PDA

View Full Version : CMP Rifle Clinic, Linden Michiga

rifle guy
03-09-2011, 09:48 PM
The next event on the CMP schedule at Linden Sportsmen Club will be the annual CMP Rifle Clinic. The clinic is designed for those who are interested in learning about high power rifle events, both “Service Rifle” and “As Issued”, and what it takes to participate. This class will be taught by LSC members, Master and Expert rated, who not only know what to do but how to do it successfully! Students will learn the basics in range safety, sight picture and sight alignment as well as positions, breathing technique, trigger control and sling use. There will not be an open match this day! The club house and 100 yard range will be reserved for clinic participants and coaches only!

The club will provide class instruction, literature, lunch, ammunition for the live fire portion of the clinic and one on one coaching by experienced shooters from the ranks of Linden Sportsmen Club while on the firing line. CMP Certificates of Achievement will be given out after the clinic is completed and award pins to those who fire appropriate scores.

Students will need to provide their own eye and ear protection. The club does have loaner equipment including rifles, scopes and shooting mats available at no additional charge but students are encouraged to bring their own equipment if available. The weather in April can be fickle, so students will want to dress accordingly. If you or someone that you know would like to attend and since space and equipment are limited, it is “highly recommended” that anyone interested “pre-register”! The registration and affidavit forms are available on the CMP page of the Linden Sportsmen Club web sight. Simply complete the forms and mail to the club Po Box with payment.
Linden Sportsmen Club
Sanctioned
CMP Rifle Clinic

Location: Linden Sportsmen Club Date: April 17, 2011 Registration: 8:30 AM
14323 Hogan Rd Start: 9:00 AM
Linden Mi. 48451

Information: The clinic class will be run by Master and Expert instructors as well all students will be coached by experienced competitors while on the firing line. The basic skills on safety, sighting, breathing and positioning needed for competing in rifle matches will be taught. Eye and ear protection are required, please provide your own if possible. The club does have a limited number of rifles and scopes available for students at no charge. You may use your own equipment. Space and equipment are limited so pre-registration is highly recommended. If you will need to use club equipment pre-registration is required. Walk-In’s will be accepted only to the limit of seating and equipment.

Cost: $30.00 for adults, $15.00 for juniors. Fees include classroom instruction, materials, lunch, and match.

Ammunition: 30.06, .30 carbine and .223 ammunition will be provided for student use
at the match only.

Rifles:The club does have a limited number of rifles and scopes available for students. Be sure to pre-register if you will need to use a club rifle. You may bring your personal equipment.

Awards: “CMPCertificates of Achievement” and “CMP Award Pins” will be presented
to those who qualify.

Contacts: John Johannes Don Sorenson
(810) 938-0668 810-394-9688
jjiscmi@msn.com dps123@comcast.net

Linden Sportsmen Club

www.lindensportsmenclub.com

I look forward to hearing from you,

John Johannes (aka rifle guy @ LSC)
CMP Chairman
Linden Sportsmen Club

rifle guy
03-16-2011, 10:29 AM
We are receiving registrations for our clinic but still have plenty of room. Thought you'd like to see a few pictures from a past class.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/rifleguy/LSC%20Angel%20Tree%2012-03-06/DSCN1541.jpg

Here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v57/rifleguy/LSC%20HP%20Clinic%204-03-04/
Enjoy,

rifle guy @ LSC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wishn-i-was-fishn
03-16-2011, 08:38 PM
We are receiving registrations for our clinic but still have plenty of room. Thought you'd like to see a few pictures from a past class.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/rifleguy/LSC%20Angel%20Tree%2012-03-06/DSCN1541.jpg

Here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...nic%204-03-04/

Enjoy,

rifle guy @ LSC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John,

the link didn't work for me, it only went to a main/home page for photobucket.

rifle guy
03-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Don't know why it wouldn't work but should be OK now. Try it again.

rifle guy @ LSC

chadrick85
03-17-2011, 10:08 AM
I am definitely interested and will probably sign up, but I don't have any rifles. What rifles will we be shooting?

Also, will this certificate help me complete one of the criteria to order a rifle from the CMP? I am already a member of an affiliated club, but have not done the shooting criteria yet.

rifle guy
03-17-2011, 10:29 AM
You can download the registration & afidavit forms off the CMP page off the Linden home page. Complete them and send in to the Po Box for the club with your payment. With pre-registration I can guarentee you a seat and a rifle (probably an M1). Be sure to bring eye and ear protection. The CMP certificate will fulfill the "shooting" requirement needed to buy from the CMP.

