PDA

View Full Version : Where can i Feral pig hunt?

walldj45
03-15-2011, 07:40 PM
I've seen some videos on line and done a bit of reading. It looks life fun hunting for a good cause. Is there somewhere i can do this in Michigan?

midmichman80
03-15-2011, 07:52 PM
From what I understand, there is no season on feral pigs. Thus, not legal to hunt. However, if you are hunting deer with your rifle and a pig walks by, kill it and suffer no consequences. As long as you hunting legal game in season and have the opportunity to kill a pig it is legal. Anybody who knows better please chime in.

matrea
03-15-2011, 07:57 PM
I am sure others will add more if I am wrong but pigs can be hunted at any time with any hunting license and your CPL also counts as a license to hunt them. You will need permission to hunt private land but state land is good to go. The question is though, where are they? There has been many threads on this in the past.

fr3db3ar
03-15-2011, 09:22 PM
We should be happy that they are a bit hard to find at the moment. But they are prolific breeders and we'll have more than our share sooner than some might want to be infested by them.

pkuptruck
03-16-2011, 04:21 AM
I've seen some videos on line and done a bit of reading. It looks life fun hunting for a good cause. Is there somewhere i can do this in Michigan?

according to the DNR, they are ALL over the state and reecking havok and mahem EVERYWHERE!! :fur3:

I suspect, based on the official alarm and indignity, you should be able to walk in most wooded, or farmland and shoot them until your barrel gets too hot.... :ak2:

realistically? hunt near pig farms and game ranches, as many (if not ALL) of the "feral" pigs are escapees.... :scratch:

RevDerb
03-16-2011, 05:01 AM
I am sure others will add more if I am wrong but pigs can be hunted at any time with any hunting license and your CPL also counts as a license to hunt them. You will need permission to hunt private land but state land is good to go. The question is though, where are they? There has been many threads on this in the past.

:yeahthat:

Leader
03-16-2011, 06:49 AM
There is no season on them but there is no *CLOSED* season either.
At this time, *ANY* license is good enough to shoot them. That means if you may legally possess and discharge a firearm where you are, you may shoot as many feral pigs as you can find. With a handgun, your permit to purchase is all the license you need.

ChaneyD
03-16-2011, 07:01 AM
Hey guys, better do some more reading before you get yourself into trouble with the above posts. There is NO season for hogs, BUT - you will need to have either a CPL or a small hunting license to hunt them anytime. Permit to purchase is not a license. You do not need both cpl and small game. One or the other. This is per the DNR. Don't want to see anyone get jammed up.

RevDerb
03-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Hey guys, better do some more reading before you get yourself into trouble with the above posts. There is NO season for hogs, BUT - you will need to have either a CPL or a small hunting license to hunt them anytime. Permit to purchase is not a license. You do not need both cpl and small game. One or the other. This is per the DNR. Don't want to see anyone get jammed up.
Where did that come from? Posts 3 and 6 clearly make the same statement. :banghead:

Oops! I found it in post #7

At this time, *ANY* license is good enough to shoot them. That means if you may legally possess and discharge a firearm where you are, you may shoot as many feral pigs as you can find. With a handgun, your permit to purchase is all the license you need.

Now :banghead: is appropriate. ;)

ChaneyD
03-16-2011, 07:26 AM
Where did that come from? Posts 3 and 6 clearly make the same statement. :banghead:

Oops! I found it in post #7

Now :banghead: is appropriate. ;)

Still not quite correct. Permit to Purchase is exactly that. A permit to purchase. It is not a license of any kind. You will still need either a small game or CPL to hunt hogs.

Leader
03-16-2011, 07:27 AM

I stand by what I said. If you can legally shoot what you have where you are, you may kill any feral pigs you see without fear of being punished by LE in MI.

ChaneyD
03-16-2011, 07:30 AM
You can stand by anything you want but people shouldn't get jammed up with misinformation. LE doesn't handle game laws. The DNR does. Those are their rules. Call and ask them if you don't believe what I stated.

