PDA

View Full Version : 12 ga to .410 adapter?

kccaro
02-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I've seen an adapter to take a 12 ga. gun and use an adapter to shoot .410 ga shells in it, anyone ever use one? This route sure would be cheaper to hunt squirrels than having to buy a whole new gun. I've got a mossberg 500A 12ga...any thoughts on this adapter?

badman
02-18-2011, 04:31 PM
I've seen an adapter to take a 12 ga. gun and use an adapter to shoot .410 ga shells in it, anyone ever use one? This route sure would be cheaper to hunt squirrels than having to buy a whole new gun. I've got a mossberg 500A 12ga...any thoughts on this adapter?

i think you will have a horrible patern and you will only get one shot, then you have to pull the shell and plug out, get the shel out of the plug, insert freash shell and reinsert into breach. sounds like you should just use the 12 guage. rounds are cheaper for 12 guage anyway.

kccaro
02-18-2011, 04:36 PM
True, but if I get enough adapters to fill my tube, then in theory I'll only have to "reload" my adapters every 5th shot.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Or should I just do like the badman suggested and shoot the tree rats with a 12 ga load?

Shalayko94
02-18-2011, 05:12 PM
You can get a box of 100 12 ga shells at meijer or walmart for 23 bucks OTD, and they do wonders on squirrels. IMHO I'd just stick with whats simple and shoot em with 12ga shells.

badriverbarber
02-18-2011, 06:13 PM
I think that the adapters only work with s/s or o/u and single shot type guns.
Not pumps or autos.

ninjatoth
02-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Is it one of those short unchoked barrels?If so that 12 gauge will spread out so fast it will work well and won't be overkill.

stroo
02-18-2011, 09:37 PM
I think that the adapters only work with s/s or o/u and single shot type guns.
Not pumps or autos.
:yeahthat:

The adapters are just a shotgun chamber (loose) in a chamber, so I can't imagine they will cycle through a pump or semi-auto without the internal shell coming loose from the adapter and jamming up the works.
I have had pretty good results with a 12 on squirrels before switching to a .22 so I am having a problem seeing a return on investment. The adapters are expensive, .410 is typically more expensive than 12 gauge so I'm just not getting the ROI.
I think the adapters are meant for survival and adaptability, not for straight up hunting.
My opinion is you are much better served with cheap #6 shot and aim for the nose of the tree rat. Kill shot with little meat loss.

My 2 cents...

kccaro
02-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Think I'll stick to the #6 shot 12 ga. ammo...at least till I can get my hands on a relatively cheap .22mag. I realize that the mag might be a little much for squirrels, but I would like to do some (very little...)coyote hunting too. Also will be a nice little rifle for plinking around and killing woodchucks out of my garden.

Thanks to everyone for your $.02.!!