PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Ultra Carry 2

just another truck
03-17-2011, 06:53 AM
Well, here is my attempt to give as much info as possible.

I purchased the Kimber on 2/24, I have put through about 600 rounds, so I think enough to comment on her.

She fits my hand perfectly, she is as accurate as everyone said she would be. For being such a short barrel, the recoil is light compared to my 229. The weight is nice, and it does not appear to "print" while being covered by a shirt. I always see it in the mirror, but my wife doesn't seem to notice.

Now, my complaints. From day one, if I release the slide by just using the slide catch, the round will jam. She will also jam when "sling shoting" the round into chamber.

When I first started shooting her, the last round in the magazine would jam every time I shot.

I was told from the get go that this firearm does not like to be limp wristed. Never did I think I limp wristed, but apparently I do, I need to really lock on this thing in order for it to cycle a whole mag with out issue. This concerns me for carry, what happens if I need to shoot one handed?

Last, I am not happy with the pin and the way I slide it in to put the slide back on. I seem to still be doing this wrong, because I continue to scratch the paint.

I will be contacting Kimber to see if there is anything I can do, or if this indeed is an issue with me.

So, I am not sure where I stand with this, I love the pistol, but I have my concerns.

Edit: I have contacted Kimber, they asked ver specific questions as to how I fire, when she jams, and as to what ammo I have used. She then said she will be sending me a box to send it back to her so they can look at it.

Glocker326
03-17-2011, 08:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt1uhCiPCAw&feature=related

just another truck
03-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Thank you, that looks like it will be a great tool!!

Glocker326
03-17-2011, 08:24 PM
yes over priced but no more scratches. I only bought the big one.it's a must have for kimber owners

just another truck
03-18-2011, 07:14 AM
Letter sent in box for return, what an un easy feeling putting this thing in the mail (UPS).

Hello,

I am sending my Kimber Ultra Carry 2 to you for an inspection. I have now cycled 600 plus rounds through this thing, and let me tell you, I Love this pistol, and have now become a 1911 platform lover. The issues though that I have experienced concerns me. I was told that this firearm does not like to be “limp wristed”. I understand that. I own 2 other semi auto pistols and have had people fire them with issue for that very reason. I have not though. So, when I started having problems with the cycling of this firearm, I was real concerned that I might be at fault. But there are two other issues on top of the jam mid magazine. The first round will not always feed into the chamber when “sling shotting” the slide. Nor will it ever cycle in a round by releasing the slide. Last, it may or may not feed the last round out of the magazine into the chamber. Both of these problems, to me, seem related to the mid magazine jam. The jam is during the feeding of the round in, there is no problem ejecting a spent shell.

The 2 brands that I have used for target practice were the Federal “champion” round, yes, the recalled brand. Then the Federal Premium Gold Match

I bought the Kimber with out firing, because of the reputation this firearm and brand has, I am not disappointed, what a great pistol. I am concerned however that this may be my fault. If this will not cycle when I have two hands holding it, how will it perform for me if I need to fire one handed? I would also like to have my wife fire this firearm, and believe she will loose confidence if the weapon has this sort of issue while she is firing.

Thank you for your time,

I can be reached at
for any reason, including just being schooled in the way of the firearm.

mhink
03-18-2011, 12:19 PM
did you try an aftermarket mag, sometimes kimber mags can be kinda crappy. i use wilson combat mags in my pro carry. the last round jamming may be due to that little "nipple" on the mag follower, try grinding that fluch with the rest of the mag, may help a bit. also try a nice throut polishing to assist in the feeding of the round.

hope this helps

just another truck
03-18-2011, 03:15 PM
did you try an aftermarket mag, sometimes kimber mags can be kinda crappy. i use wilson combat mags in my pro carry. the last round jamming may be due to that little "nipple" on the mag follower, try grinding that fluch with the rest of the mag, may help a bit. also try a nice throut polishing to assist in the feeding of the round.

hope this helps

No, I did not, I wish I had though, but it is already on its way.. thank you though!!

smooth40
03-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Your Kimber is evidently a female and therein lies the problem. You refer to it as she or her. Just kidding. Good luck with the factory check up.

