PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson Lifetime Warranty

BadWeb
03-30-2011, 10:26 PM
I just thought I would post my recent experience with the service of a Smith and Wesson model 629 44 magnum revolver.

I purchased this revolver, a 629 44 magnum with 6 inch barrel in 1989. In the early 90s, I noticed the barrel had spun slightly to the left and I put it up to be repaired. I hadn't done anything with it for a number of years (22).

Recently, I decided to start shooting again (I know....I really didn't know what I was missing!). I contacted Smith & Wesson through their website to see what I needed to do to get my gun repaired, fully prepared to pay what ever I needed to have it restored to like new condition.

I was contacted by a representative (via email) and instructed to return the gun to Smith & Wesson in the original box, if available, postage paid by Smith & Wesson. They sent me a prepaid FedEX label to attach to the packaging the revolver was packaged in.

The gun was returned a week later, repaired, with postage paid. A letter included stated what had been done to return the revolver to factory specifications. A note thanking me for being a customer of Smith & Wesson.

I had no out of pocket expense...at all. Even though the gun required service, it was a pleasant experience for me all the way around. A 22 year old gun, repaired for free...including shipping to and from.

I have never had this kind of experience before in my life with anything I have owned. This really restores my dedication to the American way I had grown up with.

Thank you Smith & Wesson.

Super Trucker
03-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Good thing you were the original owner, if they know you are not the original owner they will not warranty the gun.
If you buy a used gun that somebody else had sent in for warranty, or somebody used the serial number for rebate/free mags etc, they will charge you for shipping and repairs.

Eric00
03-30-2011, 11:00 PM
well i contacted S&W about my gun that i carried on and off for less than 6months and the finish went to crap and was pitting and rusting. first thing they asked was have i ever cleaned it with hoppes and i said "yes once" (it was a new gun that just got the cloth wipe down most of the time)

so they blamed it on me, hoppes made it rust. I told them "well my everyday carry G27(2 years of carry at this point) and pocket BUG Kel tec p32 (3-4 years of carry) Still looked great. So this was the end of contact after being blown off over the phone and once threw email

so time goes by and i continue to read all the talk about the M&P decide to e-mail S&W about my past issues and that i was considering becoming a S&W customer again, However i felt a coupon / discount was due (So i simply asked) I wasnt looking for a free gun just acknowledgement, 10% off maybe-hat-sticker something well all the did was send me a E-mail back after 2 from me saying they are not currently doing rebates

Sorry end of rant, Happy they came threw for you:-)

1-2many
03-31-2011, 02:38 PM
I've had two S&W M&Ps (a .40c & a .40) with 'the' rusty slide issue that I was not the original owner both replaced within a week with no out of pocket.

919cw313
03-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Good thing you were the original owner, if they know you are not the original owner they will not warranty the gun.
If you buy a used gun that somebody else had sent in for warranty, or somebody used the serial number for rebate/free mags etc, they will charge you for shipping and repairs.

As they should.

headshok
04-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Nice to hear they havent changed much in the service dept.

I havent used them in years, but the few times i have, it was great service as well.

Dabears!
04-12-2011, 10:19 AM
well i contacted S&W about my gun that i carried on and off for less than 6months and the finish went to crap and was pitting and rusting. first thing they asked was have i ever cleaned it with hoppes and i said "yes once" (it was a new gun that just got the cloth wipe down most of the time)

so they blamed it on me, hoppes made it rust. I told them "well my everyday carry G27(2 years of carry at this point) and pocket BUG Kel tec p32 (3-4 years of carry) Still looked great. So this was the end of contact after being blown off over the phone and once threw email

so time goes by and i continue to read all the talk about the M&P decide to e-mail S&W about my past issues and that i was considering becoming a S&W customer again, However i felt a coupon / discount was due (So i simply asked) I wasnt looking for a free gun just acknowledgement, 10% off maybe-hat-sticker something well all the did was send me a E-mail back after 2 from me saying they are not currently doing rebates

Sorry end of rant, Happy they came threw for you:-)

a hat or sticker really?
you just wanted a handout

Jmoney
04-12-2011, 11:27 AM

I have sent them two guns thus far that were both bought used and they repaired both of them no questions asked and with a fast turn around time at that. One of the best warranty/customer service departments I have ever delt with.

bjr
04-12-2011, 09:05 PM
FWIW,

I sent a barrel in to them from a 5906 that I bought used, as it was a little buggered up at the muzzle, and in 2 weeks got a brand new one sent to me.
No charge whatsoever, no questions asked.