ChaneyD
03-16-2011, 07:39 AM
Maybe you should read this link before you get people jammed up.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371466

jeffegg2
03-16-2011, 07:46 AM
You need the small game licence, or Concealed Pistol licence IF you are hunting on state land.

On private land you only need permission from the land owner and a gun.

Per DNR. Now if you meet up with a LEO, perhaps you would need to show that your handgun is registered...

Leader
03-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Still not quite correct. Permit to Purchase is exactly that. A permit to purchase. It is not a license of any kind. You will still need either a small game or CPL to hunt hogs.

The "purchase Permit" is a license to purchase & carry. See http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(2hd1jr45jqpclv55rxursyu0))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-422

ChaneyD
03-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Leader - You just can't get past the fact you posted bad info and were chastised and now are chasing your tail again. Again, the PP is for puchasing a firearm and going to and from a shooting range. Nothing more. For those of you who are reading these posts, please don't try to hunt ANYTHING on public lands with a PP. Maybe Leader will bail you out of jail.

Leader
03-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Leader - You just can't get past the fact you posted bad info and were chastised and now are chasing your tail again. Again, the PP is for puchasing a firearm and going to and from a shooting range. Nothing more. For those of you who are reading these posts, please don't try to hunt ANYTHING on public lands with a PP. Maybe Leader will bail you out of jail.

This debate will only lead off topic.
Do as you believe and please be on the lookout for someone that was jammed up for shooting a pig when they were legally where they could discharge the firearm they had at the time.

pkuptruck
03-16-2011, 08:30 AM
^^^^ its a moot point... no one has actually SEEN one.... so shooting it would be difficult.... :hoppinhappy:

miked
03-16-2011, 08:39 AM
...The licensee may carry, use, possess, and transport the pistol for 30 days beginning on the date of purchase or acquisition only while he or she is in possession of his or her copy of the license. However, the person is not required to have the license in his or her possession while carrying, using, possessing, or transporting the pistol after this period....

Carry =/= CPL

DNR specifically states CPL or hunting license. While the permit to purchase does allow you to carry the gun you have purchased, it is not a substitute for a CPL and IMHO does not fulfill the requirements set by the DNR.

Back on topic, I've not seen or know anyone that has seen pigs yet in MI, so I don't know where to hunt them.

Easyrider49
03-17-2011, 06:44 PM
^^^^ its a moot point... no one has actually SEEN one.... so shooting it would be difficult.... :hoppinhappy:

Check out the DNR map
43 sightings
27 kills last year .
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/2009FSMap_324708_7.pdf

Missahba
03-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Feral Swine FAQ
What is a feral swine?
A feral swine is a free-ranging pig. Feral swine are considered exotic, nuisance species and cause damage to agricultural lands and the environment. Feral swine can also have negative impacts on wildlife and livestock.

Is it legal to take feral swine?
Yes, if you are legally hunting game during an open season (of any type) and see a feral swine you may pursue that animal if you wish, following all the regulations of the open season which you are hunting. (Please note: There is an open season of some species 365 days of the year.) For open seasons and regulations, please view the most current Michigan Hunting and Trapping Guide.

What is the new law, Public Acts 69-71 of 2010?
The new law does not establish a hunting season on feral swine. Public Acts 69-71 of 2010 declare feral swine a nuisance species and allow for the opportunistic take of any free-ranging pig running at large. Under this law, a person with a concealed pistol permit (CPL) or valid hunting license can kill swine running at large on public property; landowners or other authorized persons can kill swine running at large on private property; and local animal control officers and law enforcement can kill swine running at large on either public or private property.

When can I legally shoot a feral swine?
Any time during regular hunting hours and when actively night-hunting raccoon, opossum, fox and coyote. (Please be sure to follow all day and night hunting regulations for the season in which you are hunting game. Refer to the current Michigan Hunting and Trapping Guide for details.)

