PDA

View Full Version : Clay shooting?

Pals_id
03-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Hello all,

I am fairly new to this forum and have a question about clay shooting. There are a few outdoor ranges within driving distance from me that offer skeet/trap shooting and I would like to try my hand at it sometime. I have owned a defensive shotgun for home defense, but have since sold it.

Since sporting guns are not cheap; what would be the best way to try shooting clays before purchasing a gun for that purpose? I live in Southfield.

Thanks

Smokepole
03-19-2011, 04:12 PM
...I'm not anywhere near you, but I have experience in all of the clay sports, especially Sporting Clays, and Five Stand.
...My suggestion is that you call some of the clubs nearby, and Island Lake, out near Howell.
...The questions to ask are which clay sports they offer, and if you can borrow, or rent a shotgun to use.
...Once you decide which of the clay sports interests you the most, I can offer some additional advice as you desire.

Buzzcat
03-19-2011, 04:14 PM
I could be wrong, but I think Bald Mountain rents guns. They used to, anyway....

Pals_id
03-20-2011, 02:08 AM
Thanks Smokepole and Buzzcat, I will check it out.

pkuptruck
03-20-2011, 03:50 AM
its been a while since I shoot at clays....

but it WAS my experience that many local ranges are pretty friendly... :multi:

some of the shooters ( not the ones with $1billion dollar guns) will let you even try theirs! no really... It used to be that way ( and probably still is..)

call around. and ask.

multilakes Conservation association
Oakland County sportsman club

are two good places to start..

On a side note.... your "home " shotgun... why not use that? unless its all "tacti-cooled " out... should work out ok... (NOTE: if it is a pistol gripped, 18" gun...then never mind... :yikes: )

good luck!

jimmyp
03-20-2011, 10:30 AM
bald mountain has a few rental guns for a small fee also have a great sporting clays and 5 stand set up.

Pals_id
03-20-2011, 06:27 PM
To pkuptruck, I used to have a shotgun and since sold it. It was a model like a lot of the SWAT teams use that had a shorter barrel and longer magazine. It was an open choke that could not be adjusted for maximum short range spread...I guess. Kinda wish I kept it now that I think about it, it was pretty sweet.

jimmyp, thanks for that info too. I now have a few more leads than I did a couple days ago.

Thanks for all the helpful information everyone.

Smokepole
03-20-2011, 07:04 PM
...Whatever clay sport you get into , focus on either an over/under, or an auto loader (gas, or blow-back action). Preferably a 28 inch to 30 inch barrel, and with changeable chokes.Also don't get anything that isn't a least a three inch chamber, preferably a three and a half inch.
...There are advantages and disadvantages to both, but try a lot of different shotguns before you decide.

crankythunder
03-20-2011, 07:20 PM
If you ever find yourselves near willamston on a wednesday afternoon, evenings, perhaps we can hook up on the trap range. I do not have all the types of shotguns but I do have a couple that I would be honored to watch you have a go. I don't make it every wednesday so pm me so we can set it up. The trap season has a month or so to begin but I am anxiously awating it.

Regards,
Cranky

Jerbear1098
03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
If you want to try Trap, you can go to Birmingham Gun Club and they have loaners to use. Great people and you will have a blast.

8701 Richardson Rd
Commerce Township, MI 48390
248- 363-9191

MultiLakes is another good place to shoot. No loaners, but someone is always willing to let you use their gun.

http://www.multilakes.com/

One more is Pat's place in Brighton.

Island Lake Shooting Center

http://www.mishoot.com/island-lake.html

He has rentals there and is a top notch place to shoot.

His other place is Bald Mountain.

Have shot all the clay sports for many years, at all of these places. Been a member at two of them. Go, have fun and with the nice weather coming up join a league.

JimSig
03-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Western Wayne County Conservation Club in Plymouth runs clay shooting for public on Saturdays and Sundays.. They offer a free loaner (Remington autoloader) for people who like to shoot and don't have a shotgun. You pay for the range fee ($5 or $6 I forgot) and for the ammo (around $7 or $8 per a box of 25).. Here is a link to a nice website with feedback from people who went there:

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/club.php/2400

I would advise you to start by shooting trap first .. It is relatively easier than skeet (to me at least).. And once you start breaking these clays, That's where the fun starts..

Pals_id
03-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks everyone,

Everytime I check back there are more great replies and even PM offers to show me the ropes on the clay ranges.

I really appreciate all the great advice and people on this forum.

I work second shift and Saturdays are the main day I could try it out, so the Western Wayne County Conservation Club sounds like it would work well too, thanks JimSig.

JimSig
03-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks everyone,

Everytime I check back there are more great replies and even PM offers to show me the ropes on the clay ranges.

I really appreciate all the great advice and people on this forum.

I work second shift and Saturdays are the main day I could try it out, so the Western Wayne County Conservation Club sounds like it would work well too, thanks JimSig.

:thup: Glad to help .. Enjoy the shoot..

Pals_id
03-30-2011, 02:37 AM
I have now tried sporting clays and really liked the experience...thanks Eric for including me in the group, letting me use your gun, and all the great advice since!! All I can say is there is some great people on this forum.

I have ordered a Browning Silver Sporting 12ga and plan on breaking a lot of clays this year...well at least a few, but I will shoot the gun a lot anyway. Can't wait to try my hand at trap, skeet, and sporting clays again.