PDA

View Full Version : Estate Sale

DEVIL DOG
02-18-2011, 11:17 AM
My brothers best friend passed away recently, & his wife wants to sell us his guns. How do we go about this?

MichiganShootist
02-18-2011, 11:20 AM
This is just a direct consumer to consumer sale and the only thing that is different is that the widow should probably transfer the guns into her name ... then she can sell them to you.

She would need a death certificate and a copy of her late husband's will or a probate document confirming that the guns are legally hers. Long guns require no such effort.

Tallbear
02-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Long guns are a simple "cash exchange" IF you can legally own a firearm.

Handguns must be purchased through the permit to purchase process; go to police dept., obtain a permit for each handgun, fill in all information, return two portions of form to police. Or if you have a CPL use the RI-60 form in the same manner.

phatjbikerdude
02-20-2011, 05:37 PM
where in michigan are you..... i'm sure us mgo peeps would like a chace at them guns..

turbolag23
02-20-2011, 05:49 PM
on either a purchase permit or RI060 the buyer can just put "the estate of *name*" the guns technically dont have to be transferred to the widows name as she would have to do the same thing.

smac61
02-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Are you purchasing them or are you selling them for the estate? I'm doing the latter right now and its been no problem. Long guns are no issue at all. With the pistols, I get pre filled out / signed RI-60's. Purchase permits have been few, and on those I do the necessary leg work.

If your buying them for yourself, just have her print "estate of John Doe" and sign "POA: Jane Doe" although I believe the law allows for her to simply sign Jane Doe in the seller portion. Again, long guns are not an issue.

Good luck...

DEVIL DOG
02-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks guys, we will have to take an inventory and have some of them appraised. He had a large collection. She really needs the cash, so we want to help her get the best she can.

lil_freak_66
02-21-2011, 04:07 PM
the wife has to be the executor of the estate for her to be able to sign them,IIRC it can only be the executor of the estate which can sell them.

smac61
02-21-2011, 04:17 PM
the wife has to be the executor of the estate for her to be able to sign them,IIRC it can only be the executor of the estate which can sell them.

Correct. It was assumed, but I should have mentioned that.

miforest
02-25-2011, 12:04 AM
sorry for your loss, good luck with the sale.

rstipp
04-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Good luck!