PDA

View Full Version : looking for entry level competition?

TACTICALD
02-28-2011, 06:33 PM
I am interested in some sort of fairly inexpensive carbine or handgun,or both! Type of group shooting or competiition for an entry level shooter,if there is such a thing,thanks

Will-IB-Ready
02-28-2011, 06:48 PM
http://www.actshooters.com

TACTICALD
03-01-2011, 01:44 AM
Thank you very much, do you know how much it is, for the competition?and how much ammo is required, I couldn't find it on the site, thanks again sounds aweasome

TACTICALD
03-01-2011, 02:26 AM
Thank you very much, do you know how much it is, for the competition?and how much ammo is required, I couldn't find it on the site, thanks again sounds aweasome

Will-IB-Ready
03-01-2011, 07:35 AM
$20 for members, $25 for guests.
Generally 100 rifle, 50 pistol. Sometimes more or less, depending on how you shoot.

usmcpaul
03-01-2011, 08:09 PM
CQT has a handgun "league night" on Mondays and Tuesdays. It's not sanctioned by any national organizations that I know of, but there are prizes for the top shooters at the end.

It's very laid back, and lots of fun. I shoot .22 to keep costs down, but you can shoot any caliber you want. The range should be open this week, and I hope the league starts again next week.

BTW it $30 per week, bring at LEAST 150 rounds.

http://www.cqtusa.com/main/Range.aspx

Edit: They really treat entry level people well. They gave my daughter, who is new to shooting pistols, a quick, but serious safety brief, and then she was allowed too shoot. All the shooting is done from a holster, in all kinds of different situations and positions.

Nickoli61089
03-01-2011, 08:31 PM
How many stages do you get to go through at CQT? I am thinking about giving it a shot but at $30 for a night it makes me wonder if it would be work it. I believe it is actually cheaper to go shoot at an actual competition like IDPA os IPSC.

_DK_
03-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Shooting Pins at Peters is cheap and fun

usmcpaul
03-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Essentially you are there for 2 hours, 7pm-9pm, so that's about $15 per hour, which in my opinion is not too bad.

They tell you what the situation is, and how many mags to load with the number of rounds in each mag (up to 3 mags). I would estimate there are about 12-16 stages total.

They change it up all the time,...low light, no light, police lights flashing, targets coming at you, standing, prone, strong side, weak side...(occasionally the bad guys/targets are running away...and I still shoot those *******s in the back..:badass: )... we are never bored or have to wait for tons of alibi rounds, and we always look forward to next week.

I am not sure it is for the "serious IPSC competition" shooter, but it works great for people that just want to hone their real world skills, shoot with a great bunch of guys/girls, and have a good time.

Keep in mind, my perspective. I just wants to shoot with my daughter and friends, and I don't care if I "win". I let them count the points and I don't double check them, even if I come in last, I still have a great time.

usmcpaul
03-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Shooting Pins at Peters is cheap and fun

True, no one can beat Peters price, I have been going there for years off and on, and more since the CQT move. The guys there are pretty cool and you don't have to worry about the "Range Nazi" busting your balls about rapid fire. Peters is my "go to" place since CQT had to shut down for the move.

However, CQT is a lot closer to me, the staff is exceptionally nice, the range is extremely nice with lots of room and tables to put your gear/coat, the targets don't "bounce" for 5 minutes after you send it downrange, you can adjust your target distance to (+ or -) 1 foot electronically, ventilation is second to none, they have all kinds of accessories and are open a little later, and open on Sundays. I have never been hassled about rapid fire, or double tap practice. They support OC and CC, (as long as the weapon stays holstered).

All for reasonable rates. Again, "No One" can beat Peters price, but my 'overall enjoyment' level is worth the extra few bucks. YMMV

Pistol Teacher
03-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I am interested in some sort of fairly inexpensive carbine or handgun,or both! Type of group shooting or competiition for an entry level shooter,if there is such a thing,thanks

Maybe you can check a book out at the library.

:poke:

Nickoli61089
03-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Im not a serious competitive shooter, I just enjoy shooting IDPA, I think of it as training for a possible real world situation that I might end up in one day. I know it will never compare to the real thing but I feel it improves my abilities. I think if CQT is up and running for a "fun" shoot next tuesday I might just have to swing by and see how it is.

Also where is Peters and how often do they do the pin shoots?

usmcpaul
03-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Also where is Peters.........

Peters is on Gratiot just south of 12 mile road.(Roseville)

CQT is on the SW corner of 23 mile and Hayes. (Macomb)

Joeywhat
03-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Just FYI, things like 3-gun and ACTS require a good bit of knowledge before safely competing. You don't have to be an expert with your firearms, but you MUST be 100% proficient in regards to safety. Very easy to break 180* or shoot over the berm if you are not paying attention. If you've never taken a carbine and handgun class, or otherwise have only been on a square range you may want to at least come to a match and watch before joining in. It's easy to be overwhelmed.

Just sayin', don't want you to be 'that guy' out there.