Look forward to seeining you at the club.

rifle guy @ LSC

chadrick85
03-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the information. I will send in the paperwork this weekend. I've been wanting to get an M1 Garand and M1 Carbine (no longer possible) from the CMP this year (just got into shooting last fall) and so this really peaked my interest.

chadrick85
03-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Put the registration and fee in the mail yesterday. Will you guys email me more information upon receipt or mail me something?

rifle guy
03-21-2011, 05:43 PM
chadrick85,

Don't normaly send notification but if you PM me with your information I will confirm that your registration has arrived. I'll be checking the mail next this coming weekend.

rifle guy @ LSC

ltcnav
03-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Seems like a good place to ask.
If I understand the rules for the CMP purchase program. As retired military, that in itself qualifies me to purchase from the CMP?
Does this apply to any veteran, retired or not?
Or, am I misreading this?
Thanks,
Jerry

rifle guy
03-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Your DD214 will satisfy the "marksmanship" requirement however you'll need to be a member of an affiliate club or orginazation to purchase a rifle. If you make a trip to the North Store you can join the Garand Collectors Association right there and you'd be good to go.

All of the stipulations are and the CMP's "Sales Page".

HTH,

rifle guy @ LSC

ltcnav
03-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the info.
Jerry

bunk
03-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Having never participated in a HP Match, but looking forward to trying (just filled out app), given the choice between a 1903 and an M1, which would you recommend? I am not new to shooting, just HP.

Thanks,
Chris

MLG
03-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Seems like a good place to ask.
If I understand the rules for the CMP purchase program. As retired military, that in itself qualifies me to purchase from the CMP?
Does this apply to any veteran, retired or not?
Or, am I misreading this?
Thanks,
Jerry

Just FYI, MGO is a CMP affiliate and would satisfy the club membership portion... it's only $25.00 :biggrin: .

Proof of your veteran status will cover the Marksmanship portion. A CPL also covers the marksmanship requirement or if you are 60+ years of age (so I've been told).

Max

Garandpa
03-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Having never participated in a HP Match, but looking forward to trying (just filled out app), given the choice between a 1903 and an M1, which would you recommend? I am not new to shooting, just HP.

Thanks,
Chris

M1 for sure. Much more forgiving in the timed fire. And the Michigan Rifle and Pistol Club is a good "affilliated oraganization" to join
because it allows entry into some very good matches, including some at Camp Perry. michrpa.com
Roy

s.a.w
03-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Does the Linden Sportsman Club Plan to do any Saturday Classes?

rifle guy
03-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Our annual (and only) CMP Clinic is scheduled for April 17, 2011. We still have a few openings so get those registraions in the mail soon. With my work schedule the way it is the only day that I can schedule an event is Sunday.

BTW, no club affiliation needed to shoot at Camp Perry.

HTH,

rifle guy @ LSC

bunk
03-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Will we get some form of confirmation of registration once you receive the form?

Thanks

Garandpa thanks for the info, my M1 it is.

rifle guy
03-29-2011, 04:12 PM
I usually only send notice to those that ask for it. Just note on your registration form, be sure I can read your email address and I will let you know when I receive your forms.

Thanks,

rifle guy @ LSC

Garandpa
03-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Our annual (and only) CMP Clinic is scheduled for April 17, 2011. We still have a few openings so get those registraions in the mail soon. With my work schedule the way it is the only day that I can schedule an event is Sunday.

BTW, no club affiliation needed to shoot at Camp Perry.

HTH,

rifle guy @ LSC

Unless you want to shoot there at the ORPA events, such as the Ohio State Championship, then you will either need 1) an ORPA membership or
2) Membership in your own State Association.

Practice at Camp Perry is a valuable commodity in my book. Your milage may vary.

rifle guy
04-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Just a few day to go before our annual CMP Rifle Clinic and the class has filled nicely BUT not completely! We still have a few seats available! With less than a week before the class you wouldn't want to mail in your registration, so if you or someone you know still would like to attend just contact me directly by email and I will reserve a seat.

jjiscmi@msn.com

HTH,

rifle guy @ LSC

gidaeon
04-14-2011, 07:44 PM
I am looking forward to attending, learning additional skills, and meeting more fine MGO'ers. Less than 3 days to go! I am bringing my M1 and looking forward to shooting it instead of just looking at it..

rifle guy
04-14-2011, 09:30 PM
I am looking forward to the clinic as well! In the years I've been the CMP Chair at LSC the clinic has always been a well attended and an enjoyable day long event. Lets hope the weather is in our favor!!!

We do still have 5 seats available. Email me if you'd like to join us!

rifle guy @ LSC

chadrick85
04-15-2011, 07:58 AM
How long does the event typically go? And should I bring anything other than range gear?

rifle guy
04-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Class will run until about noon, break for lunch and then to the range for live fire. With 2 maybe 3 relays, extra explanations and coaching we probably won't be done on line until 3 maybe 4 PM.

Dress for the weather, might be a little chilly. Bring any gear that you think you may need. Better to have and not need it than need it and not have it! Don't forget your eyes and ears if you have them!

rifle guy @ LSC

bahbo
04-15-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm going to be there bringing my m1 and my gf. Ammo is provided correct?

rifle guy
04-15-2011, 02:41 PM
We will provide you with ammunition that will work fine in an M1, not sure about a gf???

rifle guy @ LSC

bahbo
04-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Girl friend

lol, you and I have already spoken via email and both my and my girls registrations were sent in a couple weeks ago.

I'm excited about learning to shoot as a rifleman.

See you tomorrow!

