PDA

View Full Version : As House Prepares to Pass Gun Immunity Law, Brady Center Vows Constitutional Attack

Knimrod
10-19-2005, 11:14 AM
As House Prepares to Pass Gun Immunity Law, Brady Center Vows Constitutional Attack

10/18/2005 4:14:00 PM
<hr>
To: National Desk

Contact: Peter Hamm of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, 202-898-0792

WASHINGTON, Oct. 18 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Lawyers at the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, who have spearheaded lawsuits against negligent gun sellers and manufacturers, today said they intend to attack the constitutionality of the gun industry legal immunity bill scheduled to reach the House Floor tomorrow.

Dennis Henigan, Director of the Brady Center's Legal Action Project, issued this statement: "The Congress can pass it. The President can sign it. But this shameful law will not stand. We will challenge the constitutionality of this special interest extravaganza in every court where the rights of gun violence victims are being threatened. This bill is an unprecedented attack on the due process rights of victims injured by the misconduct of an industry that seeks to escape the legal rules that govern the rest of us. We believe state and federal courts across this Nation are prepared to strike it down."

Brady Center lawyers have nine pending lawsuits against gun sellers and manufacturers, in which they represent individual victims of gun violence, as well as urban municipalities. The cases are pending in the states of Indiana, New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, North Carolina and in the District of Columbia. It is anticipated that the defendants in each of these cases will seek to have the cases dismissed based on the law once it is signed by President Bush.

The first of these cases scheduled to go to trial is the lawsuit brought by New York City against the gun industry, set to begin trial in federal court in Brooklyn on November 28 of this year. The suit charges the gun industry with contributing to a public nuisance in New York City by selling guns through retail dealers who facilitate trafficking of guns into the illegal market.

http://www.usnewswire.com/

-0-

/© 2005 U.S. Newswire 202-347-2770/

Tallbear
10-20-2005, 11:34 AM
!2 O'clock news said this bill passed and is on it's way to the Presidents desk where he said he would sign it.

G22
10-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Which version?

With or without trigger locks?

Tallbear
10-20-2005, 12:32 PM
I looked it up and it looks like they left the "locks" in the bill. (S. 397)

G22
10-20-2005, 01:39 PM
OK, I need help!

``(1) IN GENERAL.--Except as provided under paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer any handgun to any person other than any person licensed under this chapter, unless the transferee is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device (as defined in section 921(a)(34)) for that handgun.

I can't for the life of me find "section 921(a)(34)"

Where the heck is it?

(edit) Never mind I think I found it!!