PDA

View Full Version : New to holsters/ gun belts

TylerPearce
03-18-2011, 02:38 PM
I just bought my first good leather holster, a galco, for a newly acquired 1911. Now I need a gun belt. What are some good options? I will wear this belt a lot, and not just as a gun belt. I have a problem with the cheap belts I usually wear stretching and then I look like a little hood rat with sagging pants, lol. I don't even know what size to get to be honest. My waist size is 32", but the cheap belt that I am wearing right now is a 36 and fits good. I am new to the gun belt (and quality belt in general) world, HELP! I am not looking to spend more than $75 if at all possible.

3rdcoach
03-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Go to a site like www.thebeltman.net or some of the custom holster makers and they will tell you how to measure and everything that you need. $75.00 is in the ballpark

TylerPearce
03-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Thank you! I when I get my CPL (If I still have this belt) I am planning on carrying IWB, how much bigger would you get the belt for that purpose?

jeremy_p
03-18-2011, 03:35 PM
I've been wearing a Looper Leather belt, google looper leather, for 4 years and its worked very well for me even when carrying to handguns plus reloads. Looper belts run $50ish now, I got mine when they were $30/$35. My next belt, however, will be a Sneaky Belt from One Source Tactical. I think they're $50ish as well, but I don't remember.

Jeremy

For sizing I go up a size in pants and belt (2") for inside the waist band carry, with the belt at the middle hole.

mrbuckshot
03-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Here is one of the best secrets that I only let MGO members know about.
go to JC Penny's mens dept and get a heavy dress belt. It will hold up your pants and holster .. Let the other darn fools buy the $100.oo belts. Your $30.oo one will last for years.
have a nice day

ImJin Scout
03-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Here is one of the best secrets that I only let MGO members know about.
go to JC Penny's mens dept and get a heavy dress belt. It will hold up your pants and holster .. Let the other darn fools buy the $100.oo belts. Your $30.oo one will last for years.
have a nice day

+1 on that, heavy belt at Kohl's $18.00, it can even be reversed for color, brown or black. It was the same thickness and strenght that I had seen on "Gun Belts" at local gun shops for $75.00.

hopeitsfast
03-18-2011, 05:33 PM
I've used a few belts over the years and i will second the 'Beltman' for leather. I like the Wilderness Frequent Flier for nylon.

jeffegg2
03-18-2011, 05:58 PM
This will work well. I had to send one back as I bought my size "38" and with an IWB holster I really need the next size up 40.
5.11 Leather Casual Belt 1.5 Detail Stitch 59502 w/ FREE UPS
http://www.opticsplanet.net/511-leather-casual-belt-15-detail-59502.html

This is the one I am wearing now and wear all the time size L.
Uncle Mike's Reinforced Instructor's Duty Belt:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/uncle-mike-s-reinforced-instructor-s-belt.html

:bounce:

sjcootie
03-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Why not contact MGO member Rayban here and have him make you a custom leather belt. I've been to his shop many times now and he does awesome work. Plus he's a terrific gentleman. You could get any size and color you like and even get it customized. Plus his pricing is very fair.

steelhdgreg
03-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Why not contact MGO member Rayban here and have him make you a custom leather belt. I've been to his shop many times now and he does awesome work. Plus he's a terrific gentleman. You could get any size and color you like and even get it customized. Plus his pricing is very fair.
+1 on that

TylerPearce
03-18-2011, 07:50 PM

That sounds good to me. I ordered a tan galco holster because I love the looks of it, but now that I thought about it, I kind of wish I would have ordered black... ohh well, you live and you learn. Could you give ma an idea of what a belt might cost from him? I don't know yet whether I would want it tan to match the holster, or black because that's what I wish I would have gotten with the holster.

NoviceClays1989
03-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Depending on your style, go up to TSC (tractor supply company). Most of their products are very nice and reasonably priced, one could say cheap. I bought a very nice, and heavy and thick I might add brown leather belt there for 25 or 30 two years ago, dont remember, I know they are still the same price. Try to hit em up for the sales. Put it this way, I had a blackpowder .44 revolver that I think weighed around 3lbs, I may be off but the thing was just beastly. Could hang it from that belt and forget it was there. Stitching on its very nice, no stretching, hasn't even developed that funky curve most belts get when you take them off. For the money cant go wrong, has the snaps so you can add your favorite buckle as well. TSC!!!!! :biggrin: :ar15: :popcorn:

mikeb32
03-18-2011, 08:09 PM
+1000 For RayBan