PDA

View Full Version : New to bow hunting

AMSR22
03-14-2011, 07:18 PM
I've never owned a bow in my life. I haven't shot one since Boy Scouts (20 years ago). I'd love to get into bow hunting and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on where to start? I'd like to get a new Compound bow and start practicing in the back yard this summer.

Any input would be appreciated.

Hugh

JHill
03-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Go to a bow shop and shoot as many as you can. Then you can be measured for draw length, which is vital. When you find the right bow the bow will let you know, it's like the bow picks you. You don't have to spend thousands to get a quality bow, there are plenty out there that won't break the bank.

Edward
03-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Go to a bow shop and shoot as many as you can. Then you can be measured for draw length, which is vital. When you find the right bow the bow will let you know, it's like the bow picks you. You don't have to spend thousands to get a quality bow, there are plenty out there that won't break the bank.
Great advice!!!You may also want to take a look at crossbows while your shopping around

aquatic-archer
03-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Schupbach's in Jackson, MI. Will set you up and sight you in.
Have some real good deals going right now. If you have any questions feel
free to ask.

Groo
03-16-2011, 12:33 PM
pick up a used bow. lots of people spend a fortune on a bow setup, then never use it. after a few years its up for sale for a song.

ro2
03-16-2011, 06:30 PM
not tryin to knock the big stores but, try to buy youre bow at a place like schupaks or vans. The archery shops usaually are staffed somewhat by pro or semi-pro shooters and they know how to fit a bow to you, no matter what make or price range. I have seen too many butcher jobs come out of the big sporting good stores. It is critical the bow be set right for you, if not you will have nothing but frustration in youre shooting and it will not be as enjoyable.:biggrin:

Johnson16
03-19-2011, 02:59 PM
pick up a used bow. lots of people spend a fortune on a bow setup, then never use it. after a few years its up for sale for a song.

I will echo this thought. My last bow was bought used and I saved $200 in the process. If you start looking now you can get a 2010 or older pretty cheap. In the past week I have seen some 2010 bows that were near $800 new going for just over $400 on archerytalk.com. I personally will never buy a new bow again as there are a lot of people out there that seem to need to have the latest every year so they unload their previous bows for a great price.

PackRat
03-19-2011, 06:09 PM

Ditto

Just don't purchase one that is real old and inspect it very carefully no matter how old it is.

Your best bet used is to buy one from somebody that knows what they are doing.

Check out Lansing Craigslist, there are always bows for sale on there.

swany
03-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Bow hunting is a sport that requires a lot of practice and with that getting the heaviest pull wgt you are comfy with is a chore.

To start with most folks won't get a 70lb back to full draw or let off point.

Best bet, get a good back stop, then go to a Pawn shop and look for a light wgt recurve in the 45lb area. Get some decent economy aluminum arrows and practice tips. Total outlay likely less than $150.

Practice your archery until you are comfy shooting 50 arrows in a setting, you are then ready and your muscle tone is set for something heavier. It is very good upper body exercise that you will need for that expensive compound you will hunt with.

But then you never know, my last hunting bow was a 72 lb bamboo laminate long bow. Alas my shoulder can not handle that at age 65 and I'm ready for a crossbow if I want to continue bow hunting.

PDinDetroit
03-29-2011, 10:45 PM
I've never owned a bow in my life. I haven't shot one since Boy Scouts (20 years ago). I'd love to get into bow hunting and was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on where to start? I'd like to get a new Compound bow and start practicing in the back yard this summer.

Any input would be appreciated.

Hugh

I am Left-Handed with Right-Eye Dominance. I have tried to use a Compound Bow either Left or Right Handed with terrible results while at a range.

I went and got a crossbow and feel I could take a deer easily with it (within limits). I taught my nephew to use it in 10 minutes and he took his first deer right through the Boiler Room with it the next day. It has a scope just like my rifles...

mikeb32
03-30-2011, 12:14 AM
I have a used Darton, like new........45-70 lbs. Ready to rock. if interested let me know.

JHill
03-30-2011, 09:26 AM
I have a used Darton, like new........45-70 lbs. Ready to rock. if interested let me know.

Whats the draw length on that? Or is it adjustable? If the op isn't interestd, I might be, for my son. He's got a Jennings now that fits him, but, he's outgrown the draw weight. Let me know if the op takes you up on it or not.

mikeb32
03-30-2011, 11:54 AM
I believe its either 28 or 29 inches