PDA

View Full Version : IDPA Question

Jack-w-1911
03-15-2011, 03:53 AM
Does one have to become a member of a club to shoot IDPA?

I've been looking into places that offer IDPA, and Wayne County Raccoon Hunters looks to the ideal location. If someone could give me a heads up on the club, I'd appreciate it.

malignity
03-15-2011, 04:13 AM
The Detroit Sportsman's Congress does it once a week; however I'm not sure when it's starting for the season. I don't have the exact details, but I meant to check it out last year.

71commander
03-15-2011, 04:52 AM
Jack.

Just show up on a practice or match day. Visitors are welcome. Someone will be more that glad to show you around.

jmanz6
03-15-2011, 05:18 AM
No, you don't have to belong to a club to shoot IDPA. You can register for any IDPA event put on my a club and shoot. You do have to belong to IDPA though, and have shot the qualifier for IDPA before you can shoot an official event. The practices are open to anyone though.

wishn-i-was-fishn
03-15-2011, 06:02 AM
No, you don't have to belong to a club to shoot IDPA. You can register for any IDPA event put on my a club and shoot. You do have to belong to IDPA though, and have shot the qualifier for IDPA before you can shoot an official event. The practices are open to anyone though.

Almost!

The fact is to be able to shoot the IDPA classifier and to shoot in any IDPA sanctioned macth you must be an IDPA member.

All of the clubs in SE MI shooting IDPA matches on a monthly basis are putting these regularly scheduled matches on as non-sanctioned matches (they don't count for scores to go to the national match). Although IDPA membership is encouraged you can shoot the regular non-sanctioned matches at most all of the clubs without being an IDPA member and without shooting a classifier. But heck the membership is only around $35 a year so why not join and support the sport. This way you can classify and measure your skill against others in your own class and division.

Any clubs putting on weekly IDPA practices also do this as an informal non-sanctioned event and IDPA membership is not required to participate.

And as stated in an earlier response, membership in the club hosting the event is also not required. the range fees for non-club members is usually higher than for members.

I have been shooting IDPA since 2002, have shot at most all of the clubs in SE MI holding IDPA events and have been an RO at Linden since about 2004. Everything that I stated above is true for Linden and the guys at DSC are doing pretty much the same thing as well as I am sure Jerry will confirm.

jmanz6
03-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Almost!

The fact is to be able to shoot the IDPA classifier and to shoot in any IDPA sanctioned macth you must be an IDPA member.

All of the clubs in SE MI shooting IDPA matches on a monthly basis are putting these regularly scheduled matches on as non-sanctioned matches (they don't count for scores to go to the national match). Although IDPA membership is encouraged you can shoot the regular non-sanctioned matches at most all of the clubs without being an IDPA member and without shooting a classifier. But heck the membership is only around $35 a year so why not join and support the sport. This way you can classify and measure your skill against others in your own class and division.

Any clubs putting on weekly IDPA practices also do this as an informal non-sanctioned event and IDPA membership is not required to participate.

And as stated in an earlier response, membership in the club hosting the event is also not required. the range fees for non-club members is usually higher than for members.

I have been shooting IDPA since 2002, have shot at most all of the clubs in SE MI holding IDPA events and have been an RO at Linden since about 2004. Everything that I stated above is true for Linden and the guys at DSC are doing pretty much the same thing as well as I am sure Jerry will confirm.

Huh, I edited my response to mention the qualifier but it didn't show up. You cleared it up though. Thanks,

Jack-w-1911
03-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the info people. I'll have no problem joining IDPA, but joining a club right now would require more money than I have at the moment.

johnzilla
03-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Livingston Conservation and Sports Association (LCSA) has an "Intro" class every year. If you've never shot IDPA before, it is a nice class to take.

They will cover the rules, safety procedures, scoring, beginner-level tactics, equipment, etc. All without the pressure of competition and other people waiting behind you to shoot. After the class, they usually run people through 2-3 typical IDPA stages.

This year the class is March 26 and it costs $20. I took it several years ago when I started IDPA and the $20 is well worth it. LCSA is a few miles north of Brighton...an easy 30-minute drive from most of Wayne County.

http://www.lcsa.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=197&Itemid=209

JimSig
03-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the info people. I'll have no problem joining IDPA, but joining a club right now would require more money than I have at the moment.