Almostnoddedoff
04-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Was everybody blown away by the event?

chadrick85
04-17-2011, 07:55 PM
We all shot. We were unable to do the offhand standing, but we shot for 3 hours and had a blast!

rifle guy
04-18-2011, 09:51 AM
From my perspective the clinic went well. We had 18 students with one no-show and to my relief most had their own equipment, fewer rifles for me to clean at the end of the day. There was lots of interaction between the class and instructors with good questions! After what I hope was an acceptable lunch we moved to the range for live fire. Thru the windows it looked nice outside BUT it wasn't quite as one would expect. A little chily with a lot of wind. For safty reasons, because of the heavy wind, we replaced offhand with a second rapid fire string. There were a few pretty good scores fired and a few scores not so good but the students all got their rounds off and seemed to have a good day with everyone earning their CMP Certificate.

Thanks to all who attended and I hope it was a good day for all of you!

rifle guy @ LSC

chadrick85
04-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Woke up a little sore this morning, but not bad for a first time, no bruises just tender, lol. I noticed on the CMP score cards there was a link to access the scores online; Will that be available to us John?

By the way, Kudos to all the coaches you had there. I had Gordon, but talked with others and all were very helpful and friendly. You guys ran a good setup!

rifle guy
04-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Score cards and clinic report will be on the way to the CMP by weeks end. With all that they have going on right now it will probably be a few weeks before they have the scores up. Some time in the nexr few days I will have them posted here and on the Linden web page.

rifle guy @ LSC

Almostnoddedoff
04-19-2011, 03:29 PM
A little chily with a lot of wind. For safty reasons, because of the heavy wind, we replaced offhand with a second rapid fire string. There were a few pretty good scores fired and a few scores not so good but

I was wondering about how the off hand would go. That makes sense what you did.

Are you holding any more of these any time soon or is it just an annual thing?

rifle guy
04-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Off hand would have been a good thing to show, very good experience, but safty first! Before the students were thru in class our coaches had use of the line, these guys are experienced, and they were being blown around 2-3 targets either way of their firing point. I just could not see putting new shooters in a situatuation like that. Did the best we could with what we had at the time. Glad that many of you understand.

This is an annual event that we hold at Linden each spring. If you go to the "Competition Tracker" page off the CMP home page you'll find 3 more clinics scheduled, so far, in Michigan with links to the clubs for more info.

HTH,

rifle guy @ LSC

gidaeon
04-19-2011, 05:15 PM
I just want to say thanks to John and the Linden club in general for their hosting. We appreciate it! Even with many layers, it was chilly out! Shooting an extra prone was understandable, and hey, for us newbies shooting is shooting plus we get to feel better about the target than likely off hand results.

I had Gordon as a coach and it was pleasure to have his support - a real gentleman! The only thing I would add is that I thought a bit more practical explanation\demonstration of NPOA and relaxing in position, would be of benefit in the classroom or maybe it was just me.

Gordon did an excellent job in prep of working at me finding NPOA, and repeatedly roughly smacking the charging handle back after a dry fire. repeat, repeat, repeat. It was an excellent exercise in simulating shots and seeing if I was naturally returning on target. All in all it was a great time.

chadrick85
04-20-2011, 06:33 AM
I had Gordon as a coach and it was pleasure to have his support - a real gentleman! The only thing I would add is that I thought a bit more practical explanation\demonstration of NPOA and relaxing in position, would be of benefit in the classroom or maybe it was just me.

Gordon did an excellent job in prep of working at me finding NPOA, and repeatedly roughly smacking the charging handle back after a dry fire. repeat, repeat, repeat. It was an excellent exercise in simulating shots and seeing if I was naturally returning on target. All in all it was a great time.

I also had Gordon (for the first group) and indeed he was a great coach. He showed me how to operate the Garand and also to stay safe and avoid all the pinch areas of the rifle. I agree that more time needs to be taken for those unfamiliar with the gun, as well as those unfamiliar with the position. Much of the prep time was taken up just trying to find out how to use the sling and get into the proper position using NPA.

rifle guy
04-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Here are the results from the CMP Clinic Match. I'm glad all of you who attended had a good day and I hope it will help in your future matches!

Linden Sportsmen Club
CMP Clinic
Match Results

1. Jack Abrams AR 287-8X
2. Andrew Larimer 1903 280-2X
3. Patrick Cavanaugh M1 270-4X
4. Ryan Leininger M1 252-1X
5. Jeffery Wheeler M1 238-1X
6. Chad Christenson M1 244
7. John Pyeatt M1 234-1X
8. Jacob Abrams AR 222-2X
9. Patrick Miller M1 218
10. Christopher Bunker M1 214
11. Kevin Burley M1 212
12. Kyle Pyeatt M1 210
13. Corey Hodgson M1 201
14. William Jackson 1903 162-1X
15. Larry Habitz M1 141
16. Kurt Nelsey M1 112-1X
17. Rob Mascotta M1 NS
18. Carrie Putman AR NS

I look forward to seeing you all on line with us in May at our next event.

rifle guy @ LSC