What type of hunting license do I need to pursue feral swine?
Any type of valid hunting license or a concealed pistol permit is needed on public property. Possession of either of these allows the holder to be in legal possession of the firearm associated with the license or permit on public land.

If I have a CPL, do I also need a hunting license?
No, you do not need a hunting license in conjunction with the CPL.

Can I shoot feral swine on private property?
If you are the landowner or have permission of the landowner, you may shoot feral swine on private property at any time. It is not necessary to possess a hunting license or CPL to kill feral swine on private land.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12145_55230-230093--,00.html

Kratos
03-18-2011, 02:28 PM
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12145_55230-251114--,00.html

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10371_10402-248245--,00.html

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12145_55230---,00.html

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/feral_pigs_killed_269014_7.pdf

pkuptruck
03-18-2011, 04:12 PM
tin foil hat ON

the DNR says there all over the place, but many many folks with many many days in the woods NEVER see them....:grouphug:

many of the sightings are near "hunting farms".. hmmmmm

the same dnr that said there are no cougars in Michigan...ever...

the same DNR that felt for sure... CWD and TB would be a DISASTER for the deer herd.....

the same DNR that said the wolves in northern LP, must have come over an ice bridge.. ( and then later noted they .."sort of" planted them...)

tin foil hat off....

malignity
03-19-2011, 02:05 AM
I'm sure this goes without saying, however, most cities have an ordnance against the discharge of a firearm within city limits or whatnot. If you're waltzing through the park in Metro Detroit, and one of those elusive pigs that are never seen just seem to magically appear in front of you, don't go unloading your Glock on it. I'm thinking you'll be slapped with some sort of crime.

I'd be curious to see how that'd go down truth be told. I'd not want to be a test victim of course though.

mastiff
03-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Discharge of a firearm in the city limits,:tsk: now if you were being attached by or threatened by said pig then you might not get charged, but i bet that would be up to the city :hick: ..

Unless someone can can a state law, that says shooting in the cities of Michigan are legal in the persuit of protecting the people from feral animals:getsum2: ...

Ol` Joe
03-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Hogs are now officially "invasive"
http://www.wnem.com/news/27295553/detail.html

pkuptruck
03-24-2011, 03:19 AM
Hogs are now officially "invasive"
http://www.wnem.com/news/27295553/detail.html

...and by the number of true, actual sightings... "EVASIVE".... ;-)

aquatic-archer
03-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Look in the same place as Bigfoot and cougars, as you have as good of chance of seeing one of them as you do a wild pig.

coltpython22
03-24-2011, 08:31 PM
my wife and i own a home in the garden district of new orleans, the wild boar and gator hunting is amazing im always looking for ppl to take a ride to my home their to hunt

pkuptruck
03-25-2011, 03:17 AM
my wife and i own a home in the garden district of new orleans, the wild boar and gator hunting is amazing im always looking for ppl to take a ride to my home their to hunt

now THAT would be a vacation! Mardi Gras, with a real BANG! YUM..... :bfg2:

AleksanderSuave
03-27-2011, 11:33 AM

are you trying to get in my pants?

No seriously.

If you are being serious about this, I would love to go.

I'd even try to talk my buddy into driving :D

medictg
03-27-2011, 09:46 PM
From what I understand, there is no season on feral pigs. Thus, not legal to hunt. However, if you are hunting deer with your rifle and a pig walks by, kill it and suffer no consequences. As long as you hunting legal game in season and have the opportunity to kill a pig it is legal. Anybody who knows better please chime in.

Way incorrect. Exact opposite, always open. Any license....

dasko11
03-30-2011, 11:51 PM
...and by the number of true, actual sightings... "EVASIVE".... ;-)

:hide: :hide: :hide:
Where did the piggies go?

hehehe

ranttrmike
04-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Feral Swine FAQ
What is a feral swine?
A feral swine is a free-ranging pig. Feral swine are considered exotic, nuisance species and cause damage to agricultural lands and the environment. Feral swine can also have negative impacts on wildlife and livestock.

