PDA

View Full Version : Williams Rifle Range...

ERock
03-27-2011, 07:03 AM
After visiting the 100 yard range at Williams yesterday, makes me appreciate just how great my normal rifle range is at Bald Mountain....

The stations are awful. Boards in the stations are way to low to shoot comfortably with how they're stations are setup (for me at least, taller guy).

The target posts are terrible. They give you targets at the door when you pay, but the targets they give you are too short to fit in-between the boards at the 100 range. Had to use my taller targets. When I did that, the range operator told me to not shoot his boards since my target was covering both boards. (FYI, I was on the side closest to the building). Fix your boards for normal target sheets and I wouldn't have to cover your boards with taller targets.

Range operator giving me a lecture for taking my ear plugs out to repack them for maybe 5-10 seconds. Threatened to kick me and reminded me the rules are posted on the door before I came in...oh and that they could be sued for me taking out my ear protection for a few seconds. FYI, there was one other person shooting down at the other far end of the range.

Give me a break. After that encounter, I packed up my stuff and moved to the 30.

30 yard was actually better. The range guy at the 30 was a lot nicer. Talked to us about what we were shooting, etc... I didn't have to look like Quasimodo in order to shoot and the target boards were actually spaced correctly to hang normal targets.

All in all, I probably won't be back to Williams rifle range.

The store itself is fine and I never had a problem with anything inside the store or been to the clay shooting area. But they need to clean up that 100 yard range. I normally go to bald mountain, so maybe I'm spoiled a bit.

Just posting my experience at the 100. 30 yard area was actually enjoyable.

Hockey9019
03-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Was it a younger guy at the 30 yd range?

I agree, the boards are too far apart for those targets. The low hanging wood bothers me too

Howard000003
03-27-2011, 04:31 PM
I agree with the low shooting stations. Even the 30 yard range is not very comfortable (tall guy also). I've never had a bad encounter with a RSO there. All have been very polite and helpful.

ERock
03-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Was it a younger guy at the 30 yd range?

I agree, the boards are too far apart for those targets. The low hanging wood bothers me too

The 30 yard guy was an older gentlemen (maybe 50's) with a decent long beard. Taller too.

The guy on the 100 yard was older (maybe 60ish), short, stout and bald. Drove a dodge ram.

I went out to bald mountain today and what a huge difference. At Williams I could not get a good grouping and all around 4-5". I go out to bald mountain today and I was pulling 1-2" groups comfortably at 100 yards with my 30-30. And I didn't get harassed or hovered by the range officer. (the 2 guys at BM are always cool to talk to and polite.)

Cbligh
03-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Wow, I find your post very interesting. I shoot at Williams regularly and have never had a problem with the RO's or the target hangers. The RO's have always been friendly and helpful, if sometimes stretched bit thin. I shoot both pistol ranges and both rifle ranges. Have they changed something recently? By the way, if I am thinking correctly, the "low hanging wood" is there in an attempt to keep your muzzles down to avoid shooting over the berm. I was there on the pistol range (7yard) today, and did not notice any differences. Oh well, off day maybe? At least at Williams, I don't have to listen to the RO's gripe about my picking up my brass as I have had happen at some of the DNR ranges.

Neverquitever
04-03-2011, 09:08 AM
I think I might check out this Bald Mountain range. Might also have some decent hiking nearby. I've had good experiences with the RSO at Williams for the most part though.

k20350
06-29-2011, 11:59 AM
I have done buisness w/ Williams for a long time. In the last year there have been management "changes". The old manager was great but got run off for whatever reason. I have spent thousands there. Used to be all the counter people knew the regulars and they had been there a long time. Now its all new faces. I went there the other day and stood there for 10 minutes while the counter guys BS'd about whatever. I had $1500 in my pocket wanting a new AR-15. Said F*#K IT and went to Dick Williams gunshop. Just a shame used to go in there at least once a week. Now it will be a long time before I go back. As for the range, like I have mentioned I have been a long time customer. I got thrown off the range a few months ago for using my own targets and the "RO" said I was tearing up his boards. I think the $1600 worth of rifle I was shooting (that i bought from them) could cover a bent 2x4 or too. Just sucks used to love the place:cry:

OldDoggy
06-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Why not find and join one of the many Rifle and Pistol clubs in southern Michigan. Most have ranges out to and past the 90 yards of the comercial range you mentioned, and they are kept in good repair year round. You also could become involved in various shooting activities from NRA hipower and rimfire competative shooting to CMP old rifle "Games". You could also become involved in IDPA, Bulls Eye and Police Pistol shooting if you enjoy handgun shooting. Most also offer activities for the shotgunner and black powder enthusiast. Been many years since I've joined up with a couple of clubs and I've really had a good shooting time of it. Just Another Old Doggy, Don