it. I'd be afraid of flying splinters and such, though. Especially since most bowling pin shoots are at 25 feet or so. :shock:

Kouger
08-31-2005, 11:52 AM
noooooooo........thinking long shot with a rifle

how far does that stuff fly on impact?

goldwing2000
08-31-2005, 12:16 PM
What stuff? The powder? Doesn't fly very far at all. But if you put it in a contained space with projectiles all around it, I'm sure the damage radius would be substantial.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Dave
08-31-2005, 02:28 PM
I have seen the aftermath of it throwing a fire extinguisher 100 yards back towards the firing line, over the shooters heads, and land on a nice SUV parked in the parking lot.

Fun stuff but can be dangerous when one disengages their thinking cap.

Map can be found here http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=39&t=180138

alex-vitek
08-31-2005, 06:59 PM

Is that stuff legal in MI? I seem to recall (somewhere, sometime ago) reading that exploding ammo or targets was a no-no in MI.
I cannot find any reference that "tannerite" or exploding targets are illegal in Michigan. They still sell the small square targets, the ones about 2" by 2". The price is now about $12 for 8 targets.

The only downside to Tannerite that I can think of is that it needs a rifle shot to set it off; 308s seem to work real well from what i have been told.

goldwing2000
09-01-2005, 07:21 AM
The only downside to Tannerite that I can think of is that it needs a rifle shot to set it off;

You know... I just don't see where that's a downside. :wink:

Jerry
09-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Kane...what time?

goldwing2000
09-01-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm planning to get there around 10:00 or so.

kevco
09-01-2005, 09:30 PM
GPS coordinates of the pit here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=43.12114,-83.27948

jetset9c1
09-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Drop me a line if you are. I was thinking about going anyway on Sunday.

Roger Roney
09-03-2005, 01:07 AM
Drop me a line if you are. I was thinking about going anyway on Sunday.Welcome jetset9c1, since this is the first post I've seen from you. (Or at least paid attention to the name and post count. :D )

One question; Huh??? Kane said Sunday, 10:00, everyone else responded. Who are you asking? I know it's not me, 'cause I don't think I know you. :D

Roger

jetset9c1
09-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Roger,

Thank you. I'm a long time lurker, not to often a poster. Kevco is a friend of mine, and he was the one I was talking to. I'm the one who showed him the pit.

Nice to meet everyone.

George

goldwing2000
09-03-2005, 11:17 PM
All right, folks. This is last call!

I'm bringing:

AR-50 :sniper:
Kel-Tec Sub2000 :mg:
Springfield 1911A1 V16
Glock 17
Glock 26
Browning Buckmark

Hope to see lots of familiar faces!

alex-vitek
09-04-2005, 03:39 PM
The only downside to Tannerite that I can think of is that it needs a rifle shot to set it off;

I like handguns so I do not have much in the way of rifles and the guys out west, and on the west side of the state, recommend a .308 or better.

goldwing2000
09-05-2005, 10:28 AM

I like handguns so I do not have much in the way of rifles and the guys out west, and on the west side of the state, recommend a .308 or better.

Actually, a .223 worked just fine. :biggrin:

goldwing2000
09-05-2005, 10:29 AM
A good time was had by all!!

http://www.geocities.com/kvincen1/Bang_Stuff.html

alex-vitek
09-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Actually, a .223 worked just fine. :biggrin:
Good. I have one of them. I read in a few msgs where the shooter thought that the .223 was marginal so maybe it had something to do with the ammo.

Some users said they would mix up a batch and then break it down into smaller packages by putting some into zip-lock bags.

Jerry
09-05-2005, 07:35 PM
Man o Man!!!!

That 20 pound propane tank was too cool!

First a fireball then the explosion then the darn thing was sitting there spinning like a top! Then the heat wave came......:)

And the tannerite was pretty neat too!