Is it legal to take feral swine?
Yes, if you are legally hunting game during an open season (of any type) and see a feral swine you may pursue that animal if you wish, following all the regulations of the open season which you are hunting. (Please note: There is an open season of some species 365 days of the year.) For open seasons and regulations, please view the most current Michigan Hunting and Trapping Guide.

What is the new law, Public Acts 69-71 of 2010?
The new law does not establish a hunting season on feral swine. Public Acts 69-71 of 2010 declare feral swine a nuisance species and allow for the opportunistic take of any free-ranging pig running at large. Under this law, a person with a concealed pistol permit (CPL) or valid hunting license can kill swine running at large on public property; landowners or other authorized persons can kill swine running at large on private property; and local animal control officers and law enforcement can kill swine running at large on either public or private property.

When can I legally shoot a feral swine?
Any time during regular hunting hours and when actively night-hunting raccoon, opossum, fox and coyote. (Please be sure to follow all day and night hunting regulations for the season in which you are hunting game. Refer to the current Michigan Hunting and Trapping Guide for details.)

What type of hunting license do I need to pursue feral swine?
Any type of valid hunting license or a concealed pistol permit is needed on public property. Possession of either of these allows the holder to be in legal possession of the firearm associated with the license or permit on public land.

If I have a CPL, do I also need a hunting license?
No, you do not need a hunting license in conjunction with the CPL.

Can I shoot feral swine on private property?
If you are the landowner or have permission of the landowner, you may shoot feral swine on private property at any time. It is not necessary to possess a hunting license or CPL to kill feral swine on private land.

Living in Midland, and having seen Feral Swine in the area, and having training on this very issue, this is the correct and legal response.

If you take your Purchase Permit with you into the woods, and DO NOT have a CPL or a small game license, you are going to jail.

By the way, after 30 days, you don't need your purchase permit anymore. I suppose THAT will raise a new topic..but that's the law.

Mannella9
09-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Can you hunt pigs with a rifle and a CPL ONLY (no pistol in possession)? Or would this require a actual hunting license?

Skidog
09-24-2011, 01:49 AM
Any hunting license or a valid CPL.

Dave Edwards
09-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Can you hunt pigs with a rifle and a CPL ONLY (no pistol in possession)? Or would this require a actual hunting license?

A Concealed Pistol License is for pistols only. It does not allow you to carry a rifle, shotgun, knife, or anything else. Carrying a rifle without a valid hunting license or carrying it in the wrong season or location with the attempt take game will get you in trouble.

Leader
09-24-2011, 08:48 AM
A Concealed Pistol License is for pistols only. It does not allow you to carry a rifle, shotgun, knife, or anything else. Carrying a rifle without a valid hunting license or carrying it in the wrong season or location with the attempt take game will get you in trouble.

In May of 2010, the Michigan legislature passed a law allowing swine running at large to be killed on public and private land. This change provided much greater flexibility for the public to participate in the lethal control of swine. This legislation also declared that swine running at large are a public nuisance.

You can hunt them anyplace it is legal to hunt. Any time. Shoot as many as you want.
Carrying a long gun is covered by the constitution, no license needed.
Hunting license is needed for game animals.
At one time the DNR was calling for a "license", hunting or CPL. I think they would even except a drivers license. Now you don't even need that.

tote'ngranny
09-24-2011, 09:08 AM
In May of 2010, the Michigan legislature passed a law allowing swine running at large to be killed on public and private land. This change provided much greater flexibility for the public to participate in the lethal control of swine. This legislation also declared that swine running at large are a public nuisance.

You can hunt them anyplace it is legal to hunt. Any time. Shoot as many as you want.
Carrying a long gun is covered by the constitution, no license needed.
Hunting license is needed for game animals.
At one time the DNR was calling for a "license", hunting or CPL. I think they would even except a drivers license. Now you don't even need that.
Yes ... Laws change frequently .. so it's best to check before you go out.

