View Full Version : Student shot in Saginaw High hallway

Knimrod
10-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Student shot in Saginaw High hallway
Suspect in custody, victim expected to survive
Thursday, October 20, 2005

BY JOE SNAPPER
THE SAGINAW NEWS

A 15-year-old student shot in the chest by his classmate today inside Saginaw High School emerged from surgery about 2 p.m. in critical condition but is expected to survive, police officials said.
Saginaw police said they have a 15-year-old suspect in custody and recovered a gun within minutes of the noon shooting in a crowded hallway, Detective Bob Ruth said.

Several students and parents said the gunplay was gang-related. Both victim and suspect are 10th-graders at the school, Ruth said. Witnesses said up to three shots were fired.

The incident sent the school into lockdown for at least the next 2 1/2 hours, drawing scores of angry parents to its doors demanding their children's release after their sons and daughters called them from cell phones.

The victim, Daniel Foster, was standing in a second-floor hallway when another teen pulled a handgun from his coat and shot, several witnesses said.

"The dude just whipped out his gun and started shooting," said Clarence Hatchett, a 16-year-old junior.

A 16-year-old girl, too fearful of retaliation to give her name, said Foster yelled, "All, I got shot!"

He then ran a few paces, fell sideways to the floor and began kicking his legs, she said.

Another witness, a 17-year-old junior who asked to remain anonymous for fear of retaliation, told The Saginaw News that gang members from the city's North Side bet the assailant he wouldn't shoot.

She said she was standing 15 feet away from the group of "10 boys" as one of them was bragging about having a gun, she said.

The others dared him to shoot Foster, who several witnesses said lives on the city's South Side.

"They said they'd give him $20 or $40 or something," said the 17-year-old girl. "I didn't' really believe them."

The teen pulled a handgun out of the black Carhartt-style coat he was wearing, she said.

"You seen the dude just shoot," she said. "It looked like he had a little .44 (gun), if you ask me."

Ruth, the city detective, said Foster, who underwent surgery at Covenant Medical Center, is likely to survive.

"If he's made it this far, he'll make it," Ruth said.

Joe Snapper is a staff writer for The Saginaw News. You may reach him at 776-9715.

Link to Story (http://www.mlive.com/news/sanews/index.ssf?/stories/news/20051020_sa_studentshot.html)

Dan
10-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Wait? I thought schools are a gun free zone........ :rolleyes:

Meta4
10-21-2005, 09:41 AM
This is a perfect example of why teachers and administrators should be allowed to carry concealed. I'm sure the anti's will just love this.

-James

ffde31
10-22-2005, 06:02 AM
See that's just it, if you will give up your guns incidents like this won't happen anymore. The police and the government will protect us. HA Ha!!! As LaPierre said "Remember New Orleans."