Dabears!
03-25-2011, 05:32 PM
seriously? you shot it and it wont feed the first roud, jams on the last one everytime? and you got to 600 and didnt send it in?
hahaha it wouldnt have made it 100 with me

romanowe
03-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Might want to head over to 1911forum.com while you wait for it to return. Lots of knowledge on the 1911 platform over there.

just another truck
03-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Your Kimber is evidently a female and therein lies the problem. You refer to it as she or her. Just kidding. Good luck with the factory check up.

My intention was to answer all of the replies, but I did not find the multi quote button..

but yes, most things in life seem to be female...

As far as the 600 rounds, I was told from whom I bought it from, there may be a break in period, which I must say, scares me, if it only takes 500 rounds to break in.. how many rounds before it breaks??

Thanks for the info on the 1911 forum, I will heand over there and lurk a bit.. Hate to ask questions with out knowing some who answer.

After flipping through god knows how many pages on common problems with the kimber, then looking a the other manufactures, with out a sticky dedicated to problems, I am now concerned about my purchase...

romanowe
04-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Well if you are new to the platform, I would have told you to be concerned with any of the three inch 1911's but it's now your weapon. The good new is that Kimber will take care of it. My pro model runs great, and I have heard/seen good things about their CS lately. When you look at the common problems know that they have been selling more than any other 1911 manufacturer in the last decade by a large margin.

Edit: IMO the break in period is BS

just another truck
04-02-2011, 05:32 AM
Well if you are new to the platform, I would have told you to be concerned with any of the three inch 1911's but it's now your weapon. The good new is that Kimber will take care of it. My pro model runs great, and I have heard/seen good things about their CS lately. When you look at the common problems know that they have been selling more than any other 1911 manufacturer in the last decade by a large margin.

Edit: IMO the break in period is BS

Thank you for that, I know that is NOW to late, but i have spoken to several about the issue, as you said, the 3" seems to be the problem child of the 1911. I have also heard mixed about whether it will be repaired or not, it is my feeling that alot can go wrong because of limp wristing, but my problems, as of now, do not appear to be caused by this, although who knows what the future will hold.. Thanks for the input.. a little late :hick: But I do appreciate it.;-)

romanowe
04-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Hindsight is 20/20 :) Don't worry about it working. You got them to do an RMA for it, it should be returned to you in working condition.

JDG
04-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Kimber will fix it for you, don't question your purchase. My UCII never had one jam the entire time I owned it, it did lock the slide back with more ammo to burn on occasion, but Kimber took the gun back (out of the 1yr window for free shipping) and made it right at no cost to me. For a 3" 1911, mine sure was dead reliable, and very accurate! Carried great with thin Alumagrips, dont like rubber grips grabbing my t shirt, and sure was great shooter. You'll be happy when Kimber gets it right.....

MountainDreamer
04-14-2011, 11:27 PM
I carry JDG's old ultra carry all over and have put a couple thousand more rds through it. Still lovin it, still shoots good as new.

just another truck
04-15-2011, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the replies, Week 3 was Tuesday, they said a min of 3-5 weeks. Haven't heard anything back as of yet. Carrying the good ol sigsauer 229 as of now.

What a difference in weight, but anyhow, still waiting. Thanks again.

just another truck
04-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Well, here we are at the end of week 5 from the day they received the firearm. There has been no call from Kimber for an update. I made contact with the customer rep last week to ask what/if anything was done. I was told that the Custom Gun smith has finished with the pistol and it should head to the range to be test fired this week. What was said is the extractor and frame was adjusted? WTF kind of adjustment do you do to the frame?