Swine is not categorized under *game*

Mannella9
09-24-2011, 09:32 AM
I guess my thoughts were if you were hunting these pigs during deer season for example the dnr might get you for no hunting license. just don't know they would believe you are hunting pigs only. I do not hunt deer so I would not have a license, fyi...

Roundballer
09-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Someone here knows not of what he speaks. Well he did get the month and year right and the fact that swine have been declared a nuisance.

Here is the law, you DO need a license, a CPL or any valid hunting license.

433.14a Public nuisance; authority to kill swine running at large; prohibition.

Sec. 4a.

(1) Swine running at large on public or private property are a public nuisance.

(2) A local animal control officer appointed under the dog law of 1919, 1919 PA 339, MCL 287.261 to 287.290, or a law enforcement officer may kill a swine running at large on public or private property.

(3) A person who possesses a license to carry a concealed pistol issued under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435, or a valid hunting license for any game issued under part 435 of the natural resources and environmental protection act, 1994 PA 451, MCL 324.43501 to 324.43561, may kill a swine running at large on public property. A person may kill swine running at large on private property if the person is, or is accompanied by or has the permission of, the owner or lessee of the property.

(4) Subsection (3) does not authorize the discharge of a bow and arrow, crossbow, or firearm in an area where the discharge of that weapon, or hunting with that weapon, is prohibited by an ordinance adopted pursuant to part 419 of the natural resources and environmental protection act, 1994 PA 451, MCL 324.41901 to 324.41905.

History: Add. 2010, Act 69, Imd. ***. May 13, 2010 (http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-433-14a)

Almost anyone can pick up a small game license. The only problems are, finding the porkers and having the proper land access permissions.

tote'ngranny
09-24-2011, 11:39 AM
I guess my thoughts were if you were hunting these pigs during deer season for example the dnr might get you for no hunting license. just don't know they would believe you are hunting pigs only. I do not hunt deer so I would not have a license, fyi...
More likely to happen in an area with a low feral pig population. There are areas where pigs are doing extensive damage, plus pose health risks because of disease spreading to pig farms. A few years ago, an agent from MUCC was a our club meeting, told us to hunt feral pigs .. explained what a threat they are becoming. Flat out said .. go get 'em if you happen to see one.

Do the research where they pose problems and approach landowners. If I were you, I would definitely have some sort of a license, and I do have a CPL ..

DandreyCustoms
09-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Everyone seems to be covering the "how can I hunt feral swine" but the OP's question was "where can I hunt feral swine". So I am wondering, has anyone seen them in their area?

pkuptruck
09-25-2011, 03:49 AM
do a search.... it has been covered many times...

consenses is, most rural taverns, bars around 1130PM....

otherwise...they are mostly a myth....

JohnJak
09-26-2011, 11:14 AM
do a search.... it has been covered many times...

consenses is, most rural taverns, bars around 1130PM....

otherwise...they are mostly a myth....

We have an abundance of hogs in Oakland county.

pkuptruck
09-26-2011, 11:42 AM
We have an abundance of hogs in Oakland county.

c'mon.... the bars there arent THAT bad....:woohoo1:

John_376
10-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Hmm.....Oakland County Hogs. I hunted them years ago when they were babes.:fa:

jacuzzibusguy
10-01-2011, 07:58 PM
i did not read all 5 pages....

did anyone post this DNR map of sighting/kills yet?

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/2009FSMap_324708_7.pdf

Baratomodachi
10-05-2011, 11:16 PM
I hunt and have friends in Crawford county. According to my friends, they've never seen a feral pig in their whole life. And one of these folks grew up there, so I don't know. I also have another friends who works in the DNR and I'm asking her for any inside info. If there is some hidden cache of these piggies, I'll share the info.

Baratomodachi
10-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Oh and as far as I understood the legality of hunting said piggies, CPL or small game license.