They currently have my M28-6 made in 1968 that I recently bought. Just want them to go through it and replace/adjust anything out of spec. I think the cost is 40 dollars for the check out plus any parts/labor needed, but I have not spoke with them for a couple of weeks (other than me calling to make sure it got there OK )....we shall see.

So far, they have been great.

Brad

BadWeb
04-18-2011, 05:05 PM
http://mob1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa383/JoesKool/106_0160.jpg
This is how it was returned from factory service. It was out of my hands the total of 6 days, including weekend.

Things completed: Turn barrel. Cut forcing cone. As noted on paperwork returned with gun.

Hawgrider
04-19-2011, 05:46 AM
If you buy a used gun that somebody else had sent in for warranty, or somebody used the serial number for rebate/free mags etc, they will charge you for shipping and repairs.They honored the warranty on my M&P and I bought it used. I told them I was not the original owner. No cost to me. :clap:

Knightrider03m
04-19-2011, 07:41 PM
I had them do a trigger job on my Sigma and my gun was out of service for a total of 14 days (from drop off at fedex to drop off at my door step). I was a happy camper.

tchad
05-23-2013, 09:30 AM
I guess times have changed. I had read up on S&W great service policy and bought a used 625. Turns out it needed some adjusting. I called to make sure everything was received as I hadn't ever used a manufacturer for repairs. Guy on the other end said it would be 4-6 weeks before they could get me an estimate. I said "oh, so they've got to look at it and determine it wasn't anything under warranty?" to which he replied "It's a used gun, we will be sending you an invoice" and then hung up.

I've never ever had a problem with the 4 Taurus guns I've owned and will be returning. If you won't stand behind a product regardless of who owns it, I don't think I can trust your product. A warrantied issue that one owner has for a lifetime should carry over. Changing hands doesn't change who made it.

who dat
05-23-2013, 09:52 AM
They honored the warranty on my M&P and I bought it used. I told them I was not the original owner. No cost to me. :clap:
Same here with a Walther.

joepistol
05-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Having owned more than a few S&W revolvers over the years, it wasn't 'till I purchased a used model 617 from a MGO member, that I needed to use their repair facility. I loved the pistol & had some trigger work done, after which I noticed I was having difficulty extracting fired cases from the cylinder. Did a very thorough cleaning of the inner "burn rings" inside the cylinder, there was a small area I just couldn't get out /off. Took it to gunsmith (Doug Jones) and using a magnified loupe, he determined the area I thought was a buildup of carbon residue was actually an eroded area in the wall of the chamber. We discussed alternatives to fix, Doug suggesting a call to S&W customer service dept. They sent a prepaid shipping label w/instructions how to ship. Gun was returned , a new cylinder fitted & returned to me in about a week. No charge for anything. I believe I told them I purchased the gun used. I can't recall if I offered the info, or if they asked.In any case, there was no charge for the repair.
This was done a year or so ago...Joepistol..:pistols:

Cocowheats
05-24-2013, 02:40 AM
Thank goodness you didn't have to warranty a Walther through them...I hear nothing but nightmares in that department(sadly)....maybe it's Internet folklore.

who dat
05-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Thank goodness you didn't have to warranty a Walther through them...I hear nothing but nightmares in that department(sadly)....maybe it's Internet folklore.
See post 14. :heybuddy:

JDG
05-29-2013, 06:44 AM
Good to hear of good CS! I have had the same good service with Ruger and Kimber, with no out of pocket. I think the difference between good service on pre-owned guns, and having to pay for warranty work, is the attitude of the customer..... Kimber picked up the shipping on my "out of warranty" Ultra Carry, only after talking "nicely" to the customer service personell for quite awhile explaining the history of the gun. They did not have to pick up the shipping outside of the warranty period.

