PDA

View Full Version : Local women play, learn in the great outdoors

Knimrod
10-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Local women play, learn in the great outdoors
By Corky Emrick
Sturgis Journal

THREE RIVERS — Sixty-four women got to try activities such as handgun shooting, primitive cooking, self-defense and archery Saturday at “Women in the Outdoors,” held at the Three Rivers Eagles Recreation Area.

The event is designed to introduce women to outdoor sports along with promoting outdoor sports.

Mary Weigle, who is the producer and director of a nationally syndicated television show called One Shot Challenge into Muzzle Loading and Archery was the archery instructor.

Her program will air on The Sportsman Channel starting this month.

Weigle believes in promoting women in the outdoors with an emphasis on having the right equipment.

Leslie York of Sturgis was shotgun instructor at the event. York is a hunting safety instructor with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and a 4-H leader for “Straight Shooters.”

Handgun teachers included Wesley Garner, John Farnam and Larry York.

Awards were presented to women for marksmanship at the end of the day.

The women also got a chance to experiment with outdoor cooking over an open fire and using cast iron.

They were able to sample their cooking creations.

Carol Zeller of Michael’s Arts and Crafts in Battle Creek was on hand to teach techniques for making fall floral arrangements.

Other activities included leaf casting, a nature walk and turkey calling.

New to this year’s event was a self-defense class that focused on self-confidence and sureness of oneself.

Participants also learned some techniques that can be used in everyday situations.

Link to full story (http://www.sturgisjournal.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=65&ArticleID=19690)

ZIPGRAVER
10-14-2005, 07:18 AM
Good for them!

Meta4
10-14-2005, 09:55 AM
Wow, that's my tiny little backwater hometown. I might just swell up with pride over that one.

As small as this town is, though, this is the first I've heard of the event. It's good to hear the ladies had fun, though.

-James