PDA

View Full Version : Charlton Heston ‘Missed,' Not Forgotten

Knimrod
10-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Charlton Heston ‘Missed,' Not Forgotten
NewsMax.com Wires
Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2005

On Oct. 4, screen legend and former president of the National Rifle Association Charlton Heston turned 82 years old. He still lives at his home in Beverly Hills, Calif. - 90210 - with his wife of over 50 years, Lydia Clarke Heston.

Tony Makris of Alexandria, Virginia's Mercury Group public relations firm, a longtime friend who handles NRA public relations, tells NewsMax that he had dinner with Heston and family just last Sunday.

The famous actor, Makris said, is in the midst of a "quiet retirement."

In 2002, Heston was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. His last major public appearance was at the NRA in April 2003, days before he officially stepped down as the organization's president.

"I see him about once a month and I can tell you that only a very small group interacts with Mr. Heston these days," Makris told NewsMax.

Makris said some media reports about Mr. Heston's condition have been completely wrong.

Meetings with Mr. Heston by people who know him, Makris noted, have not "quelled various inaccurate press reports detailing a reportedly pitiful condition.

"We're all not the people we used to be. He is doing as well as can be expected.

"The family basically at this point has no comment on his condition. And there are plenty of requests – including a recent one from Parade magazine."

Makris grows reflective
"I can tell you that the man is still missed," said Makris. "Got a call during the last Bush campaign (2004) from a staffer on the Bush campaign bus, who confided to me how much Charlton was missed. I really appreciated the sentiment and passed it on to Charlton.

"Heston always had a real impact with his speeches and appearances, and part of the reason is that the man was engaged in the process all the time – it was never a sometimes thing with him."

Although best known for his iconic roles as Ben-Hur and Moses, Heston toured for the State Department's Cultural Presentation Program and had been a delegate to the Berlin Film Festival.

A World War II U.S. Army veteran, he visited troops fighting during the Vietnam War and was a strong supporter of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

In 1981, Heston was named co-chairman of President Ronald Reagan's Task Force on the Arts and Humanities. Charlton has served on the National Council on the Arts and was elected president of the Screen Actors Guild six times.

Furthermore, he has held the office of chairman and president of the American Film Institute and served four terms as President of the National Rifle Association of America. He has authored five books.

In 2003, Heston received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Bush.

Link to full story (http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/10/11/163743.shtml)

keyjockey
10-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Mr. Heston is truly an icon in the entertainment world and in the world in general. A very accomplished man.

The NRA doesn't have near the exposure to the general public that it had when he was at the helm.

Susan Froman, Wayne LaPierre, Chris Cox.....these names are only known within the NRA membership. Heston's name was known to virtually everyone. His leadership lent an air of class to the organization that it just doesn't quite have since he stepped down.

Yes, he is missed.

50 BMG
10-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Now, I just wish we will get the chance to "miss" a few OTHER NRA heads/BOD members... Like some that were mentioned above...