JohnJak
06-02-2013, 07:09 AM
I guess times have changed. I had read up on S&W great service policy and bought a used 625. Turns out it needed some adjusting. I called to make sure everything was received as I hadn't ever used a manufacturer for repairs. Guy on the other end said it would be 4-6 weeks before they could get me an estimate. I said "oh, so they've got to look at it and determine it wasn't anything under warranty?" to which he replied "It's a used gun, we will be sending you an invoice" and then hung up.

Unless someone did a joe bob gunsmith repair, S&W will take care of their products.

afonz
06-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Picked up a bodyguard 380 in mid February . Stuck it in the safe till I could find some ammo. I finally did, got it out to do a first cleaning before a trip to the range , and noticed a finish issue on the slide. Looked like overspray of something from the factory. Needless to say, it wouldn't come off. Pulled out the mag, and it was on there as well. Not a happy camper at this point. Emailed customer service, they responded within 2 days with a prepaid FedEx shipping label. Sent it out on a Saturday, got it back in 7 business days with a new slide and a new mag, no questions asked. I am impressed. Good customer service is hard to come by these days. It shouldn't have slipped by QC, but they took care of it, and I'm good with that.

pingeagle
06-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks for posting afonz. I purchased a Bodyguard 380 recently with the same issue you described. I sent S&W an email today and I'm hoping they can repair or replace my slide like they did for you. In the future I will be more closely inspecting any firearm I purchase.

afonz
06-12-2013, 09:22 PM
No problem Pingeagle. I too will be inspecting my firearms more closely before taking delivery. I just refused delivery on a Springfield xds for having scratches and part of the logo on the slide didn't even have a finish on it. This was right out of the box. Scratches and nicks are gonna happen, but I'm going to be the one putting them there. Good luck with SW, any questions about it, let me know.

PeeDee
06-13-2013, 11:13 PM
I almost bought a used airweight until a relative in PA told me about his experience with a barely used airweight he bought and S&W refused to warranty a mis-cut forcing cone because he bought it used. I even called S&W and asked their policy on warranty w/o mentioning used vs. new and they verified it.

(And another reason I passed on the airweight is this -

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_16/138595_642_with_cracked_frame.html

I know there are "a million that have had no problems" ( YET? ) and that "every mfg has one or two slip thru the cracks sometime" but I would not take a modern airweight as a gift.

YMMV

jackstan
08-18-2013, 03:59 PM
I haven't used S&W repair center for many years mostly because I'm not competing anymore and the guns don't wear so much when you aren't shooting them . My model twenty-nine I bought new in 1985 , many thousands of rounds later it was leading more than it should so I sent it in . It came back with a new barrel and cylinder and poor blue job but shot good .

Many more thousands of rounds the trigger pivot pin broke , sent it in and they billed me for the replacement and the poor blue job . Still the gun shot great so I kept on . Yet more thousands of rounds later leading was back again so I returned it . It got a new barrel and a perfect blue finish on it and shot better than anytime in the past . Though it always did shoot really well .

I never did figure them out though , I shot it a lot in compitition and practice wearing out two barrels and cylinders . They replaced those but when the trigger pivot pin snapped they billed me for it . I still can't figure out how that broke .

A 686 I bought new had a problem with the clyinder staying on the crane so I sent that back . Not only did they fix it but they smoothed up the trigger and it is the smoothest double action I have .

I'm overall pretty happy with their repair work though the last time I used their service was ten or fifteen years ago .

Jack

RevDerb
08-18-2013, 08:07 PM
OP, sounds like S&W has taken a page out of Ruger's customer service manual. Glad that they came through for you. :thup: