PDA

View Full Version : Good artificial fish bate?

mechredd
03-09-2011, 11:40 PM
I use good ol' worms for fishing but am now slightly interested in finding a good artificial bait.

It's a strange story but I was in Meijer the other day checking other ammo prices which went up, and started looking at fish bait. It suddenly occurred to me that my bug-out bag has a telescoping rod and real and a small container of lures and fake worms and jigs, that I haven't been able to catch a thing with.

What fake bate actually works well? Also, I want to keep a pack of it in my bag, so what stuff keeps for a long time?

CoponPatrol
03-10-2011, 12:37 AM
To conserve space my preference would be things like beetle spins, tube jigs in 2-3-4 inch sizes and 1/8-3/16 oz tube jig heads, gulp minnow imitation products, johnson spoons in silver and brass colors. These will catch a variety of fish.

Toledo Kid
03-10-2011, 01:27 AM
To conserve space my preference would be things like beetle spins, tube jigs in 2-3-4 inch sizes and 1/8-3/16 oz tube jig heads, gulp minnow imitation products, johnson spoons in silver and brass colors. These will catch a variety of fish.Add Senko's, Craw dads, frogs, long leach's in black or watermelon green in plastics and combo pak of EWG hooks 1/0 to 5/0. Trout...couple of 14-24sz pheasant ears nymps with a gold bead and bait sac tyers kit with pink netting and magic thread from Atlas. Few split shot and you are good to go. Oh and if you have room mix up a Native American secret...small vile with a mix of sea salt and anise plus a chunk of ivory soap.

Daniels
03-10-2011, 08:09 AM
For still fishing, I've never had much luck with artificial bait. For casting there are tons.

I guess for still fishing to have something that would last a while that you could keep in your bag I'd look at Gulp!, Gulp Alive!, or Gulp PowerBaits.

who dat
03-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Berkley Power Bait, the kind with glitter and you mold into a ball.

We were fishing trout in the South Park, Colorado area last summer and worked up a sweat pulling in rainbows. As fast as we could throw out a line, a fish hit.

enfield
03-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Anything that swims will eat a Johnson Beetle Spin. It's the one lure I wouldn't be without.

The time to learn to fish with it is now.

sullyxlh
03-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Seems like a lot in a BOB
A piece of netting to use as a dip net to get the bait fish to get the bigger fish would work
Fish eyes make real good bait too.
Some mono and a few hooks and your good.
Aside from that Gulp or Berkley PB's

TangoDown3727
03-14-2011, 04:04 PM
I use good ol' worms for fishing but am now slightly interested in finding a good artificial bait.

It's a strange story but I was in Meijer the other day checking other ammo prices which went up, and started looking at fish bait. It suddenly occurred to me that my bug-out bag has a telescoping rod and real and a small container of lures and fake worms and jigs, that I haven't been able to catch a thing with.

What fake bate actually works well? Also, I want to keep a pack of it in my bag, so what stuff keeps for a long time?

Any of the Strike King baits with Caffeine scent. Yep Caffeine...the fish, just like ourselves, can't resist it! You can also buy the Caffeine scent spray from Strike King if you really wanna turn it up a notch! You won't be disappointed!

JHill
03-14-2011, 06:36 PM
In-line spinner is a hard to beat lure. I've caught countless species on them.
Plenty of sizes to choose. :thumbup:

Buzzcat
03-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Ummm..... with all due respect, if it's about bugging out, forget the artificial lures and put an entrenching tool in your BOB (or even a quality gardener's hand-spade).

Then just dig for your bait.... "Real" worms are free and they've been proven to work. :wink:

I'll also vote for the beetle/grub spins as a reliable catcher, but if it's SHTF, I'm probably not gonna want to spend time figuring out whether the fish want to hit the grapes, whites or yellows etc., in order to feed myself.

Ruger
03-14-2011, 08:24 PM
If I had only one bait in the box it'd be this one! I've caught more fish on this rubber worm then any other artificial bait I ever had. Bar none This thing catches fish! Even still fishing, just a light twitch and she works.

fished slow this thing has caught more bucket mouths then I could count.

http://www.kellysbassworms.com/images/products/main/pbs_peachie_leader.jpg
http://www.kellysbassworms.com/images/graphics/header_green&cream.jpg

When I find them in the natural color I buy the whole card!

