PDA

View Full Version : Detroit River Walleye fishing

Ferd
03-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Well, it looks like I'll be heading over to fish for some walleyes in the Detroit River next month with a couple buddys. I think we're staying at a place in Woodhaven(?). They like to go to 3Nicks for a couple brews while there. Can you guys recommend any other interesting establishments in the area? Also, what's your favorite rig for walleye?

jsteinmetz
03-21-2011, 07:15 PM
People will tell you all kinds of tackle, but we have used crawler harnesses for years. Great for drift fishing in the evenings.

Check out Sinbad's - it's downtown by Connor and Jefferson. Have not been there in years, but used to be a neat place to hang out. Food was decent, also. It's northeast of Woodhaven by a bit, but depending on where you are fishing, they have docks to tie up to while you are out.

wadevb1
03-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Warming waters will push the spawning eyes into the big lake (Michigan) in two weeks or less and they will be hungry.

Love night walley fishing....I usually head out at 0100.

aquatic-archer
03-21-2011, 08:16 PM
On the river fireball jigs with stinger hooks and minnows are your best bet.
Use enough weight to keep line vertical just off bottom and stand on the trolling motor to keep that line vertical. Will work anywhere on the river. Prefer Elizabeth Park(Trenton Trench) early than Wyandotte as they more up river.

PackRat
03-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Warming waters will push the spawning eyes into the big lake (Michigan) in two weeks or less and they will be hungry.

Won't the warming waters attract spawners up the rivers instead of pushing them into the big lakes?

sullyxlh
03-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Won't the warming waters attract spawners up the rivers instead of pushing them into the big lakes?They're head'n to the river
Maumee is on.
Det rvr will be here real soon
Sun AM lower marked a few in some holes we knew but nothing to brag about
had couple lite bites but no takers
Eaters will come later hog hunt'n is now
1/2 doz boats didn't see any nets get'n wet jiggers or liners
Cold but nicer than anything
no ice flows...yet.....

Well, it looks like I'll be heading over to fish for some walleyes in the Detroit River next month with a couple buddys. I think we're staying at a place in Woodhaven(?). If your staying ANYWHERE in that area SECURE your stuff WELL.
Bring your gear electronics and whatever in the hotel with you
don't rely on the canvas boat cover to keep them out
Also keep an eye on your prop.
Lotta people in town to fish get hit this time of year cause there not careful...

Ferd
03-23-2011, 12:12 PM
If your staying ANYWHERE in that area SECURE your stuff WELL.
Bring your gear electronics and whatever in the hotel with you
don't rely on the canvas boat cover to keep them out
Also keep an eye on your prop.
Lotta people in town to fish get hit this time of year cause there not careful...
I asked my buddy about the hotel. He says they've been staying there for 5-6 years now and is well aware. Although, he also says they've never had any problem, they do bring most stuff in the room.

It looks like we'll be there on April 20-24th. Hoping for some good fishing.

JohnJak
03-23-2011, 01:26 PM
I miss hand lining on the river with my dad.

mikethepike
03-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Heading out sunday for some of the big girls...stay tuned, pics to follow

PackRat
03-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Heading out sunday for some of the big girls...stay tuned, pics to follow

Just pics and release right?

Jack-w-1911
04-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Well, it looks like I'll be heading over to fish for some walleyes in the Detroit River next month with a couple buddys. I think we're staying at a place in Woodhaven(?). They like to go to 3Nicks for a couple brews while there. Can you guys recommend any other interesting establishments in the area? Also, what's your favorite rig for walleye?
Woodhaven is a decent area. You shouldn't have a problem, but I'd still bring in the electronics and the tackle boxes. One can't be too careful with ones prized tackle. I haven't fished much since i sold my boat, but my favorite in the river are crawler rigs on bottom bouncers.

Brooklyn's in Wyandotte is a good place to have a few. They're less than a mile from the river too.

Skinner 2
04-04-2011, 11:18 AM

Why are they illegle to keep?

Skinner

mikethepike
04-04-2011, 04:14 PM

They are legal to keep, but the big ones i throw back after a picture or 2 and let them finish their breeding cycle. Imo , the eater walleye are better tasting to me:cheers:

CalebL1911
04-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Heading out to detroit river this weekend. Any updates on what the walleye have been doing the last couple of days?

Jack-w-1911
04-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Heading out to detroit river this weekend. Any updates on what the walleye have been doing the last couple of days?
Well, I haven't made any inquiries to the shops around, but the crowds are in force near Mud Island.

pkuptruck
04-14-2011, 11:23 AM

swimming...mostly....:heybuddy:

down by bridge and cobo... most of the guys are on the canadien side, and handlining ... its really murky over there.... and they are drifitng the line between murky and clean.....

Ferd
04-14-2011, 05:58 PM
a couple monsters have been caught this past week on the detroit river. one was over 13# and tuesday someone caught one that was 15.9# Water temps are just about right to start the run. I'll be there next week...can't wait.

Gonna be real crowded this weekend. One of the pro tournaments will be there. Lots of extra boats and film crews.

CalebL1911
04-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Michigan vs Michigan state Rusty Reel walleye tournament is this sunday. we'll only have about 15 boats on the water total though

sullyxlh
04-15-2011, 06:14 AM
a couple monsters have been caught this past week on the detroit river. one was over 13# and tuesday someone caught one that was 15.9# Water temps are just about right to start the run. I'll be there next week...can't wait.

Gonna be real crowded this weekend. One of the pro tournaments will be there. Lots of extra boats and film crews.With high dollar ignorant asswipes that don't give two šhits on who they wake
Between them and the dolt that acts proud with a stringer of 9lb fish
It can be a joke down there sometimes....

mikethepike
04-17-2011, 03:12 PM
With high dollar ignorant asswipes that don't give two šhits on who they wake
Between them and the dolt that acts proud with a stringer of 9lb fish
It can be a joke down there sometimes....

The boats with all the sponsors are the f-ing a-holes who blast past you @ 60mph 20 yds off your bow deserve to get no-wake tickets. $ on the line or not is no excuse to be a rude, self centered ass hat who risks my safety just so they can make weigh in time.

Get an mc # and report them to the local PD for a 125.00 no wake ticket. No questions asked

CalebL1911
04-17-2011, 07:06 PM
nobody really out there today. very muddy, not a whole lot of action either.

Ferd
04-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Overall, it was a great trip. Caught 1 wall hanger on Wednesday, caught a few more on thursday, got our 3 man limit on friday and got 3 more this morning before heading back home. Horrible conditions...but it was still fun.

This was the 1st and only fish I caught on Wednesday. 11lb 12oz and 29". Headed to the taxidermist this week.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1522/6647589/23780690/396398695.jpg

Ferd
04-24-2011, 05:03 PM
This is Friday's catch. Happiness= a full live well. 3 man limit.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1522/6647589/23780690/396398694.jpg

Another set of our friends got a 4 man limit Friday in just over 3 hours.

CoponPatrol
04-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Nice work Ferd.

Flying out of Detroit last Sunday, I couldn't believe how muddy the River and Lake Erie was. The only thing I could think of is the melting snow and the rain runoffs. Even Pelee and the Bass Islands were surrounded by dirty water. Never have seen that before. It's quite interesting to view everything from the air and know where and what you are looking at.

Good luck fishing guy's and gal's. I miss Michigan fishing big time.