OPTION I:
-----------
You don't have to join any local club.. or join IDPA for that matter.. In your current situation you can just shoot at any local IDPA match, you will be grouped under "Non classified". That's all. However, it is better to go thru option II. (see below)

OPTION II:
----------
However, if you decide to join IDPA (for $40 per year) you can do that online and you will be issued an IDPA ID card and an empty classification card. After that you can then locate a local club to shoot a classifier (for $20 in most clubs) and get your classification card filled with your class (i.e skill rank: novice, marksman, sharpshooter, expert, or master).. After this step you can shoot any local match (again you don't have to be a member of any local club) however, instead of being grouped under unclassified (as in option I), now your score will be grouped with other shooters who are in the same class as you did in your classifier rank. TOTAL out of pocket cost for option II is $60 ($40 for IDPA one year membership and $20 for classification shoot).

By the way, you can reclassify as much as you want per the one year membership.. All you have to do is to pay the $20 fee for each classification shoot if you feel like you have enhanced in rank.

On another foot note I strongly encourage you to take an IDPA class. There are several of these classes taught at local clubs.. This will give you hands on experience on IDPA rules and some practice range time (drawing/holstering, shooting while moving, etc..).. I beleive there will be an IDPA class at Brighton on the 26 of March.. I am not sure but check the schedule there.. Another option is to shoot a practice session at Racoon Hunters club which would give you the opportunity to watch other shooters and practice IDPA stages with no pressure..

IDPA is both fun and practical - and there are quite few clubs in SE MI that are very good. I personally shoot at Tri County in Saline, but this year I am planning on shooting couple matches in Linden and Brighton as well.. i am reloading as of last fall so ammo is plenty :)

wurm
03-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Raccoon Hunters puts on some great IDPA matches. I highly recommend checking them out if you live in the area. They guy who designs their stages always has interesting things setup. They have covered tables between stages and a plate rack to warm up on if you are inclined. You will usually find me there the 3rd Saturday of the month.

As far as being a member of either a club or IDPA, I'll just toss out what the official poicy is.

The current IDPA rulebook says this about memberships:
pg. 53 under Shooter Responsibilities:

"NOTE: Contestants may only shoot one IDPA match as a non-
IDPA member. Competitors wishing to shoot additional matches
must become IDPA members. Membership forms are available by
writing or phoning HQ or on the internet at the IDPA web site
(www.idpa.com). Membership forms are also usually available
from any IDPA MD or IDPA club. When completing a
membership application, make sure to sign the application, the
waiver and have a witness sign the waiver. Otherwise, HQ will
return the application to you for completion.
New memberships may also be processed through the local club;
however, renewal of membership must be handled directly by HQ."

pg. 57 under Requirements for club affiliation:

"3. Club matches and facilities must be open to all IDPA
members."

Long story short, you don't have to be a member of a particular club to shoot IDPA there. You are supposed to join IDPA after shooting one match but I don't know that I've heard of anyone getting turned away for not being a member.

Hope to see you out there!

Jack-w-1911
03-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks again for the info people. That $20 class sounds good, I'll see if I can get to that.

I'm sure I'll have a question or two in the near future.

Jerry
03-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Almost!

Dan, you guys at Linden and Lsca are where I started IDPA and I really think that both clubs are a class act!

At DSC (in Shelby twnsp just west of Utica) we do just about the same things that you guys do...why mess with a good thing?

The only thing that we have started at DSC that is different from Linden and LSCA is that we offer not only IDPA practice Monday evenings from 5-8pm (may thru October) is that we offer a Basic Defensive Pistol Practice on wed evening from 5-8pm May thru October...shooters can come out and get all the rules and safety rules of IDPA in a low pressue environment so the new shooters dont feel the pressure of a match and can concentrate on the basics.

Need more info pm me.

Thanks Dan :)

JR

wishn-i-was-fishn
03-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Dan, you guys at Linden and Lsca are where I started IDPA and I really think that both clubs are a class act!

At DSC (in Shelby twnsp just west of Utica) we do just about the same things that you guys do...why mess with a good thing?

The only thing that we have started at DSC that is different from Linden and LSCA is that we offer not only IDPA practice Monday evenings from 5-8pm (may thru October) is that we offer a Basic Defensive Pistol Practice on wed evening from 5-8pm May thru October...shooters can come out and get all the rules and safety rules of IDPA in a low pressue environment so the new shooters dont feel the pressure of a match and can concentrate on the basics.

Need more info pm me.