Buzzcat
03-14-2011, 08:28 PM
If I had only one bait in the box it'd be this one! I've caught more fish on this rubber worm then any other artificial bait I ever had. Bar none This thing catches fish! Even still fishing, just a light twitch and she works.

+1

I have had some good success with that setup, albeit not from the same manufacturer.

Ruger
03-14-2011, 08:57 PM
+1

I have had some good success with that setup, albeit not from the same manufacturer.

K&B would be the other one.... :score:

Ferd
03-14-2011, 09:09 PM

+1 I also use the K&E worm rival. When i find them, I also buy the whole card. The 'gills can't seem to resist them. A jointed, floating Rapala is also a great bait for casting or trolling.

wardog6t
03-20-2011, 11:20 AM
I think that we need to know exactly what species of fish you are targeting with said lures? For Pike and Bass I prefer the all mighty buzz bait. There is nothing like it in the world and they allow you to fish them all night long when the boat traffic and other fisherman are off the water....

http://www.lakebottomlures.com/images/buzz_bait_painted.jpg

TomE
03-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Red plastic worms , sprayed with WD-40 on a crawler harness trolling for 'eyes, on Lacque Sainte Claire

Buzzcat
03-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Red plastic worms , sprayed with WD-40 on a crawler harness trolling for 'eyes, on Lacque Sainte Claire

WD-40? Seriously, that's an attractant?

who dat
03-20-2011, 11:38 AM
WD-40? Seriously, that's an attractant?
Good for arthritic knees as well. Google WD40 uses and be amazed.

Here, I'll make it easy:

http://www.wd40.com/uses-tips/

PackRat
03-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Good for arthritic knees as well. Google WD40 uses and be amazed.

Here, I'll make it easy:

http://www.wd40.com/uses-tips/

I try and keep my lures corrosion free so, what it the attractant aspect?

TomE
03-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Oily fragrance ? I really don't know , but when the wally's would keep nipping off the tails of the crawlers , we would put the WD crawlers on and catch a bunch . It's a lot cheaper than using 7 or so dozen crawlers at a couple bucks each . It doesn't always work , but it 's good to have a backup plan .

quigleyman
03-20-2011, 09:29 PM
easiest thing imo is an 1/8th ounce jig head with an attached spoon. The spoon is really tiny. Mine are yellow with a silver spoon(best color imo). They catch fish of all species and sizes, but I've found the crappies hit them really hard (especially ice fishing). You can jig them empty, or if you find live bait it's a bonus. Small enough to catch pan fish, flashy enough to catch bass, etc.

If you really feel you need artificial stuff...berkley power bait earthworms. great stuff, especially on the panfish.

Just remember, when it comes to survival, don't waste too much effort on hunting for large game fish. It's about numbers. You can catch a dozen bluegills on one live earth worm easily from shore with nothing but a hook and ten yards of mono.

quigleyman
03-20-2011, 09:46 PM
My bob fishing kit is a sewing bobbin spooled up with about 15-20 yards of 10 pound mono and inside the hole I found I can fit 2 bb split shots perfectly. I added 3 hooks and one safety pin. Thats it. It's best to keep it simple. The reason I keep the safety pin is so that I can make it into an "eye" on a long, green stick for a rod if I find bigger fish. It ends up kinda like a fly rod with no reel i guess. If you want to fly fish that setup, a little mason's line works great. just add a couple flies and your set gills and bass love that. The mason's line can also be made into a small cast net for minnows to catch big fish easily.

Make your gear do as many jobs as possible and your back will thank you.

JHill
03-20-2011, 09:49 PM

It has fish oil in it.

TomE
03-21-2011, 08:05 AM
easiest thing imo is an 1/8th ounce jig head with an attached spoon. The spoon is really tiny. Mine are yellow with a silver spoon(best color imo). They catch fish of all species and sizes, but I've found the crappies hit them really hard (especially ice fishing). You can jig them empty, or if you find live bait it's a bonus. Small enough to catch pan fish, flashy enough to catch bass, etc.

If you really feel you need artificial stuff...berkley power bait earthworms. great stuff, especially on the panfish.

Just remember, when it comes to survival, don't waste too much effort on hunting for large game fish. It's about numbers. You can catch a dozen bluegills on one live earth worm easily from shore with nothing but a hook and ten yards of mono.
When I was working in a boathouse replacing some black and white caulking on a large boat , some caulk would fall in from time to time . The gills and sunfish would come up and eat it . So of course we quit working and put the caulk on some aberdeens and caught quite a few on a little 1/2" piece of caulk . It didn't matter white or black . I can only think that the fish thought it was spiders or larvae falling off the boat .

quigleyman
03-21-2011, 08:54 AM
When I was working in a boathouse replacing some black and white caulking on a large boat , some caulk would fall in from time to time . The gills and sunfish would come up and eat it . So of course we quit working and put the caulk on some aberdeens and caught quite a few on a little 1/2" piece of caulk . It didn't matter white or black . I can only think that the fish thought it was spiders or larvae falling off the boat .

That doesn't surprise me one bit. When it comes to survival that kind of success is mandatory. All too often it takes less time to catch 2 pounds of gills than one 2 pound bass.

Thats a good cheap idea. As a builder, I always have to clean out the nozzles of older caulk tubes....hmm. I think I found a new type of 3" soft plastic worm :coffee:

Garbo
03-21-2011, 09:02 AM
ok well now you see why there are places like bass pro shops with oh bet over 10k of artificial baits there all of which will work depending on the lake, time of year, temps even the cycle of the moon which impacts breeding cycles on some fish. I've fished since before I could crawl and have never had one guranteed bait. One of my favorite fishing spots the fish dont follow the rules there. Bass bite where pike are suppose to be, I catch bullheads trolling, catch pike top water fishing where bass are suppose to be lol. Its kinda like golf or bowling. Every now and then you hit it and say hey, I'm gonna quit my job and do this for a living. A week later, you're glad you're still working.

Garbo
03-21-2011, 09:05 AM

If you ever get a school of gills off the end of a dock that seem hungr toss a dime or a penny in the water and watch em chase it lol. Gills when they are hungry which is most of the time sice they are often in heavy competition will strike aything. I've tied rubber bands on a hook before, even dangles a bare hook on the surface slightly touching the water with a littl vibration and had em hit. They're like hungry hippos lol.

swany
03-27-2011, 03:05 PM
The plastic worms and crawlers work well.

Have a small vial of anis oil to add scent.

Back in the day when I was overseas had one of them "Pocket Fishermen" in my pack. Never took bait, I could always find something under a rotted log, beetles, grubs, worms, all sorts of bugs, during the winter months if you can find a thick cover of leaves the ground is thawed and will contain some sort of bait.

Dried corn works well, easier to get on a hook if you soak it for a while.

This on a snelled hook in a survival situation especially in the winter hanging from a low branch where you see grouse sign will snare grouse. Put the kernel up high above the shank they tip their heads back and swallow it, when they try to get away it sets the hook in their throats. You must check these often or you will be feeding other critters.

x98myers7
03-27-2011, 04:22 PM
i catch more panfish on a rapala semi-floating minnow than anything else.

Buzzcat
03-27-2011, 04:37 PM
If you ever get a school of gills off the end of a dock that seem hungr toss a dime or a penny in the water and watch em chase it lol. Gills when they are hungry which is most of the time sice they are often in heavy competition will strike aything.

+100.. or even just spit into the water and watch them flock to the glob.

Many times I've dropped an unbaited gold hook off the dock and the 'gills hit it like it's Oprah's free KFC chicken promo.

TomE
03-27-2011, 04:55 PM
If you ever get a school of gills off the end of a dock that seem hungr toss a dime or a penny in the water and watch em chase it lol. Gills when they are hungry which is most of the time sice they are often in heavy competition will strike aything. I've tied rubber bands on a hook before, even dangles a bare hook on the surface slightly touching the water with a littl vibration and had em hit. They're like hungry hippos lol.
Sounds like me chasing a shiny Taurus 22 , but I'm a big Fish

TomE
03-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Then there is the purple gizits about Memorial Day at SANG , or the silver and blue cleo there , or the fire tiger rebel B4 season for bass , pikes or muskie , trolled with a jerky motion . That was my 'hood

swany
03-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Them little ones make good Pike and Bass bait, and the innards make lots of good cut bait.