I am getting more and more pizzed as I wait. This was a 800.00 firearm that has now been in service for over a 1/3 of the time I have owned it. Checking through several forums, I am learning that Kimber is not that reliable when it comes to repairs. In other words, you get a gun that works, it works, if you get one that doesn't, it never will. I truelly hope that when this is done I will not be one that has to deal with this, but what are the alternatives if this thing comes back to me not working again?

juventus206
04-26-2011, 03:17 PM
If you have problems when you get it back:

1. Chnage mags, I went with Wilson Combat
2. Get the ramped polished

My Tactical Ultra gave me issues similar to the ones you've stated and now it runs much better. Marianne Carniak did the polish job on mine and also timed and tuned the weapon.

-J

Oaklands
04-26-2011, 09:39 PM
I've got both the Pro Carry II and an Crimson Ultra Carry II. Both have been great for me. I have not put as many rounds as you have through them, but they work well. My Ultra Carry has had the fail to load the first shell on a couple of occasions, but it went away.

PeeDee
04-26-2011, 11:07 PM
FWIW

Mgers21
04-27-2011, 01:52 PM
I absolutely love my UCII, carry it in a supertuck everywhere i go. Never had one hickup even with cheap ammo.

just another truck
04-29-2011, 03:55 AM
Good Morning,

Well, the phone call came yesterday, the pistol is in the mail. They ran 4 types of ammo through, two FMj and 2 JHPs, one of the JHP being a +P.Their repair, replaced extracter and adjusted frame (:torch: :confused: )..So, we shall see.

romanowe
04-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Let us know how the range trip goes.

just another truck
05-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Insert big arse smily face here!!

The Kimber just had 100 round's fed through her flawlessly!! So a tip of the hat to Kimber!!

scubatke
05-15-2011, 07:40 PM
What does it mean to shoot 'limp wristed'? I've seen this before but was never really sure exactly what it meant (although I could probably guess).

just another truck
05-16-2011, 04:28 AM
What does it mean to shoot 'limp wristed'? I've seen this before but was never really sure exactly what it meant (although I could probably guess).

I am betting you could guess, most likely correctly.

Limp wristing is allowing all of the kick to be taken by you, not the firearm.IF your wrist, or arm move back to much, then then the recoil needed to cycle the spring is not enough for the slide to fully cycle back. I have seen people who can intentionally jam their weapon, by limp wristing, so they can practice clearing jams.

I hope this is clear, I can see it, I just dont know that I shared it clearly.

just another truck
07-26-2011, 11:40 AM
I have now ran another 500 rounds through my Ultra Carry since the last post.. Everything is now working flawlessly..

TAC
07-26-2011, 12:03 PM
I have now ran another 500 rounds through my Ultra Carry since the last post.. Everything is now working flawlessly..

I knew this story would have a happy ending! Kimber's are great guns, contrary to what many will tell you. I've owned seven of them. Two of them were 3" Ultra Carry II's. They, as well as all the others, were very reliable! A couple of my shooting buddies have them as well, with equal results.

Kimbers are typically fitted much tighter than many other 1911's, and will sometimes be a little temperamental out of the box. The more you shoot them, the better they get! Sure you can go buy a "Government" grade 1911 that's as lose as a goose, but it won't be accurate.

I do highly recommend the Wilson Combat magazines however, as an added measure of reliability.

Because the Ultra Carry II is a defense weapon, it is intended to be used with relatively hot ammo. Sluggish range/target ammo may not always function 100% when the gun is new. This is why 1911 target guns will use a lighter spring. By design, the spring in the Ultra Carry is rather stout, and if the gun is not held firmly, the spring can not do it's job properly.

MountainDreamer
07-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Try a wilson combat mag. Still loving my UC, but running wilson's in it.

Running chip macormick's in my 5" with good results. Although, I have never had a problem with the kimber mags in the 5"

Just whats workin for me, I'm sure others have favorite mags. as well.

garrykolb
08-01-2011, 08:29 PM

hope this helps

+1 on the mag. The last round in my 7-round Kimber mags would frequently jam in my Ultra TLE 2. After some research, I bought Wilson combat mags and I have yet to jam a round.