The weather was perfect.........I dont know if the burn on my face is from the sun or the propane tank going up.. :D

Kane ....thanks for bringing the ar50....maybe I will get the courage up to shoot it next time....... :D

JR

goldwing2000
09-05-2005, 09:54 PM
I read in a few msgs where the shooter thought that the .223 was marginal...

Some people think too much. :wink:

One shot, one kill from a seated position with an AR-variant rifle. Experiance (and explosions) don't lie. :lol:

Jerry... whenever you're ready, buddy! Your propane tank is next! :twisted:

Jerry
09-06-2005, 04:28 AM
Kane....when we shoot mine we wont have that cool stand to use like we did for yours...... :D

I or we will have to come up with something cool to use as a stand....maybe with a fire extinguisher right under it to put out the ground fire?!!!!!! 8)

JR

goldwing2000
09-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Ohhh... we'll think of something. There's no telling what kind of garbage will be out there next time. ;)

goldwing2000
09-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Here's a scary-but-interesting thought:

Someone just offered me a 100-lb propane tank.

Ignoring the logistics of getting it there, does anybody think it would be too excessive?

I have to admit that this one scares even me. :shock:

Jerry
09-06-2005, 03:51 PM
How about a fence post used for cyclone fence?

I got a couple of them...we could drive it into the ground a couple of feet ( I have a driver)and hang an arm off it with maybe a chain holding things to shoot?

:D

JR

Jerry
09-06-2005, 03:57 PM
We sure would have to pick the right spot to set off!
Plus some fire extinguishers....heck we almost needed them this time.... :D

Hey I need to ask...did you use a regular round or a incediary round to ignite the 20 pounder?

ANIMAL
09-06-2005, 05:26 PM
In civil war shoots we shot at a tall about 8 foot 1x8 with a 1" strip across it from side to side. we shot as a team when we got close to dropping it on guy would shoot at the top. when that fell we had 4 short (2') stakes with exploding targets on them. we shot for time. when the forth stick went boom that was your time. a real blast.

Dave
09-06-2005, 09:57 PM
I have to admit that this one scares even me.

Man, I was nervous as hell watching you touch off the 20. A few years ago I was at a shoot where they did the same thing only using the little 1 pound lantern bottles. When those bottles blew I watched them fly for about 80 yards.

Call me a killjoy but I actually hid behind my truck when you shot the 20. If you plan on shooting a 100 pounder at anything less than 500 yards, I think I will stay home that day as I don't want to be around if somebody gets killed.

On another note, that 50 of yours looks like one sweet rifle. I used to own a Ferret 50 but sold it when I started my stamp collection. I miss my 50 but prefer F.A..

goldwing2000
09-06-2005, 10:44 PM
We sure would have to pick the right spot to set off!
Plus some fire extinguishers....heck we almost needed them this time.... :D

Hey I need to ask...did you use a regular round or a incediary round to ignite the 20 pounder?

Incendiary. Regular rounds will only vent the gas without igniting it.

goldwing2000
09-06-2005, 10:56 PM
I have to admit that this one scares even me.

Man, I was nervous as hell watching you touch off the 20. A few years ago I was at a shoot where they did the same thing only using the little 1 pound lantern bottles. When those bottles blew I watched them fly for about 80 yards.

Call me a killjoy but I actually hid behind my truck when you shot the 20. If you plan on shooting a 100 pounder at anything less than 500 yards, I think I will stay home that day as I don't want to be around if somebody gets killed.

On another note, that 50 of yours looks like one sweet rifle. I used to own a Ferret 50 but sold it when I started my stamp collection. I miss my 50 but prefer F.A..

I actually shot a small bottle last time I was out, so I wasn't too worried. I would assume that when the other folks shot the lantern bottles, they probably used something a lot smaller. The benefit of using the .50 is that is puts two nice , big, half-inch holes in the bottle, so the gas vents out right now and doesn't have the jet force of coming through a smaller hole.

