PDA

View Full Version : Pistol purchase questions??

jarheadjay
02-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Ok....So last fall my family and I moved to lansing from a state with very unfriendly gun laws (IL) , I recently took a cpl safety class but still need to do the range portion. I have pistol on lay away (Kimber ultra carry II) and thought I could just pick it up once I get my CPL, but I have decided to hold off and use the pistol on lay away to qualify on the range. Just thought it would be better to do it with the actual firearm i will be carrying.....

I was told since I dont have my cpl yet, that i need to get permission to purchase the pistol on lay away....

Where do I go to get permission??? Who do I need to talk to??? The gentleman at the gun shop said the state police, but thats pretty vague, who/where???
I live in South lansing BTW, if that matters....

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

who dat
02-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Ok....So last fall my family and I moved to lansing from a state with very unfriendly gun laws (IL) , I recently took a cpl safety class but still need to do the range portion. I have pistol on lay away (Kimber ultra carry II) and thought I could just pick it up once I get my CPL, but I have decided to hold off and use the pistol on lay away to qualify on the range. Just thought it would be better to do it with the actual firearm i will be carrying.....

I was told since I dont have my cpl yet, that i need to get permission to purchase the pistol on lay away....

Where do I go to get permission??? Who do I need to talk to??? The gentleman at the gun shop said the state police, but thats pretty vague, who/where???

Thanks in advance for your help!!!Another case of a store employee and wrong info.

If your municipality has its own police department, go there. If not, go to the sheriff department.

Ask for a Permit to Purchase a handgun. Easy.

langenc
02-21-2011, 12:59 PM
AND do NOT let them charge you for the permit, even for the notary part. Take it to your bank, city office etc to be notarized. Some govt subdivisions dont follow the laws.

Leader
02-21-2011, 01:00 PM
You need to go to your local police station, in your case it sounds like LPD.
Ask for a Permit to purchase a hand gun.
They will give you a short knowledge test, (my county also gives you the answers in a pamphlet) .
By then they should have your background check done & issue your permit.
You then have 10 days to purchase a handgun.
Your signature MUST be notarized so don't sign it until you are in front of a notary. (Police may do this for you but will charge. You DO NOT have to have it done by them and the permit itself is free.)
When you buy your gun, you fill out the permit & send two copies back to the police that issued the permit. (You have 10 days to do this too.)
Keep your copy for at least 30 days & carry it whenever you transport your new gun.

Enjoy...

BTW... you don't have to use your own gun top do the range portion, you may rent one anytime.

Hummm... guess I type too slow.

jarheadjay
02-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the info.........much appreciation on how overwhelmingly fast it came!!!!!!

I am off to find the LPD!!! lol.....never thought I would say that........

Thanks again......

Built
02-21-2011, 02:07 PM
AND do NOT let them charge you for the permit, even for the notary part. Take it to your bank, city office etc to be notarized. Some govt subdivisions dont follow the laws.
How do you get around this? It's 10 bucks a pop in saint clair shores

who dat
02-21-2011, 02:09 PM
How do you get around this? It's 10 bucks a pop in saint clair shoresTell them they can't charge you for the permit and they can't notarize it. You can take it anywhere you want.

If that doesn't work, read to them from the book of Michigan Law, verse 123.1102. Maybe they'll recognize it.

ChaneyD
02-21-2011, 02:17 PM

They can charge you but no more than $10.

ChaneyD
02-21-2011, 02:18 PM

You can buy without a cpl/PP but can't pick it up until you show one or the other.

OpenSights
02-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Living in the city limits of Lansing you can only get a PP from the cop shop on Michigan across from the capitol. The fee for the notary is only $5. Hardly worth the extra time and gas to go to the bank. Just MHO.

Edit: also only on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9:00am(?) till 3:30pm.

who dat
02-21-2011, 02:24 PM
They can charge you but no more than $10.
They can charge you if you let them notarize, but you don't have to let them. You can take it anywhere you want.

lil_freak_66
02-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Downtown lansing police dept.(near the capital)on michigan ave. monday,wed. and friday 8am-3pm

first floor,the appropriate desk is to the left of the elevator when you come in.

the building is connected to a court so make sure you are completely unarmed.

i strongly suggest not paying them the $5 "very highly recommended" notary fee.

taylorcalero
03-08-2011, 07:19 PM
call the police

MrSmithMSU
03-16-2011, 09:07 AM

Glad you were able to escape IL! Did you have any problems getting the permit?