Thanks Dan :)

JR

I was waiting for you to post. I know anybody who shows up at DSC is in good hands with you guys.

donaldj
03-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Livingston Conservation and Sports Association (LCSA) has an "Intro" class every year. If you've never shot IDPA before, it is a nice class to take.

They will cover the rules, safety procedures, scoring, beginner-level tactics, equipment, etc. All without the pressure of competition and other people waiting behind you to shoot. After the class, they usually run people through 2-3 typical IDPA stages.

This year the class is March 26 and it costs $20. I took it several years ago when I started IDPA and the $20 is well worth it. LCSA is a few miles north of Brighton...an easy 30-minute drive from most of Wayne County.

http://www.lcsa.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=197&Itemid=209

I'm enrolled in this. Looking forward to seeing what it's all about.

akrapovic
03-24-2011, 06:46 AM
I think you may need an IDPA membership.

wishn-i-was-fishn
03-24-2011, 11:27 AM
I think you may need an IDPA membership.

Was not required in the past. The whole pupose of the class is to introduce folks to the sport to see if they likeit are interested.

jmanz6
03-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Usually the "intro" classes don't require membership because you aren't being scored. You are running a IDPA type scenerio but no scorekeeping is being done or submitted to IDPA. It's like the Halloween shoot at DSC. It's run as an IDPA match, but if you aren't a member, you just don't get officially scored. It was a great way to see how IDPA works and run actual stages.

Corvettehunter1
03-31-2011, 09:13 AM
Are there any intro classes in the S.E. Mi area in April or May? I want to try IDPA but like the idea of a 'get your feet wet' setting before the pressure of an actual event. I want to improve my shooting especially in a more practical application...but standing on a line at the range is getting old...

I live in the Stockbridge area...and work in the Livonia area...

Thanks.
Mike

JimSig
03-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Are there any intro classes in the S.E. Mi area in April or May? I want to try IDPA but like the idea of a 'get your feet wet' setting before the pressure of an actual event. I want to improve my shooting especially in a more practical application...but standing on a line at the range is getting old...

I live in the Stockbridge area...and work in the Livonia area...

Thanks.
Mike

Tricounty club in Saline will be running a class soon. They mentioned that in last week's match.. keep an eye on thei website..

----------- Edited.. OK there is a class on April 23, here is the link for registration:

http://www.tcsl-idpa.org/index.php?option=com_attend_events&task=view&id=7&Itemid=19

Corvettehunter1
04-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the TCSL IDPA info...that looks good. Hopefully the schedule will allow...

fuerstma
04-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Hey Jack,

I regularly shoot at the practice sessions at the Linden Sportsmens Club in Linden, Michigan. The people there could not be nicer, which is a nice benefit.

The practice runs either $5 or $7, I forget which. Either way, significantly cheaper than an event, let alone an event + IDPA membership + qualification fees.

More important than the fiscal impact, is the fact that at practice, you get an opportunity to run the same course over and over again. While it's fun to challenge yourself against various obstacles (which you can do by attending a match with 5-7 different fields of fire), for someone just getting started, I'd wholeheartedly recommend a practice over a competition any day of the week.

You run the course for the first time, then go back, review what you did, get more comfortable, and in 20 minutes you get a chance to try it again.

Either way you'll do no wrong, but something to think about...

Jack-w-1911
04-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Hey Jack,

I regularly shoot at the practice sessions at the Linden Sportsmens Club in Linden, Michigan. The people there could not be nicer, which is a nice benefit.

The practice runs either $5 or $7, I forget which. Either way, significantly cheaper than an event, let alone an event + IDPA membership + qualification fees.

More important than the fiscal impact, is the fact that at practice, you get an opportunity to run the same course over and over again. While it's fun to challenge yourself against various obstacles (which you can do by attending a match with 5-7 different fields of fire), for someone just getting started, I'd wholeheartedly recommend a practice over a competition any day of the week.

You run the course for the first time, then go back, review what you did, get more comfortable, and in 20 minutes you get a chance to try it again.

Either way you'll do no wrong, but something to think about...

Thanks, I just might do that. Hopefully soon.

cpk1966
05-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks, I just might do that. Hopefully soon.

Jack, Raccoon Hunters shoot IDPA the 3rd Saturday of the month and practices are every Wedneday night from 6-8 pm. If you stop by look me up, as I'm there 99% of the time.

We also will be holding an Into to IDPA Class on June 12th.

regards.
Chris K.