FAK148
10-22-2011, 06:22 PM
A friend of mine killed a wild hog, on private property, in the Irish Hills just south of the state park. He was deer hunting in the 2009 season. He had it processed into sausage and smoked meats, very tasty. Ocassionaly we still find pig tracks in the area, but have seen no pigs.

gjgalligan
10-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Everyone seems to be covering the "how can I hunt feral swine" but the OP's question was "where can I hunt feral swine". So I am wondering, has anyone seen them in their area?

It seems to be a habit around here.

Wecome to MGO.

pkuptruck
10-23-2011, 04:07 PM
everyone has a "friend who knew a guy" that saw a feral pig.... but no one has ACTUALLY seen one... :facepalm:

FAK148
10-23-2011, 04:19 PM
I saw the boar just after being shot, and before field dressing. And I had several meals from it.

SlowDog
10-23-2011, 05:15 PM
I have several friends all over US from driving truck for years. The ones from the states where the hogs have overrun everything it is really bad. Sure it makes for some fun hunting/shooting but devastates crops and fields/pastures. Careful what ya all wish for.....but I too will be ready when it/if it happens with plenty if ammo and appetite......just sayin

pkuptruck
10-24-2011, 02:22 AM
I have several friends all over US from driving truck for years. The ones from the states where the hogs have overrun everything it is really bad. Sure it makes for some fun hunting/shooting but devastates crops and fields/pastures. Careful what ya all wish for.....but I too will be ready when it/if it happens with plenty if ammo and appetite......just sayin

i guess thats the issue....

there ARE states/areas that have a HUGE FERAL pig problem... seems you cant go anywhere in THOSE staes without running into them...:uzi:

but the MICHIGAN ...ahem.."feral" pig problem is ...well... not as significant... or as much of an issue (unless you have total faith in DNR reports..)

There are no feral pigs.... yet.. These are domesticated pigs, or "preserve" specomens that have merely escaped... According to some, these specialty swine cant even successfully reproduce, due to the hybrid nature... (???)

Seems to be a panic issue for the DNR, (like CWD, TB) and their over-reaction is almost predictable...

I agree pigs can become a huge issue.... but if it were as bad as stated.... sightings and encounters would be more prevelent... right now, it seems there are more cougar sightings than pigs...:roll:

Sabre
10-30-2011, 03:00 AM
Q: Where can I feral pig hunt?

A: Texas and Florida, mostly. I think more elk are taken in Michigan each year than pigs.

Easyrider49
10-30-2011, 09:00 PM
I saw the boar just after being shot, and before field dressing. And I had several meals from it.
You sure it wasn't just a runaway guinea pig , everyone knows that feral pigs "don't exist" in Michigan , lol , deny deny, ignore ignore, and they will not exist . Texans probably thought that at some point also . Pigs - hogs who cares what you call them , I could careless, but I'm not in the habit of trying to be "pollitcally correct" anyway. lol

Easyrider49
10-30-2011, 09:08 PM
You sure it wasn't just a runaway guinea pig , everyone knows that feral pigs "don't exist" in Michigan , lol , deny deny, ignore ignore, and they will not exist . Texans probably thought that at some point also . Pigs - hogs who cares what you call them , I could careless, but I'm not in the habit of trying to be "pollitcally correct" anyway. lol

monique06
11-14-2011, 07:26 AM
There is some spots on Northern Michigan where you can hunt Feral pigs. Hope my information can help you.

johntncm
11-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Try Vic Tanny

pkuptruck
11-29-2011, 03:15 AM

its a matter of definition, not ignorance....

to be feral, they would have to be breed in the wild... it aint happening...

the "escaped pigs" in michigan are farm variety, and a few exotics from game ranches.... and by "a few" that means VERY FEW...

Unlike Texas , hawaii, florida, etc... the terrain, weather, urbanization in Michigan is not very condusive to a "thriving" wild population of "feral pigs"..

Again... no one doubts that a few porkers are running around free... but that doesnt make them "feral"... it makes them "lost"...