And speaking of other notes... you didn't introduce yourself!! I don't even know who you were!

Anyway, I was definitely thinking of chaining the 100 to the ground or something. If Jerry has a pile driver, that might be the best bet. Propane doesn't have as much force as, say, an oxygen bottle. So chaining it to the ground should keep it located.
Now I'm just worried about the fireball. The 20-lb produced a ball of flame a good 25 or 30 feet across. If the 100-lb produces five or even three times the fireball, then that would be way too big for that location. It would set everything on fire.

I also have a feeling that the bigger bottle would not vent as fast through the two half-inch holes. It may get an initial fireball about the same size and then sustain it for a longer period.

Does anybody have a private lake that we could set it off in the middle of? :wink:

This is going to take some logistical maneuvering. It's going to be spectacular if we can make it happen, though. :twisted:

Dave
09-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Well, I was the guy on the other end of the line with the machine gun :D

goldwing2000
09-07-2005, 07:27 AM
Ahhhhh... I saw that thing down there. I wish I would have known that was you! I would have come down and begged a few bursts off of you! :D

I haven't fired a (legal) FA in years!

Dave
09-07-2005, 02:07 PM
You wouldn't have had to beg, I am really open to letting folks try my stuff. Maybe I will have my subgun repaired before the next outing so you can have your pick as to which one to shoot first.

goldwing2000
09-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Subguns don't do much for me. I like full-size. :)

Jerry
09-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Hey Kane.....thanks for the nice photo of the two puppies you took with my camera.....my wife is wondering just what the heck is going on tho.........

JR

Meta4
09-13-2005, 09:27 AM
I thought Class III was illegal to own in Michigan, outside of dealers? Set me straight!

-James

goldwing2000
09-13-2005, 09:43 AM
If I'm not mistaken, you can own C&R class III (with all the proper paperwork and bribes... I mean taxes, of course)

alex-vitek
09-15-2005, 06:29 AM
Yes, C&R as Kane mentioned. There is a whole list of permitted guns out there. Stop by the Doug Carl gun shows until you meet up with the one vendor who is into the Class III weapons. He can point you to the right paperwork.

Dave
09-15-2005, 06:54 PM
I swear, full auto ownership in Michigan has to be one of the best kept secrets around.

All you need is a curio & relic collectors license, a pocketfull of shopping money, the patience of a Saint, and a willing Law Enforcement Official to get into a buzz gun.

Use caution though........it is like a disease.

G22
09-16-2005, 09:18 AM
So I hear the neighbors are getting restless. Somenoe on another board wrote that they put notes on the rocks in the pit.

"We the neighbors are going to get this place shut down. You guys are slobs and we don't want to live next to a dump."

So why did you move next to a dump if you don't want to live next to a dump?

Stupid is as stupid does.

Autumnlovr
09-16-2005, 09:25 AM
Well, we know the noise isn't the issue....isn't this just down the street from the dragstrip?

goldwing2000
09-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Geez... it's not like there's tons of household waste creating a stink or drawing flies. It's all just cans, bottles and various appliances, with the occasional bowling ball thrown in for good measure. In fact, there's no way they would even know about the used targets unless they actually went over there to look!

Here's a solution: don't go over there!

Jackasses...

shoprat
09-16-2005, 11:31 AM
Remember the state land use rules introduced earlier this year? The DNR is going to bring it under control one way or another. I am betting by spring there won't be any shooting at the pit.

http://www.mgouc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9215&highlight=state+land

gjgalligan
09-16-2005, 07:20 PM
If you decide to NOT use the 100# tank for sport I could use it for propane use.

goldwing2000
09-17-2005, 11:54 AM
If you decide to NOT use the 100# tank for sport I could use it for propane use.

Send an e-mail to thegallery212@yahoo.com and make him an offer.

Jerry
09-19-2005, 06:15 PM
Hey...I can see why they bitch!

Its not supposed to be a dump....Its a gravel pit! :D