PDA

View Full Version : Lefty Newbie Goin' Lookin' Tomorrow

jimmyb223
02-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Hi:

I'm planning on visiting one or two gun shops tomorrow to examine / learn more about a few pistol models.

I'm a lefty. So, I'm looking for a pistol that is truly ambidexterous. I'm leaning toward a semi-auto rather than a revolver and probably 9mm.

I've been doing some online research. I've identified these candidates:

S&W M&P
Springfield XD(M)
Glock Gen4

Can you suggest others?

My budget is in the $500 or $600 range.

Thanks!

cmike
02-18-2011, 08:28 PM
What do you want to use it for?

jimmyb223
02-18-2011, 08:33 PM
It would mainly be for recreational range use but also for personal protection in the home.

cmike
02-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Glock 34

Wolvee
02-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Hi:

I'm planning on visiting one or two gun shops tomorrow to examine / learn more about a few pistol models.

I'm a lefty. So, I'm looking for a pistol that is truly ambidexterous. I'm leaning toward a semi-auto rather than a revolver and probably 9mm.

I've been doing some online research. I've identified these candidates:

S&W M&P
Springfield XD(M)
Glock Gen4

Can you suggest others?

My budget is in the $500 or $600 range.

Thanks!

FNX9, 40 and FNP45 :0) I just drank the kool-aid.

XDM 40 cal
02-18-2011, 08:38 PM
It would mainly be for recreational range use but also for personal protection in the home.

Well all three are great for that...

What you can do or should do is rent all 3 and see what you shoot best with..

Each have there pros and cons...

Judge them for your self..

I have XDm and a XD...If you like to shoot them let me know..

bigshunner
02-18-2011, 08:48 PM
I say go GLOCK, but I'm a GLOCK man through and through. although, if you found nice used SIG you wouldn't be disappointed either! As a fellow lefty, I learned to shoot with both hands. :badass:

SpaceOddity
02-18-2011, 08:51 PM
M&P is your only truly-ambi option.

It's hard to find ambi Glock mags & no ambi slide release. XD's are crap.

XDM 40 cal
02-18-2011, 09:56 PM
M&P is your only truly-ambi option.

It's hard to find ambi Glock mags & no ambi slide release. XD's are crap.

Opinions vary...

Guns are like car some like one brand more than others..

Anywho...

Good luck on your hunt.

hopeitsfast
02-18-2011, 10:01 PM
As a fellow 'lefty' my advice would be to not get caught up in the 'lefty' thing. Every gun i've ever owned was set up as a "righty" gun. Big deal, you'll learn with proper training. On your list i like the M&Ps and the Glocks. But of course it depends on what you like, not what anyone else likes.

Wolvee
02-18-2011, 10:17 PM
The FNX is completely Ambidextrous.

XDM 40 cal
02-18-2011, 10:21 PM
As a fellow 'lefty' my advice would be to not get caught up in the 'lefty' thing. Every gun i've ever owned was set up as a "righty" gun. Big deal, you'll learn with proper training. On your list i like the M&Ps and the Glocks. But of course it depends on what you like, not what anyone else likes.

Agreed, I leard to shoot with my left hand.. I'm a righty...:hide:

XDM 40 cal
02-18-2011, 10:26 PM
The FNX is completely Ambidextrous.

:thumbup:

wurm
02-18-2011, 11:56 PM
I'm a lefty and I prefer a gun setup for right handed people. I don't want a slide stop on the right side of the gun and I can't reach a mag release on the right side of most guns that have them (short thumbs). I use a pretty high thumbs forward grip and with right sided slide stops my thumb hits them too often and I sometimes don't get the slide to lock back on an empty mag. Heck, if I were right handed I'd be looking for a left handed gun.

All that being said, any of the three should be ok for you. I would pick a Glock myself. If it had to be just one it would be the G19. G34 as a close second, especially if it is going to be a nightstand gun and less for carry.

Billetproof
02-19-2011, 03:11 AM
I am a lefty too and the new Kimber Solo Carry 9mm is probably one of the best guns for a lefty. The mag release and safety are ambidextrous, the slide stop is the only thing that isn't.
http://www.kimberamerica.com/solo

mjerickson
02-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Just picked up a Smith and Wesson 5906 police trade in from CDNN. The stainless steel constuction makes it a bit heavy for daily carry but it really tames the muzzle flip this makes it a dream to shoot all day. Mine came with Houge grips that are a bit large for average sized hands replaceing them with S&W factory grips should fix it. It does show some holster wear but the barrel is like new. Like another poster said as a "Southpaw" I too prefer the controls on the left side of the frame. The safety/decocker is truely ambi. on both sides of the frame)

My first semi auto was a 3G 19 that I never did get used to as a lefty. The glock eventually got swaped for a 1911-A1 more as a collectors item but it is fun to shoot. This 9mm Smith eats anything you feed it. I put 250 rnds through it the first weekend with no FTF/FTE. My brother had is M&P 9mm compact along that weekend. I thought it shot well and its very lefty friendly. Im just not impressed by the looks of either the M&P or the Springfield poly guns.

All in all not a bad deal for about $300.00 which gives you alot of extra dough for ammo, mags ect. Granted its a 15+ year old pistol, but its rugged and reliable.